- n. (国家)总统；(公司)总裁；校长；总经理；社长
- [C]总统,主席 elected head of state in the US and many modern republics
- [C](大学)校长,会长,董事长 head of some colleges, government bodies or departments, societies; head of a bank, business firm, etc.
an executive officer of a firm or corporation
the person who holds the office of head of state of the United States government;
"the President likes to jog every morning"
the chief executive of a republic
the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization;
"address your remarks to the chairperson"
the head administrative officer of a college or university
the office of the United States head of state;
"a President is elected every four years"
- The president gave the Prince and his attendants a farewell banquet.
- She was exalted to the position of president.
- The president has just come to see me.
- When the president of the company retired, the vice-president was elevated to his position.
- I'll have you know that I was president of the ski club in my college days.
- The president fastened on the idea at once.
- The president desired that you (should) visit him next week.
- The president decorated five soldiers for extraordinary bravery in battle.
- The president toured quite a number of African states with a view to mending his fences with them.
- The president confirmed him as secretary of state.
- The president has not appointed a single black judge to the south.
- The president stood up to acknowledge the cheers of the crowd.
- Congress affirmed the treaty the president had signed.
- When do you think the president will confirm you in office?
- His suggestion was never even forwarded to the president.
- The people esteemed the president for his unselfishness.
- They were plotting how they would assassinate the president.
- The ambassador presents his credentials to the president.
- The powers of a president are defined in the constitution.
- How many Presidents were there before Lincoln?
- Twelve guards on motorcycles preceded the president's car.
- The president's veto of the bill dashed the hopes of many mayors.
- The president's statement cleared the air of rumours and guessing.
- They named Smith for president.
- The president is believed to be seriously ill.
- They approached the president with the suggestion.
- The president had announced to us the establishment of a new research society.
- We nominated him as the president of our college.
- They appointed me president of the association.
- I nominate Bill as the club president.
- His election to the board of directors paved the way to the replacement of the old president.
- When the president of the company retired, the vice president was elevated to his position.
- elect president 选举总统
- inaugurate president 为总统举行就职典礼
- oppose president 反对主席
- run for president 竞选总统
- serve president 为总统效力
- support president 支持总统
- former president 前总统
- honorable president 荣誉校长
- incoming president 即将上任的总统
- late president 已故总统
- life-long president 终身总统
- newly-elected president 新当选的总统
- outgoing president 即将离任的总统
- possible president 可能的总统
- respected president 受尊敬的总统
- vice president 副总统
- company president 公司总裁
- department president 部门主任
- intelligence president 情报主任
- laboratory president 实验室主任
- party president 政党首领
- police president 警长
- secret president 特工首脑
- union president 工会主席
He became President of the Geological Society in 1872.出自： L. Huxley
- president作“总统”解时,如果指总统职务,其前不用冠词; 如果指总统本人,需用冠词。
- president, director, headmaster, principal, schoolmaster
- 这组名词的共同意思是“校长”,但用于不同的学校要用不同的词:principal通常指中学校长,也可指小学校长或大学院长; headmaster指普通小学或中学的男性校长,在美国尤指私立学校的校长; director不仅指学校的校长,还可指各组织机构、团体等的负责人,如处长、局长、主任、厂长等; schoolmaster指小学、中学等一般学校的教师或校长; president指大学校长。例如:
- The school principal announced the honor roll list.校长宣布了优等生名单。
- Our headmaster is an old man.我们的校长是一位老人。
- He is the director of the research center.他是研究中心的主任。
- John is the schoolmaster of that secondary school.约翰是那所中学的校长。
- He was the president of Harvard University.他是哈佛大学的校长。
- president, chief, chieftain, head
- The mayor displaced the police chief.市长把警察局局长撤换了。
- The Queen is the chief of the armed forces by right.女王理应是武装部队的统帅。
- He was the chief of the clan.他是那个部族的族长。
- Zhang Hua was chosen the head of the factory.张华被选为厂长。
- The original founder is still the head of the organization.最早的创始人仍是该组织的领导人。
- He used to be a Highland chieftain.他过去是一个苏格兰高地的族长。
- John was the chieftain of a band of robbers.约翰是一伙强盗的头目。
误 As a president, he appointed men to his cabinet whom he considered most capable for the job.
正 As president, he appointed men to his cabinet whom he considered most capable for the job.我们任命他为俱乐部主席。
误 We appointed him to be the president of the club.
正 We appointed him to be president of the club.
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的prsidentum，意为坐在前头者，总督；最初源自该语的prsidere，意为头领。
- presidency n. 总统的职位;总统的任期