yield a profit or result;
"His efforts finally paid off"
eliminate by paying off (debts)
pay off (loans or promissory notes)
do or give something to somebody in return;
"Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
pay someone with influence in order to receive a favor
take vengeance on or get even;
"We'll get them!"
"That'll fix him good!"
"This time I got him"
- He has a huge overdraft to pay off.
- It took them three years to pay off the debt.
- Most of the profits are swallowed up by the mortgage. Once we've got that paid off I'll feel we've turned the corner.
- We paid off the police to let us go with a warning.
- Our plan certainly paid off; it was a great idea.
- His hard working will eventually pay off.