- 也,还 also; in addition; as well
- 太,过于 more than enough; a higher degree than sth is necessary, right, or good
- 很,非常 very
to a degree exceeding normal or proper limits;
"he has a Mercedes, too"
- I will go, provided that you go too.
- It's too early for getting up.
- She broke her leg last week-and on her birthday too!
- I know too well that I get on her tits.
- They are coming tomorrow and I hope you will come too.
- I,too,was wrong.
- Here, too, the colon must be followed by a dash.
- I was wrong(,) too.
- He is a philosopher and a poet too.
- Too,the reader will find in this book many interesting illustrations.
- You are too young to join the army.
- The flu victim was too weak to walk.
- The shelf is too weak to hold all those books.
- The walls are too weak to hold up the roof.
- He is too ready to help others.
- Beginners are too apt to make mistakes in grammar.
- Rosie is all too satisfied to defeat the defending champion.
- I shall be only too pleased to get home.
- She is not too young to marry.
- It is never too late to mend.
- He is too careful not to have noticed it.
- He was too eager to meet his friend to sit out the meeting.
- I don't like her because she is too tall and furthermore she smokes too much.
- I bent back too far and hurt my neck.
- Don't make the coffee too weak.
- It wasn't too long before we had worked out a plan acceptable to all.
- She is rather too sure of herself.
- It's far〔much〕 too cold.
- He is too kind a person to refuse.
- We are too happy.
- Your father's not too pleased with you about this affair.
- It was too bad that he failed.
- How too terrible!
- How too delightful your expeditions must have been!
- I had flu last week.And I was on holiday too!
- I've lost an earring.It was an expensive one too.
- It is too,too apparent.
- be too much for
忍无可忍 be more than can be tolerated
- none too
一点也不 not at all
- once too often
次数太多 many times
You'd hate it too if you were me.出自： J. Betjeman
I too saw what he saw.出自： M. Amis
- too也可作“太”“过于”“过分”解,修饰形容词或副词,与动词不定式连用时构成too...to结构,以肯定形式表示否定意义,译作“太…以至不能”。但在下面的情况中too...to结构不表示否定意义:①如果too后的形容词是anxious,apt,easy,eager,kind,glad,ready,willing,delighted等, too相当于very, extremely, particularly(很,大,非常),动词不定式不与too呼应而是修饰形容词,因而表示肯定意义; ②too前有only,but,all等词时,便没有否定的意思; ③too前如有not, never的too...to结构不表示否定意义, not, never否定谓语动词,构成双重否定,因而表示肯定意义,作“并不(太)…所以能…”解; ④如不定式前有not时too...not to结构也不表示否定意义,是双重否定表示肯定意义,作“太…(很、非常)…不会〔能〕不…”解; ⑤如果该结构中有两个动词不定式,那么前一个用来修饰形容词,表示肯定意义,后一个用来修饰副词too,表示结果,表否定意义。
- too不能用very修饰,但可以用a little, a bit, rather, a lot, much 或 far 等来修饰。
- too可用于“too＋ adj. ＋a／an＋ n ”句型中。
- much too, too much
- 这两个短语构成相同,顺序不同,其意思和用法的区别是:much too之后跟形容词、副词,用来加强语气; too much中的中心词是much, too在任何情况下都修饰much,之后可跟不可数名词,可单独使用,也可接of短语或代词,还可放在句尾修饰动词。例如:
- The trams are much too slow.电车太慢。
- There is too much noise here.这里的噪音太厉害。
- We're having too much wet weather.我们这里下雨的日子太多。
- We have already taken up too much of your valuable time.我们占用了你许多的宝贵时间。
- The room is big, too much so for a child.这个房间对一个小孩来说太大了。
- He talked too much.他讲得太多了。
- too, also, as well, besides, either, moreover
- also一般用于肯定句,有强调意味,位于主谓语之间,即实义动词之前,助动词之后; too只用于肯定句中,一般位于句末,比also更口语化; either一般只用于否定句,多位于句末; as well和too一样多用于口语,放在句末; besides与moreover词义基本相同,但moreover后面所叙述的,通常比前面所叙述更为重要或更深入一步,在词序方面, moreover往往用于句首,另外, moreover是较为正式的用语。例如:
- He also asked to go.他也要去。
- I can also do it.我也能干那个活。
- English is not easy, and French is not easy either.英语不容易,法语也不容易。
- He is a teacher, and a writer as well.他是个教师,也是个作家。
- I don't like those shoes; besides, they're too expensive.那双鞋我不喜欢,而且也太贵。
- I don't like skating; moreover, the ice is too thin.我不想去溜冰,再说冰层也太薄。
- The Opposition have consistently accused the Government of corruption.Moreover, they have named names.反对党一直在指责政府腐败,而且是指名道姓的。
- I have seen this film, too.
- I, too, have seen this film.
误 This box is too heavy to lift it.
正 This box is too heavy to be lifted.这东西你拿,可能太重了吧?
误 Will this be too heavy for you to carry it?
正 Will this be too heavy for you to carry?
误 The child is too young not to go to school.
正 The child is too young to go to school.太热了,睡不着。
误 It is too hot not to sleep.
正 It is too hot to sleep.
误 You are too much kind to me.
正 You are much too kind to me.电车太慢。
误 The trams are too much slow.
正 The trams are much too slow.
析 用于加强语气时须用much too,其后跟形容词或副词。我不喜欢咖啡,我也不太喜欢茶。
误 I don't like coffee, and I don't much like tea, too.
正 I don't like coffee, and I don't much like tea, either.我也没看过这部片子。
误 I haven't seen this film, too.
正 I haven't seen this film, either.
误 It rained too heavily that they could not go home.
正 It rained so heavily that they could not go home.
析 在“too+形容词〔副词〕”后面不能与that从句连用。如用that从句, too就必须改成so。他是好心人,不会拒绝的。
误 He is too kind person to refuse.
正 He is too kind a person to refuse.
误 The soup's very too salty for me.
正 The soup's far too salty for me.这根绳子有点儿太短了。
误 The rope is quite too short.
正 The rope is a little too short.
析 too不能与very, quite, fairly, pretty等副词连用,表示too的程度; 可以使用much, far, a little, a lot等来修饰too。他太小,自己还不能穿衣。
误 He is young enough to dress himself.
正 He is too young to dress himself.
析 enough和too后都可以接不定式作结果状语,但意思不同。too...to...意为“太…以至于不…”,含有否定意义; ... enough to 意为“足以…干…”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的to，意为太。