division of a group into opposing factions;
"another schism like that and they will wind up in bankruptcy"
the formal separation of a church into two churches or the withdrawal of one group over doctrinal differences
- A schism appeared in this political party.
- The Chinese-American schism poses a dilemma for the next president.
- I shouldn't exaggerate the schism.
- If another schism like that happen again, they will wind up in bankruptcy.
- In this way, a deep American schism was born.
- We are much too apt to look at schism in our church as an unmitigated evil.
The schism between the Greek and Latin churches..in the ninth century.出自： C. Burney
The community of Old Believers, who upheld the schism in the Orthodox Church.出自：Times Literary Supplement