- [S][U]北,北方,北部 the direction which is up from the centre line of the Earth; the direction which is on the left of a person facing the rising sun
- [A]北方的,北部的 in the north of facing the north
- [A](风)来自北方的 (of a wind)coming from the north
- 向北方 towards the north
- the region of the United States lying to the north of the Mason-Dixon line
- the United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War);
"he has visited every state in the Union"
"Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"
"the North's superior resources turned the scale"
- the cardinal compass point that is at 0 or 360 degrees
- a location in the northern part of a country, region, or city
- the direction corresponding to the northward cardinal compass point
- the direction in which a compass needle points
- British statesman under George III whose policies led to rebellion in the American colonies (1732-1792)
- situated in or facing or moving toward or coming from the north;
"artists like north light"
"the north portico"
- in a northern direction;
"they earn more up north"
"Let's go north!"
- North America has the world's best climate for wild grapes.
- The river turns north at this point.
- The river near the woods tends north.
- It is unnatural for birds to fly north in the winter.
- Our course was straight to the north.
- The wasteland of the north is scarcely populated.
- The wind has veered round to the north recently.
- South is opposite north on a compass.
The centre of the U.S. economy shifted from the agrarian areas to the industrial centres in the north.
A child born in the far north is soon conditioned to the long cold dark winters.
The needle of a compass points to the north.
The US is bounded on the north by Canada and on the south by Mexico.
He runs toward north.
The wind suddenly changed round from west to north, bringing with the threat of snow.
The North defeated the South in 1865.
Mexico is in the South of North America.
Such fish are rarely met with in the north country.
The Great Wall has great gateways which connect the main roads of north China.
Has the North Pole been fully explored yet?
The sea has eaten into the north shore.
With the coming of the night, the north wind was again released.
They fenced the seedbeds from the north wind.
The car steered north.
You are heading north.
The train is going north.
- up north
去北部 to or in the north of the country
They've moved up north. 他们已迁到北方去了。
Don't halt here.Move up north! 不要停留在这里,往北走!
By the time he got there, his friends had already moved up north. 当他到达那儿时,他的朋友已经去北部了。
- 去北部 to or in the north of the country
- at the north of 在…的北部
- wind from the north 北风
- on the north of 在…的北面
- to the north of 在…北方(之外)up north 向北方,在北方
- north by east 北偏东
- north by west 北偏西
- north of 在…之北
- north of China 在中国的北方
- north of Shanghai 上海的北部
- north of the United States 美国的北部
- north pole 北极
- N- Africa 北非
- N- America 北美
- N- Star 北极星
- north window 朝北开的窗口
- the north China 华北
- the north End 北区
- the north Side 北区
Lying but eighteen miles north from Oxford.出自：J. Sprigge
If you will take my advice, come up north.出自：F. A. Steel
I had to go north by an earlier train from Euston.出自：J. Buchan
Usually the canal flows north, but today it was completely still.出自：I. McEwan
- the North在美语中指华盛顿特区以北的东部地区。
- in the north, on the north, to the north
这三个短语都译为“在…的北部”,其区别在于：in the north表示“在某区域的北部”; on the north表示“在接壤区的北面”; to the north表示“在不接壤区的北面”。例如:
- Heilongjiang Province is in the north of China.
- Heilongjiang Province is on the north of Jilin Province.
- Heilongjiang Province is to the north of Henan Province.
误 He travelled to north for business.
正 He travelled to the north for business.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的nroth，意为向北的。
- north:north n. 北, 北方, 北部adj. 北, 北方的adv. 在北方, 向北方习惯用语(be) too far north [俚]过于精明, 过于狡猾in the north of 在...的北…