- When Mohammed was a child, the Arabs were divided into warring tribes, a few of them Christian, but mainly pagan.
- A recent small pox epidemic and the threat of attack by warring tribes created a fertile ground for fear and suspicion.
- However, groups such as Citi or Merrill appear to have developed a more hierarchical pattern, in which the different business lines have existed like warring tribes, answerable only to the chief.
- The tribe confederate in the war against intruder.
- The temptation was warring with his conscience.
- The war was lost because of a shortage of munitions.