- 拒绝，谢绝，推辞， 推却，回绝，拒受，不受，拒给，拒作
- vt. & vi. 拒绝 state one's strong unwillingness to accept; say no (to); not give or allow
- [U]废料,废物,垃圾 waste or worthless material; rubbish
food that is discarded (as from a kitchen)
show unwillingness towards;
"he declined to join the group on a hike"
refuse to accept;
"He refused my offer of hospitality"
elude, especially in a baffling way;
"This behavior defies explanation"
refuse to let have;
"She denies me every pleasure"
"he denies her her weekly allowance"
resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ;
"His body rejected the liver of the donor"
refuse entrance or membership;
"They turned away hundreds of fans"
"Black people were often rejected by country clubs"
- I refuse to answer that question.
- We were refused permission to enter.
- There is a refuse dump out of the town.
- The council is responsible for refuse collection.
- He asked her to marry him but she refused.
- We asked him to come, but he refused.
- He cannot refuse if you ask politely.
- I think he won't refuse me.
- He made her an offer in this room, and she refused him.
- She refused his gift.
- I cannot very well refuse their offers.
- He proudly refused help from anyone.
- He seemed disappointed when the man refused his request.
- He resolutely refused their bribe.
- She refused their invitation.
- Because of a prior engagement we had to refuse the invitation.
- When very ill, she refused medicine.
- The patient refused anything, even a little soup.
- You'll not refuse beer, won't you?
- The request was curtly refused.
- Our application for visas was refused.
- She refused to tell us the truth.
- He never refuses to help others.
- They refused to bow to force.
- They refused to consider the proposal.
- He has refused to let me use his toothbrush.
- Thousands of people refuse to pay their taxes.
- My legs refused to carry me further.
- She refused to see him.
- Why do you always refuse to tell me where you live?
- He was wounded but refused to leave the line.
- He refused to comply with their wishes.
- He's refusing to go after all his promises?
- They refused to be enslaved and rose in struggle.
- He stubbornly refused to be taught by these mistakes.
- The horse refused to jump over the fence.
- The car absolutely refused to start.
- He doesn't refuse her anything.
- He refused me permission.
- He refused me shelter.
- The firm refused them a prolongation of the terms of payment.
- She refused him even a kiss.
- They were refused admittance.
- The cheque has been refused payment.
- Jack refused money to her.
- They refused help to him.
- The cinema owners have the right to refuse admission to anyone under eighteen years of age.
- Refuse is collected twice a week.
- The refuse was unloaded at the market dump.
- The street-cleaning department takes away all refuse from the streets.
- The truck carried off the refuse.
- Put all the refuse in the dustbin.
- refuse a command 拒绝执行命令
- refuse a job 拒绝接受工作
- refuse a present 拒绝礼品
- refuse an office 推辞某职务
- refuse bribe 拒绝贿赂
- refuse consent 不答应
- refuse favour 拒绝好意
- refuse gift 拒收礼物
- refuse help 拒绝帮助
- refuse invitation 拒绝邀请
- refuse medicine 拒绝吃药
- refuse obedience 拒绝服从
- refuse promotion 不接受提拔
- refuse request 拒绝要求
- refuse satisfaction 拒绝赔偿
- refuse suitors 拒绝求婚者
- refuse arbitrarily 顽固地拒绝
- refuse austerely 严肃地拒绝
- refuse bluntly 干脆地拒绝
- refuse categorically 断然拒绝
- refuse completely 完全拒绝
- refuse courteously 客气地拒绝
- refuse curtly 毫不客气地拒绝
- refuse delicately 小心地拒绝
- refuse doggedly 顽强地拒绝
- refuse emphatically 强硬地拒绝
- refuse firmly 坚决不答应
- refuse flatly 断然拒绝
- refuse gracefully 有礼貌地拒绝
- refuse habitually 习惯性地拒绝
- refuse haughtily 傲慢地拒绝
- refuse honorably 正大光明地拒绝
- refuse indignantly 愤怒地拒绝
- refuse inexorably 无情地拒绝
- refuse modestly 婉言拒绝
- refuse obstinately 顽固地拒绝
- refuse peremptorily 专横地拒绝
- refuse persistently 固执地拒绝
- refuse politely 婉言拒绝
- refuse positively 斩钉截铁地拒绝
- refuse prudently 谨慎地拒绝
- refuse scornfully 轻蔑地拒绝
- refuse scrupulously 小心翼翼地拒绝
- refuse spitefully 恶意地拒绝
- refuse steadfastly 坚定地拒绝
- refuse stubbornly 顽固地拒绝
- refuse stupidly 愚蠢地拒绝
Slipping over the stones and refuse on the shore.出自： Dickens
No cheque is bad until it's refused by the bank.出自： E. Waugh
The windows all refused to open.出自： R. H. Morrieson
He flatly refused to say why he was there.出自： Joan Smith
I refused all promotions beyond captain.出自： K. Vonnegut
- refuse的基本意思是“拒绝”,指由于不情愿或不愿意而对某项要求或事物给予否定的回答或不接受某物或不肯做某事。在口语中, refuse还可接表示饮食的名词作宾语,意为“吃不来…,喝不来…”。
He refused to go with us.
He refused me to use his bicycle.
He refused to let me use his bicycle.
- 表示不接受对方的邀请，请求或是提议时，一般不用refuse或是reject，而常用cannot accept，cannot comply with，decline等。
- refuse, decline, reject
- 1.从语气上来说, refuse是最普通的用词,一般指直接地拒绝,语气不那么委婉。decline语气较委婉,相当于汉语的“谢绝”。例如:
- He declined my invitation because of a previous appointment.因另有约会在先,他谢绝了我的邀请。
- He rejected my friendly advice upon further consideration.他经过进一步的考虑,明确地拒绝了我友好的建议。
- 2.从搭配上来说,这三个词都可接名词(如an offer)作宾语,但invitation只能与refer, decline搭配; suggestion只能与reject, decline搭配; permission只能与refuse搭配; plan只能与reject搭配。另外refuse和decline都可接动词不定式作宾语,而reject则不可以。例如:
- He refused〔declined〕 to join us in the game.他拒绝与我们一起游戏。
- refuse, rubbish, waste
- waste 作“废物”解时,是最普通用词,指失去原使用价值的、陈旧、破损了的物品; refuse通常指积聚成一堆的废旧物品或垃圾; rubbish 通常泛指垃圾,包括一切废物,这些废物已毫无用处,毫无价值。例如:
- There are many heaps of refuse along the street. 沿街有许多垃圾。
- The rubbish here must be cleared away as soon as possible.这儿的垃圾必须尽快清除。
误 He refused that he had ever taken bribes.
正 He refused to admit that he had ever taken bribes.
误 She refused accepting the criticism.
正 She refused to accept the criticism.
误 We refused his help.
正 We declined his help.
误 He refused me to use his computer.
正 He refused to let me use his computer.
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的refuser；最初源自古典拉丁语的refundere，意为倒回，给回。