- vt.使坚强；使 ... 硬如钢；使下定决心
- 使坚硬 ，使 ... 硬如钢
- [U] 钢,钢铁 a metal consisting of iron in a hard strong form containing some carbon and sometimes other metals, and used in building materials, cutting tools, machines, etc.
- vt. 使坚强,使坚定 make (especially oneself) hard, unfeeling, or determined
- an alloy of iron with small amounts of carbon; widely used in construction; mechanical properties can be varied over a wide range
- a cutting or thrusting weapon that has a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard
- knife sharpener consisting of a ridged steel rod
- get ready for something difficult or unpleasant
- cover, plate, or edge with steel
- The doctor inserted a steel plate into his damaged leg.
- The output value of iron and steel makes up one quarter of the country's national income.
- He is a man of steel who has experienced a lot of wars.
- He can steel himself against any blow now.
- He steeled himself to tell her about her father's death.
- The profits of the steel industry have fallen due to the measures of trade protectionism taken by that country.
- He gave me a steel grip while I tried to console him.
Hot steel is quenched to harden it.
Fingers like prongs of steel dug into his throat.
A bayonet blade is forged from the finest steel.
Most tools are made from steel.
The various steels produced are processed to meet the international standards.
Carbon steels exist in three stable crystalline phases.
She has a heart of steel.
He held my arm with a grip of steel.
The brave soldier had nerves of steel.
You must have nerves of steel to be able to climb up that tall chimney.
“I have made up my mind,”he said with steel in his voice.
They fought with cold steel.
The enemy may have recourse to steel instead of poison.
Give the enemy a taste of cold steel!
The knight plunged his steel into the bandit's throat.
Last year these steel plants achieved a 10 per cent increase over 1976.
We have succeeded in bending the thick steel plates.
In the steel plate five holes were drilled an inch apart.
In that country, steel output dropped further this year.
They expected steel production to reach 20 million tons.
The government has been pouring money into the steel industry recently.
The prisoner had filed through the steel bars and escaped.
The heavy steel doors mocked the attempts of the thieves to open the safe.
It is difficult to steel the razor.
They settled down in the countryside to steel their wills.
I'm afraid I have bad news for you, so steel yourself.
You should steel your heart to take things as they come.
He steeled himself to tell her about her father's death.
He steeled himself to go in and say he was wrong.
He steeled himself to meet the attacks.
She steeled herself to go in and say good-bye to her mother.
- steel against (v.+prep.)
使坚强起来以抗御或承受(某事) prepare, as by hardening (oneself, one's heart, etc.) to oppose or face (sth) steel sth/oneself against sth
It helps if you can steel yourself against failure.如果在失败时你能坚强些,那会有益处的。
She had to steel her heart against pity.她须硬起心肠以顶住怜悯之情。
- 使坚强起来以抗御或承受(某事) prepare, as by hardening (oneself, one's heart, etc.) to oppose or face (sth) steel sth/oneself against sth
- steel for (v.+prep.)
使…作好思想准备以对付(某事)或进行(某事) prepare (usually oneself) mentally to deal with (sth expected) or do (sth) steel oneself for sth
Our men must steel themselves for further attack.我们的战士要为再次受到攻击作好思想准备。
He steeled himself for the blow.他使自己坚强起来,经得起打击。
- 使…作好思想准备以对付(某事)或进行(某事) prepare (usually oneself) mentally to deal with (sth expected) or do (sth) steel oneself for sth
- export steel 出口钢材
- import steel 进口钢材
- make steel 炼钢,生产钢材
- manufacture steel 生产钢材
- need steel 需要钢材
- produce steel 生产钢铁
- roll steel 轧钢
- save steel 节省钢材
- temper steel 炼钢
- turn out steel 生产钢材
- use steel 使用钢材
- waste steel 浪费钢材
- a bar of steel 钢条
- a heart of steel 铁石心肠
- a heat of steel 一炉钢
- a sheet of steel 钢片
- a strip of steel 钢条(片)
- steel bravely 勇敢地使坚强
- steel cleverly 机敏地使坚强
- steel coolly 冷静地使坚强
- steel safely 有把握地使坚强
- steel unexpectedly 出乎意外地使坚强
About 80 per cent of steel in Britain is made by the open hearth process.出自：A. H. Cottrell
Olive had..a sense of real heroism in steeling herself against uneasiness.出自：H. James
He was dangerously near to converting me to righteousness but..I steeled my heart.出自：E. Waugh
Citizens will probably steel themselves for a further levy.出自：Scotsman
- steel是物质名词,不可数; 指“不同种类的钢”时,可用复数形式。steel引申可作“钢铁般的坚强,坚硬,决心”等。
- a steel work
- a steel works
- steel, embolden, encourage
这组词都有“刺激,鼓舞”的意思。其区别在于:1.encourage是指对意志薄弱的人或缺乏经验的人加以“鼓舞,鼓励”等,其宾语后面可接带to的动词不定式,也可接介词in＋名词短语。2.embolden指给人壮胆,强调给予足够的勇气去做想做的事。例如:She smiled and this emboldened him to speak to her.她微微一笑,这使他壮起胆来跟她说话。3.steel强调变得坚强、坚定或冷酷,能忍受疼痛、苦难或侮辱等。例如:He steeled himself to tell her about her father's death.他硬起了心肠把她父亲的死讯告诉了她。
误 People connect Anshan with steel and iron.
正 People connect Anshan with iron and steel.
析 汉语说“钢铁”,而英语则习惯说iron and steel。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的styled；最初源自西日耳曼语的stkahlijan，意为像钢铁一样坚硬。
- steely adj. 钢铁般的,似钢铁的
- steel:什么是steel steel又称为钢铁，钢材 steel分类 按外形可分为型材、板材、管材、金属制品四大类。为便于采购、订货和管理，我国目前将钢材分为十六大品种： 板材：中厚板 容器板 中板 碳结板…