- [C]总统,主席 elected head of state in the US and many modern republics
- [C](大学)校长,会长,董事长 head of some colleges, government bodies or departments, societies; head of a bank, business firm, etc.
- an executive officer of a firm or corporation
- the person who holds the office of head of state of the United States government;
"the President likes to jog every morning"
- the chief executive of a republic
- the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization;
"address your remarks to the chairperson"
- the head administrative officer of a college or university
- the office of the United States head of state;
"a President is elected every four years"
- The president gave the Prince and his attendants a farewell banquet.
- She was exalted to the position of president.
- When the president of the company retired, the vice-president was elevated to his position.
- I'll have you know that I was president of the ski club in my college days.
The president fastened on the idea at once.
The president desired that you (should) visit him next week.
The president decorated five soldiers for extraordinary bravery in battle.
The president toured quite a number of African states with a view to mending his fences with them.
The president confirmed him as secretary of state.
The president has not appointed a single black judge to the south.
The president stood up to acknowledge the cheers of the crowd.
Congress affirmed the treaty the president had signed.
When do you think the president will confirm you in office?
His suggestion was never even forwarded to the president.
The people esteemed the president for his unselfishness.
They were plotting how they would assassinate the president.
The ambassador presents his credentials to the president.
The powers of a president are defined in the constitution.
How many Presidents were there before Lincoln?
Twelve guards on motorcycles preceded the president's car.
The president's veto of the bill dashed the hopes of many mayors.
The president's statement cleared the air of rumours and guessing.
They named Smith for president.
The president is believed to be seriously ill.
They approached the president with the suggestion.
The president had announced to us the establishment of a new research society.
We nominated him as the president of our college.
They appointed me president of the association.
I nominate Bill as the club president.
His election to the board of directors paved the way to the replacement of the old president.
When the president of the company retired, the vice president was elevated to his position.
- elect president 选举总统
- inaugurate president 为总统举行就职典礼
- oppose president 反对主席
- run for president 竞选总统
- serve president 为总统效力
- support president 支持总统
- former president 前总统
- honorable president 荣誉校长
- incoming president 即将上任的总统
- late president 已故总统
- life-long president 终身总统
- newly-elected president 新当选的总统
- outgoing president 即将离任的总统
- possible president 可能的总统
- respected president 受尊敬的总统
- vice president 副总统
- company president 公司总裁
- department president 部门主任
- intelligence president 情报主任
- laboratory president 实验室主任
- party president 政党首领
- police president 警长
- secret president 特工首脑
- union president 工会主席
He became President of the Geological Society in 1872.出自：L. Huxley
- president作“总统”解时,如果指总统职务,其前不用冠词; 如果指总统本人,需用冠词。
- president, director, headmaster, principal, schoolmaster
这组名词的共同意思是“校长”,但用于不同的学校要用不同的词:principal通常指中学校长,也可指小学校长或大学院长; headmaster指普通小学或中学的男性校长,在美国尤指私立学校的校长; director不仅指学校的校长,还可指各组织机构、团体等的负责人,如处长、局长、主任、厂长等; schoolmaster指小学、中学等一般学校的教师或校长; president指大学校长。例如:The school principal announced the honor roll list.校长宣布了优等生名单。Our headmaster is an old man.我们的校长是一位老人。He is the director of the research center.他是研究中心的主任。John is the schoolmaster of that secondary school.约翰是那所中学的校长。He was the president of Harvard University.他是哈佛大学的校长。
- president, chief, chieftain, head
这组词的共同意思是“头头”或“领导人”。1.president指“总统,主席”或“(大学)的校长”。2.chief通常指一个团体中身居最高职位的人或国家,也可指政府中某个部门的主管,多用于美式英语中,且具有较为庄重的色彩。例如:The mayor displaced the police chief.市长把警察局局长撤换了。The Queen is the chief of the armed forces by right.女王理应是武装部队的统帅。He was the chief of the clan.他是那个部族的族长。3.head一般用于比chief地位稍低的人,有时可与chief互换使用,多用于英式英语中。例如:Zhang Hua was chosen the head of the factory.张华被选为厂长。The original founder is still the head of the organization.最早的创始人仍是该组织的领导人。4.chieftain则专指一个部落的酋长、族长,或强盗、土匪等的头头。例如:He used to be a Highland chieftain.他过去是一个苏格兰高地的族长。John was the chieftain of a band of robbers.约翰是一伙强盗的头目。
误 As a president, he appointed men to his cabinet whom he considered most capable for the job.
正 As president, he appointed men to his cabinet whom he considered most capable for the job.
误 We appointed him to be the president of the club.
正 We appointed him to be president of the club.
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的prsidentum，意为坐在头前者，总督；最初源自该语的prsidere，意为头领。
- presidency n. 总统的职位;总统的任期
- president:president n. 总统, 会长, 校长, 行长 英英解释:名词president:1. an executive officer of a firm or corporation2. the…