- 较少的,更少的 a smaller amount
- 较少,更少,少 smaller extent;not so much
(comparative of `little' usually used with mass nouns) a quantifier meaning not as great in amount or degree;
"of less importance"
"less time to spend with the family"
"a shower uses less water"
"less than three years old"
(usually preceded by `no') lower in quality;
"no less than perfect"
(nonstandard in some uses but often idiomatic with measure phrases) fewer;
"less than three weeks"
"no less than 50 people attended"
"in 25 words or less"
used to form the comparative of some adjectives and adverbs;
comparative of little;
"she walks less than she should"
"he works less these days"
- It would be good to have less pollution.
- He spends less time on work than on play.
- It is better to complete the task with less money.
- The flaw in this vase makes it less valuable.
- Work more and dream less, you will be much happier.
- Malaria is less common in Britain.
- She found the job less and less attractive.
- There is less to do in this job than the last.
- It seems less of a threat than I'd expected.
- The firm has less money and fewer staff than last year.
- He has less money than ever.
- I received less money than the others did.
- The doctor advises me to eat less meat.
- Statistics show that people now drink less beer than they used to, and smoke fewer cigarettes.
- I love the country, but I have less opportunity of seeing it.
- He was reading hard and had less spare time
- Less people go to church than before.
- Less noise, please!
- It cost less money than I expected.
- The movie had less success than expected.
- We got there in less than four hours.
- Less people study Latin today than formerly.
- Nothing in this shop is less than ￡10.
- Let's speak less and listen more.
- I read much less now than I did at school.
- With their children growing up, these mothers have become less involved with their families.
- He was less known than his brother.
- I hope the next train will be less crowded than this one.
- I was less surprised as I had had this sort of experience.
- Try and speak less indistinctly.
- Tomatoes are everywhere in summer but less so in winter.
- no less than
不少于,多达 as much as
- less and less
越来越小〔少〕地 at a continually decreasing rate
- much〔still〕 less
更不用说 certainly not
- less butter 较少的黄油
- less coffee 较少的咖啡
- less food 更少的食物
- less meat 更少的肉
- less money 更少的钱
- less noise 少一点噪音
- less time 较少的时间
- less work 更少的活儿
19 is less than 20.出自： Joseph Harris
And then the sighs he would suppress..grew less and less.出自： Byron
Their number was less than ten.出自： A. N. Wilson
- less多用来修饰不可数名词,但当名词前有数词或a few等修饰时,其后可接可数名词;在把时间、距离、金钱等短语看作是一个整体时, less可用来修饰可数名词;在有些短语中,说话人着眼于有关事物的大约的量,而不去细算精确的数额时, less可用来修饰可数名词;用在感叹句中, less后可接可数名词。
- 由no less than连接的两个成分,其强势总是落在前面一个。
- much〔still〕 less短语多半用于否定结构,用于肯定结构时,则须改用much〔still〕 more。
- less, lesser
- As far as I know, he was a lesser writer.据我所知,他是个次要作家。
- not less than, not less...than
- 这两个短语在写法上很相似,但表达的意思却不同。not less than是“不少于”,多半用来作数量的比较。例如:
- There were not less than 50 members present at the meeting.出席会议的至少有50人。
- not less...than表示“不比…差”,多半用作程度的比较。例如:
- This tool-machine is not less useful than that one.这台机床使用起来不比那台差。
- There were no less than ten thousand people here.
- There were not less than ten thousand people here.
- It is not possible to finish the work in a week, still less in three days.
- It is impossible to finish the work in a week, still more in three days.
- 这项工程用一星期完成是不可能的, 更别说三天了。
误 She spent fewer time reading the text than I did.
正 She spent less time reading the text than I did.
误 He was less than thirty, but he was ruined.
正 He was under thirty, but he was ruined.
析 表示“不到多少岁”,英语习惯用under,而不用less than。
误 Of the two suits,I took the least expensive one.
正 Of the two suits,I took the less expensive one.
误 It is less colder than it was yesterday.
正 It is less cold than it was yesterday.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的lassa，意为少的。
- reduced 减少的
- fewer 少的
- minus 负的
- smaller 较小的
- minor 轻微的
- below 低于
- secondary 次要的
- without 没有
- more 更多的
- take away 拿走
- excluding 除…之外
- lower 低的
- to a lesser extent 在较小程度上...
- lesser 较少的
- more 更多的