- vi. & link-v. 好像; 仿佛 look like; appear to be
give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect;
"She seems to be sleeping"
"This appears to be a very difficult problem"
"This project looks fishy"
"They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
seem to be true, probable, or apparent;
"It seems that he is very gifted"
"It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
appear to exist;
"There seems no reason to go ahead with the project now"
appear to one's own mind or opinion;
"I seem to be misunderstood by everyone"
"I can't seem to learn these Chinese characters"
- He seems to know everything.
- The children seem unaffected emotionally by their parent's divorce.
- Well, funny things seem to be happening.
- I'm sorry, I seem to have mislaid my ticket.
- He certainly didn't seem to be a fool.
- She seems a sentimental woman.
- Mr. Owen seems a progressive writer.
- That seems not a bad idea.
- This seems a wonderful book.
- This seems a good place to picnic.
- Teaching seems a glorious way of living.
- The young girl seems much better this morning.
- The man seemed familiar, but I could not quite place him.
- Why does your mother seem so sad lately?
- Things far off seem small.
- This apple seemed good but rotten inside.
- What seems easy to the teacher often seems difficult to the pupils.
- He doesn't seem to be afraid of it.
- A thin person always seems to be taller than he really is.
- To me it seems quite necessary.
- She seemed very excited that day.
- He seemed not interested in doing anything those days.
- He seems quite contented and happy all the time.
- She didn't seem convinced by the argument.
- He seemed a bit under the weather.
- You don't seem in high spirits today.
- The driver seems out of humour these days.
- The beautiful girl's coming seems to scent the air in the hall.
- The dog seems to like that bone.
- I can't seem to stop coughing.
- She seems to have camped up the third act of the play.
- The teacher seemed to have caught a cold.
- She seems to have missed the train.
- I seem to have seen him somewhere before.
- It would not seem to do so.
- He can't seem to see.
- I couldn't seem to get to sleep.
- The old man seemed gradually blending into the chair.
- The main streets seemed shining in the sun.
- He seemed to be waiting for somebody.
- It seems that you are lying.
- It seemed that nobody knew anything about the matter.
- It seems that no one knew what had happened.
- It seems that we have missed our chance.
- I tried to get any kind of job but it seemed that the whole city had closed the door on me.
- It doesn't seem that they were lying.
- It seems (to me) that you are mistaken.
- It seems to me that Peter has seen nothing of life.
- It seems as if you are the first one here.
- It seemed as if the night would never end.
- It seems as though it was spring already.
- It seems as though you were her son.
- It seems good to have a drink now.
- It seemed a pity to refuse.
- There seems to be trouble soon.
- There seems to be a mistake.
- There doesn't seem to have been any difficulty over this question.
- There seems something wrong with the computer.
- seem like (v.+prep.)
仿佛…似的 look like sth
seem like sb/sth
She seems like a reasonable person.
It seemed like a good idea.
- seem a clever boy 看来是个聪明的小伙子
- seem a very wonderful book 看来好像是一本极好看的书
- seem an honest man 好像是个老实人
- seem not a bad idea 似乎是个不坏的想法
Young women are not the angels they seem to be.出自： F. Brooke
It seemed as if earth had..flowered into a paradise.出自： M. C. Harris
A tendency to use the wrong words made her seem..incompetent.出自： V. Woolf
The whole body, without seeming to move, had moved.出自： J. Steinbeck
'What seems to be the trouble?' asked the operator.出自： G. Markstein
Romantic heroes always seem to be wandering among ruins.出自： A. Brookner
- seem表示“感觉”时可接“to be+名词或形容词”、介词短语、动词不定式、现在分词、过去分词作表语。在接名词作表语时,如名词前有形容词修饰, to be可以省略,如没有形容词修饰, to be则不可省略,在形容词作主语补足语时to be不可省略,其余情况下to be常省略。
- seem还可接连词that或连词短语as if〔though〕引导的从句作表语, as if〔though〕的从句常用陈述语气, that从句可用于陈述语气,也可用虚拟语气。此时主语多为非人称代词it。
- 在含有seem的句子中,有时可插入to sb。为了强调,有时to sb 可移至句首。
- seem还可用于存在句中, seem的主语可为名词、代词或动词不定式(多为to be), seem的形式要与其后的主语一致。
- seem, appear, look
- 1.在含义上, appear 强调外表上给人的某种印象,有时含实质上并非如此的意思; look意味着看上去如此,实际亦是如此; seem 则暗示判断有一定根据,这种判断往往接近事实。例如:
- He appears to be very young.
- He looks to be very young.
- He seems to be very young.
- 2.在用法上,这三个词都可跟形容词或“to be+形容词或名词”结构,也可用于It appears〔appeared〕/looks〔looked〕/seems〔seemed〕 as if...结构。但是, appear 和seem跟to- v 时仍表示“看起来”,而look 接to- v 则是“盼望”的意思。例如:
- He appears〔seems〕 to know it.
- He looks to hear from you.
- 另外, appear 和seem可用于It appears〔appeared〕/seems〔seemed〕 that...结构,而look不能。例如:
- ［误］ It looks to me that he enjoys read- ing the novel.
- ［正］ It appears〔seems〕 to me that he enjoys reading the novel.
- 还有, appear 和seem一般不用于进行体; 而look可用现在进行时,这和一般现在时所表示的意思无多大区别。例如:
- You are looking〔look〕 very unhappy.你看起来很不高兴。
- He seemed to be ill.
- It seemed that he was ill.
- He doesn't seem to be at home.
- He seems not to be at home.
- It seems as if it might rain.
- It seems as if it is going to rain.
误 It seems as rain.
正 It seems like rain.
误 “It seems we'll miss the train.”“So it seems not.”
正 “It seems we'll miss the train.”“So it seems.”“看来她不会加入我们了。”“看来是如此。”
误 “It seems she will not join us.”“It seems.”
正 “It seems she will not join us.”“It seems not.”
析 在对话中,使用替代词,可用“So it seems”或“It seems not”,不可用“So it seems not”“It seems”形式。好像要起风了。
误 It was seeming to get windy.
正 It seemed to be getting windy.
误 There seems to have something the matter with her.
正 There seems to be something the matter with her.
析 动词seem可以用于there seems句型,表示“似乎有…”, seem后接to be,不能用实义动词have。正在讲话的那个人好像是这家公司的经理。
误 The man who was speaking seemed the manager of this company.
正 The man who was speaking seemed to be the manager of this company.
析 seem后用作表语的名词如无形容词修饰,名词前须加to be。
- ☆ 1200年进入英语，直接源自古北欧语的soema，意为适应。