- 归给...，归功于...，归因于， 起因于
- vt. 应当给予 have to pay; be in debt for; have to give
- vt. 感激 be under an obligation to
- vt. 应把…归功于 be indebted to as the source of
be obliged to pay or repay
be indebted to, in an abstract or intellectual sense;
"This new theory owes much to Einstein's Relativity Theory"
be in debt;
"She owes me $200"
"I still owe for the car"
"The thesis owes much to his adviser"
- I gotta get back there, I owe it to them.
- Incidentally, I think you still owe me some money.
- I owe you one.
- You owe yourself a holiday.
- I owe a lot to my wife and children.
- He owes his success more to luck than to ability.
- He paid me the ten dollars he owed me.
- You still owe so much.
- Thank you for the magazine you bought for me.How much do I owe you?
- You owe yourself a holiday.
- You owe me an apology.
- I owe you my best thanks.
- She said to the Chinese doctor that she owed him everything.
- We owe our parents a lot.
- I owe you no grudge.
- I always owe that fellow ill will.
- Neither he nor Melanie owed me any explanation.
- owe for (v.+prep.)
欠买(某物的)钱 have a duty to repay money to sb for the cost of sth
owe for sth
Do I still owe for the concert tickets?
I still owe for my last batch of books.
I owe for my board and lodging.
I have paid for the bread and cheese, but the butter I still owe for.
He still owes for the goods he had last month.
他仍然欠上个月买东西的账。owe sb/sth for sth
Henry still owes the butcher for the meat.
Don't let me forget that I owe you for the concert tickets.
I owe 30 dollars for the concert tickets.
We still owe one hundred dollars for the car.
- owe on (v.+prep.)
在…上欠债 have a duty to repay money on sth
owe sth on sb/sth
I still owe nearly a hundred pounds on that car.
- owe to (v.+prep.)
应该感谢; 把…归功于 feel grateful to; attribute the success to
owe sth to sb/sth
He owes a lot of money to Mr. Smith.
He owes 50 yuan to his friend.
The plant still owes $50,000 to the bank.
Twenty yuan is owed to him.
欠他20元钱。owe sth to sb/sth
He gave me a lot of help.I owed much to him.
We owe to Newton the principle of gravitation.
The girl owed her life to the life guard who saved her from the sea.
He owes his success to hard work and patience.
He owes his success to good luck more than ability.
She owes her beauty to artificial assistance.
He owes it to his doctor's care that he is quite well again.
He owes his good health to plenty of exercise and a regular life.
他把他身体健康归功于充分锻炼和生活有规律。owe it to oneself/sb to-v/that-clause
We owe it to society to make our country a better place.
I owe it to you that I finished my work in time.
I owe it to you that I survived the catastrophe.
We owe it to Marconi and Bell that we can now talk to the people on the other side of the world.
It was altogether owing it to himself that James won the prize.
Fine storehouses..but of no great profit to him that oweth them.出自： S. Pepys
- owe表示“欠(债)”与介词for连用时,后面只接物; 与介词to连用时,后面可接人,也可接物或事物。
- owe...to, be due to
- 1.owe是动词; due是形容词。例如:
- She owes ten dollars to her sister.她欠她姐姐10美元。
- Any money that is due to you will be paid before the end of this month.欠你的钱将在这月底之前全部支付给你。
- 2.owe...to常译为“欠某人的债”,用于比喻可表示对“某人负有义务或名誉,功劳应归于…”; 而due一般译为“应付给”,用以表示原因。例如:
- Our grateful thanks are due to the police department for their help in the making of this film.我们由衷感谢警方在制作这部影片的过程中给予我们的帮助。
- owe...to, attribute...to
- 1.owe...to只用于主动句,且多含褒义; 而attribute...to可用于主动句,也可用于被动句,且多用于贬义。例如:
- To whom do we owe the discovery of penicillin?盘尼西林的发现该归功于谁?
- He attributes his success to hard work.他把自己的成功归因于努力工作。
- Economists attributed the lack of progress to poor cooperation.经济学家把缺乏进步归咎于合作不好。
- 2.owe...to的主语可以是物,也可以是人; attribute...to的主语只能是人。例如:
- The bank and its customer owe a large number of obligations to one another.银行和主顾彼此都应负很多义务。
- She attributes her success to hard work and a bit of luck.她认为她的成功是由于勤奋加上一点运气而得来的。
- I owe the grocer.
- I owe the grocer money.
- I owe money to the grocer.
误 Owe to his hard study, he passed the exam.
正 Owing to his hard study, he passed the exam.
析 owing to构成一个介词短语,在句中作状语,表示“原因”,和because of同义。他欠裁缝50镑。
误 He owes ￡50 for his tailor.
正 He owes ￡50 to his tailor.
正 He owes his tailor ￡50.
析 owe可以用作双宾语动词,也可以用owe sth to sb 结构,表示“欠某人…”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的agan，意为拥有。