- n. 气味；嗅觉；嗅
- v. 嗅；闻；散发气味；有臭味；察觉
- [U] 嗅觉 the power of using the nose to discover the presence of gases in the air
- [C] 气味; 臭味 a quality that has an effect on the nose; an unpleasant smell, odour
- [S] 嗅,闻 an act of smelling sth
- vi. 嗅; 闻 have or use the sense of the nose
- vt. 闻到; 嗅出 notice, examine, discover, or recognize by this sense
- vt. & vi. 发出气味; 发出臭味 give out a smell; give out a bad smell
the sensation that results when olfactory receptors in the nose are stimulated by particular chemicals in gaseous form;
"she loved the smell of roses"
any property detected by the olfactory system
the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people;
"the feel of the city excited him"
"a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"
"it had the smell of treason"
the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents
the act of perceiving the odor of something
inhale the odor of; perceive by the olfactory sense
emit an odor;
"The soup smells good"
"He rarely washes, and he smells"
have an element suggestive (of something);
"his speeches smacked of racism"
"this passage smells of plagiarism"
become aware of not through the senses but instinctively;
"I sense his hostility"
"i smell trouble"
"smell out corruption"
- The strong smell made me throw up.
- The cheese was emitting a strong smell.
- Dogs have a keen sense of smell.
- Hydrogen has no colour, no taste and no smell.
- Specially-trained dogs can smell out drugs.
- I could smell that the milk was not fresh.
- The flowers smell sweet.
- The fish has begun to smell.
- The reporter began to smell a good story.
- Dogs have a marvellous sense of smell.
- The dogs can find drugs by smell.
- Taste and smell are closely connected.
- People have five senses:sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch.
- Bananas have their own characteristic smell.
- A delicious mouthwatering smell drifted from the kitchen.
- Twilight was sweet with the smell of lilac and freshly turned earth.
- The faint sweet smell of flowers lay in the air.
- The evening air was sweet with the smell of honeysuckle.
- That smell of freshly baked bread carries me back!
- The smell of the paint will pass off in a few days.
- The fire was out, but even so, the smell of smoke was strong.
- The smell made him sick.
- A putrid smell drove us from the room.
- The liquid gives an unpleasant smell.
- I detect a strange smell.
- Have a smell of this wine, does it smell all right?
- Have a smell of this egg and tell me if it's bad.
- One smell of the rotten meat was enough.
- Can a bee smell?
- I have a cold,I cannot smell.
- The egg smells.
- The room smelt as if it had not been cleaned recently.
- The meat smells as if it is bad.
- It smells sweet.
- The chestnuts smell so nice.
- The egg smells bad.
- The milk smells sour.
- Just smell these sweet flowers!
- The bear stopped and smelled the ball, then ate it.
- Can you smell anything?
- I am sure I smell gas.
- He smelled the meat carefully to see if it is fresh.
- He smelled a strange smell.
- She was smelling the flowers.
- I can smell burning.
- I could smell that the milk wasn't fresh.
- My horse can always smell when rain is coming.
- Do you smell anything burning?
- Coming into the kitchen,I smelt something burning.
- I could smell trouble coming, so I left.
- smell at (v.+prep.)
闻,嗅 put the nose to sth so as to smell sb/sth in order to find sth out
smell at sb/sth
The dog smelt at the stranger for a minute but did not recognize him.
The dog smelled at his shoes.
- smell of (v.+prep.)
带有某种令人不快的迹象 strongly suggest sth rather unpleasantDon't listen to him. His ideas smell of dishonesty.不要听他的,他的主意听上去不诚实。
- smell out (v.+adv.)
发现 discover sth by noticing certain signsThe teacher smelt out the culprit by the ink on his fingers.教师根据手指上的墨水发现了罪犯。
- bear the smell 受得了这种气味
- give off a smell 散发一种气味
- give out a smell 散发一种气味
- have a smell 有一种气味
- stand the smell 受得了这种气味
- take a smell 闻一闻
- agreeable smell 好闻的气味
- bad smell 坏气味
- burnt smell 焦味
- disagreeable smell 难闻的气味
- musty smell 霉味
- nice smell 香味
- sick smell 令人作呕的气味
- slight smell 有点味
- strong smell 浓烈的气味
- sweet smell 香味,芳香
- smell a rabbit 闻到有兔子的味道
- smell gas 闻到煤气味
- smell the ball 嗅那个球状物
- smell the delicious odour 闻到了香喷喷的味道
- smell these sweet flowers 闻闻这些芬芳的花朵
- smell heavily 难闻
- smell offensively 难闻
- smell potently 气味很烈
- smell sweetly 闻起来很香
- smell about 到处嗅,到处打听消息
- smell out 嗅出,凭嗅觉发现,察觉
- smell out a secret 察觉秘密
- smell out a thief (狗)靠其嗅觉找到贼
- smell round 到处嗅,到处打听消息
- smell up 使充满臭味
- smell up the whole apartment 气味充满整套房间
Lorrydrivers brought in a smell of sweat and petrol.出自： I. Fleming
An in-house bakery wafts..irresistible fresh bread smells around.出自：Which?
I could smell spirits on his breath.出自： J. G. Cozzens
We can..smell the warm fragrance of Taiwanese spices flowing from the kitchen.出自：Japan Times
- smell用作不及物动词时可表示“有嗅觉”; 也可表示“散发出…的气味”,作此解时可接as if引导的方式状语从句。
- smell, sniff
误 The rose smells well.
正 The rose smells sweet.
误 I smelled the flower.
正 I smelled at the flower.
误 His breath smells with brandy.
正 His breath smells of brandy.
误 Are you smelling dinner?
正 Can you smell dinner?
析 smell通常不能用在进行时态中; 但可以与 can连用。我什么也没闻到。
误 I don't smell.
正 I don't smell anything.
析 smell 表示“闻到”时,是及物动词,其后需接宾语。它还可以表示“有难闻的气味”,此时便是不及物动词了。
- ☆ 12世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自中古荷兰语的smolen，意为闷烧。
- smeller n. 嗅的人；用嗅觉测定食品质量的人;发出臭气的东西;触须；触角‖smellless adj. 无气味的