- adj. 强硬的；棘手的，难办的；艰苦的；严厉的；牢固的，强壮的；坚强的，坚韧的
- adv. 以强硬的态度；强硬地，顽强地
- n. 暴徒; 恶棍
- 坚韧的 not easily cut
- 坚强的 able to endure hardship
- 粗暴的 rough
- 老的,硬的 hard to cut or chew
- 严格的,强硬的 severe
- 困难的 difficult
someone who learned to fight in the streets rather than being formally trained in the sport of boxing
an aggressive and violent young criminal
a cruel and brutal fellow
not given to gentleness or sentimentality;
"a tough character"
very difficult; severely testing stamina or resolution;
"a rugged competitive examination"
"the rugged conditions of frontier life"
"the competition was tough"
"it's a tough life"
"it was a tough job"
"the tough bottoms of his feet"
substantially made or constructed;
"sturdy steel shelves"
"a tough all-weather fabric"
"some plastics are as tough as metal"
violent and lawless;
"the more ruffianly element"
"tough street gangs"
feeling physical discomfort or pain (`tough' is occasionally used colloquially for `bad');
"my throat feels bad"
"she felt bad all over"
"he was feeling tough after a restless night"
resistant to cutting or chewing
unfortunate or hard to bear;
"had hard luck"
"a tough break"
making great mental demands; hard to comprehend or solve or believe;
"a baffling problem"
"I faced the knotty problem of what to have for breakfast"
"a problematic situation at home"
- The government is taking a tough line on drug abuse.
- I am well aware that this is a tough job.
- Conditions are rather tough here.
- The law is tough on offenders.
- A gang of toughs attacked the police.
- He has a tough character.
- She is a tough person.
- This is a tough problem.
- He is dreadfully tough.
- The meat is inedibly tough.
- This policy is very tough.
- They are very tough on drunk drivers.
- He is tough to work with.
- get tough with
采用强硬手段take severe measures
- tough competition 激烈的竞争
- dreadfully tough 极其粗鲁的
- tough to work with 很难与…共事
- tough on 对…很严格
The dermis, the tough fibrous tissue of the skin.出自：Health Now
A tough impact-resistant thermoplastic housing.出自：Skin Diver
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的toh；最初源自古日耳曼语的tankhuz，意为困难的。
- toughish adj. 有点儿强硬的‖toughly adv. 有点儿强硬地‖toughness n. 坚韧,严格‖toughen vti. (使某物〔人〕)坚韧,坚强,强硬