- 较少的,更少的 a smaller amount
- 较少,更少,少 smaller extent;not so much
- (comparative of `little' usually used with mass nouns) a quantifier meaning not as great in amount or degree;
"of less importance"
"less time to spend with the family"
"a shower uses less water"
"less than three years old"
- (usually preceded by `no') lower in quality;
"no less than perfect"
- (nonstandard in some uses but often idiomatic with measure phrases) fewer;
"less than three weeks"
"no less than 50 people attended"
"in 25 words or less"
- used to form the comparative of some adjectives and adverbs;
- comparative of little;
"she walks less than she should"
"he works less these days"
- He spends less time on work than on play.
- It is better to complete the task with less money.
- The flaw in this vase makes it less valuable.
- Work more and dream less, you will be much happier.
- Malaria is less common in Britain.
- She found the job less and less attractive.
- There is less to do in this job than the last.
- It seems less of a threat than I'd expected.
The firm has less money and fewer staff than last year.
He has less money than ever.
I received less money than the others did.
The doctor advises me to eat less meat.
Statistics show that people now drink less beer than they used to, and smoke fewer cigarettes.
I love the country, but I have less opportunity of seeing it.
He was reading hard and had less spare time
Less people go to church than before.
Less noise, please!
It cost less money than I expected.
The movie had less success than expected.
We got there in less than four hours.
Less people study Latin today than formerly.
Nothing in this shop is less than ￡10.
Let's speak less and listen more.
I read much less now than I did at school.
With their children growing up, these mothers have become less involved with their families.
He was less known than his brother.
I hope the next train will be less crowded than this one.
I was less surprised as I had had this sort of experience.
Try and speak less indistinctly.
Tomatoes are everywhere in summer but less so in winter.
- no less than
不少于,多达 as much as
There were no less than fifty wounded. 受伤者多达50人。
There were no less than ten thousand visitors at the exhibition that day. 那天去看展览的观众不少于10,000人。
She's no less active than she used to be. 她和以往一样活跃。
He shouted no less loudly than others. 他与别人喊得一样响亮。
- 不少于,多达 as much as
- less and less
越来越小〔少〕地 at a continually decreasing rate
She found the job less and less attractive. 她发现那项工作越来越缺乏吸引力了。
He played the piano less and less as he grew older. 随着年龄的增长,他弹钢琴的次数越来越少了。
- 越来越小〔少〕地 at a continually decreasing rate
- much〔still〕 less
更不用说 certainly not
We don't suspect him of telling lies much even less of telling lies like that. 我们本来就不怀疑他说谎,而像那样的谎言就更不怀疑是他说的了。
He's too shy to ask a stranger the time, still less speak to a roomful of people. 他连向陌生人打听时间都不好意思,更不用说向一屋子人讲话了。
- 更不用说 certainly not
- less butter 较少的黄油
- less coffee 较少的咖啡
- less food 更少的食物
- less meat 更少的肉
- less money 更少的钱
- less noise 少一点噪音
- less time 较少的时间
- less work 更少的活儿
19 is less than 20.出自：Joseph Harris
And then the sighs he would suppress..grew lses and lses.出自：Byron
Their number was less than ten.出自：A. N. Wilson
- less多用来修饰不可数名词,但当名词前有数词或a few等修饰时,其后可接可数名词;在把时间、距离、金钱等短语看作是一个整体时, less可用来修饰可数名词;在有些短语中,说话人着眼于有关事物的大约的量,而不去细算精确的数额时, less可用来修饰可数名词;用在感叹句中, less后可接可数名词。
- 由no less than连接的两个成分,其强势总是落在前面一个。
- much〔still〕 less短语多半用于否定结构,用于肯定结构时,则须改用much〔still〕 more。
- less, lesser
这两个词都是little的比较级。其区别是：1.less通常表示体积大小或者分量轻重;而lesser是正式用语,与价值或者重要性有关。例如:As far as I know, he was a lesser writer.据我所知,他是个次要作家。2.lesser不可与than连用,且lesser在句中一般只能用作定语。3.less可用作副词,而lesser则很少这样用。
- not less than, not less...than
这两个短语在写法上很相似,但表达的意思却不同。not less than是“不少于”,多半用来作数量的比较。例如:There were not less than 50 members present at the meeting.出席会议的至少有50人。not less...than表示“不比…差”,多半用作程度的比较。例如:This tool-machine is not less useful than that one.这台机床使用起来不比那台差。
- There were no less than ten thousand people here.
- There were not less than ten thousand people here.
- It is not possible to finish the work in a week, still less in three days.
- It is impossible to finish the work in a week, still more in three days.
- 这项工程用一星期完成是不可能的, 更别说三天了。
- less lesser
这两个词都是little的比较级，都可指“较少”或“较小”。less偏重于“not so much”的意思，lesser偏重于“not so great或smaller、minor、lower”的意思。它们都可用于数量、重量、程度、重要性、价值等方面，但在用法及跟其他词语搭配上有很大不同，二者不能互换。
- I received less pay than he.
- I want less sugar for my coffee.
- These days，I eat less rice than I used to.
- lesser:lesser不用than，而用of，并只限于二者的比较；涉及程度、价值、重要性等方面时，一般用lesser（指 smaller，not so great，minor，lower）。
- I prefer a lesser amount of meat.
- Rice and wheat are two staple foods in China．In the north，rice is the lesser of the two.
误 She spent fewer time reading the text than I did.
正 She spent less time reading the text than I did.
误 He was less than thirty, but he was ruined.
正 He was under thirty, but he was ruined.
析 表示“不到多少岁”,英语习惯用under,而不用less than。
误 Of the two suits,I took the least expensive one.
正 Of the two suits,I took the less expensive one.
误 It is less colder than it was yesterday.
正 It is less cold than it was yesterday.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的alssa，意为少的。
- take away拿走
- to a lesser extent在较小程度上...
- less:less n. 较少, 较小adj. 少的, 小的adv. 较少地, 更小地, 不及prep. 减去习惯用语any the less 更少一点, 更小一点far less 远不及much [still…