- [U]事实,真相,实情 that which is true
- [U]真实性 quality or state of being true
- [C]真理 fact, belief, etc. that is accepted as true
a fact that has been verified;
"at last he knew the truth"
"the truth is that he didn't want to do it"
conformity to reality or actuality;
"they debated the truth of the proposition"
"the situation brought home to us the blunt truth of the military threat"
"he was famous for the truth of his portraits"
"he turned to religion in his search for eternal verities"
a true statement;
"he told the truth"
"he thought of answering with the truth but he knew they wouldn't believe it"
the quality of being near to the true value;
"he was beginning to doubt the accuracy of his compass"
"the lawyer questioned the truth of my account"
United States abolitionist and feminist who was freed from slavery and became a leading advocate of the abolition of slavery and for the rights of women (1797-1883)
- It is far from the truth.
- The truth verified the allegations.
- Practice is the sole criterion of truth.
- In science, mistakes always precede the truth.
- There is no truth in what he says.
- Your remark was wide of the truth.
- He tried to varnish over the truth with a lie.
- They were waiting with assurance for me to discover the truth for myself.
- I'm going to ascertain the truth.
- Your account of what happened approximates the truth, but there are several small errors.
- The crowd accepted her statement as truth.
- She could not bear to be confronted with the truth.
- I certified that the facts written here are the truth.
- He thinks that truth lies on either side or on neither side.
- How can you go on pretending that all is well, when the sad truth about your relationship is staring you in the face?
- The truth is she is spoilt by her grandmother.
- She tailored the lie to look like the truth.
- I grant the truth of what he says.
- I'll question the truth of his words.
- I recognized the truth of your statement.
- I can't answer for the truth of the statement.
- Are you satisfied of the truth of his story?
- Time sponges out all trace of truth.
- These are striking proofs of this truth.
- You must awake to the truth that an objective law is independent of man's will.
- No matter how rich and famous he became, he never lost sight of the truth that he was born in the slums.
- bring out the truth
获知秘密的事 obtain sth secret
- burst on the truth
突然发现真理 discover truth suddenly
- come at the truth
- elicit the truth
引出真相,探出真相 draw out facts, a response, etc. from sb
- evolve the truth
推断事实真相 develop truth in gradual stages (from sth)
- find out the truth
发现真实情况 discover a deceitful act
- hold back the truth
隐瞒真相 keep a secret
- know the truth
知道真相 know the facts
- learn the truth
知道事实真相 know the truth
- search for the truth
寻求真理 discover truth by enquiry or search
- seek after the truth
寻求真理 discover truth by searching
- speak the truth
说实话 tell the truth
- tell the truth
讲真话; 说实话 speak the truth; be perfectly honest
tell the truth
Thanks for the drink, but to tell the truth I prefer tea to coffee.
To tell the truth,I'm not very interested in going to the show.
I consider it my duty to tell the truth.
Fixing the boy with a steady look, the teacher forced him to tell the truth.
Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
You could almost see him struggling with his conscience before he chose to tell the truth.
“I suggest”, said the inspector,“that you are not telling the truth”.
Don't frighten me.He is telling the truth.
After looking me up and down for a few minutes, he decided that I was telling the truth.
I'm sure the prisoner is not telling the truth; talk to him and see if you can catch him out.
The witness is asked to swear upon the Bible that he will tell the truth.
The witness swore that she would tell the truth.
证人发誓要据实陈述。tell sb the truth
Joe prayed us not to tell his wife the truth.
She refused to tell us the truth.
- withhold the truth
不说真话 not tell the truth
- clear up the truth 澄清真相
- establish the truth 查明真相
- face the truth 面对真相
- face up to the truth 面对真相
- find out the truth 查明真相
- search for the truth 寻求真理
- speak the truth 说实话
- tell the truth 讲出实情,说实话
The king had alwayes known his truth and fidelitie towarde the crowne of Fraunce.出自： R. Grafton
- truth, reality
- This is not imagination but reality.这不是想象,而是现实。
- He became that country's ruler both in name and in reality.他成了该国名义上和事实上统治者。
- The child thought he was being helpful, but in reality he was a nuisance.那孩子认为他在帮忙,但实际上他是个令人讨厌的家伙。
- There is some truth in his remarks.
- There is some truth to his remarks.
误 These documents will prove that we are telling the truths.
正 These documents will prove that we are telling the truth.我们无法使他相信她讲的是实话。
误 We could not persuade him that she was telling the truths.
正 We could not persuade him that she was telling the truth.
析 tell the truth是习语,意思是“讲真话,说实话”, truth的词尾不加-s。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的triewth，意为忠实。