- <口>使痛苦， 使极不舒服，使疼痛
- vt. & vi. 杀死 put to death; cause the death of
- vt. & vi. 终止,结束 bring to an end
- vt. & vi. 停 stop
- vt. & vi. (使)疼痛,(使)痛苦 cause pain to sb
- vt. & vi. (使)失败,遭拒绝 cause to fail or be rejected
the act of terminating a life
the destruction of an enemy plane or ship or tank or missile;
"the pilot reported two kills during the mission"
cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly;
"This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank"
"The farmer killed a pig for the holidays"
thwart the passage of;
"kill a motion"
"he shot down the student's proposal"
end or extinguish by forceful means;
"Stamp out poverty!"
"drunken driving kills"
be the source of great pain for;
"These new shoes are killing me!"
overwhelm with hilarity, pleasure, or admiration;
"The comedian was so funny, he was killing me!"
hit with so much force as to make a return impossible, in racket games;
"She killed the ball"
hit with great force;
"He killed the ball"
deprive of life;
"AIDS has killed thousands in Africa"
cause the death of, without intention;
"She was killed in the collision of three cars"
drink down entirely;
"He downed three martinis before dinner"
"She killed a bottle of brandy that night"
"They popped a few beer after work"
mark for deletion, rub off, or erase;
"kill these lines in the President's speech"
tire out completely;
"The daily stress of her work is killing her"
cause to cease operating;
"kill the engine"
destroy a vitally essential quality of or in;
"Eating artichokes kills the taste of all other foods"
- His wife was killed in a car accident.
- They fumigated the room to kill the vermin.
- The noise killed the music.
- They have the right to kill a bill in Parliament .
- Swallow can help peasants kill pests.
- The insecticide will kill off the insect pests.
- My back is killing me.
- My feet are killing me.
- You cannot kill time without injuring eternity.
- We played cards to kill time until the bus came.
- Those stairs kill me every time!
- The heavy work almost killed me.
- The hunters are moving in for the kill.
- The tiger dragged its kill into the jungle.
- The hunters brought their kill back to camp.
- Careless driving kills!
- It's easy to kill, but impossible to restore life.
- The troops were shooting to kill.
- Handle these toxic substances carefully; they can kill.
- Mosquitoes kill easily when incubating.
- This kind of pigs all kill well.
- He killed the enemy.
- He killed a robber in self-defence.
- We have killed all the invaders on the spot.
- I was determined to finish even if it killed me.
- Car accidents kill thousands of Americans every year.
- Your dog is going to kill that cat in a minute.
- My mother will kill me when she finds out where I've been.
- The boss will kill me if she finds out about this!
- His jokes killed me.
- The long hike killed me.
- Overwork killed him.
- My feet are killing me.
- It kills him to admit he is wrong.
- Cold weather killed most of the plants in their garden.
- The frost killed the flowers.
- With his remark he killed further conversation.
- The heavy downpour killed our hope of getting home before midnight.
- That mistake has killed his chances.
- They have the right to kill a bill in Parliament.
- Why did he kill this proposal?
- Patrick killed the engine, but the hippo sensed danger and submerged.
- Kill the lights.
- The newspaper editor killed the story.
- A drink of water killed the taste of the medicine.
- This drug helps to kill pain.
- While waiting for the train, he killed time by reading.
- They killed an hour at the zoo.
- One colour may kill another near it.
- That floral carpet kills the effect of your curtains.
- She killed the bottle of wine.
- His sister was killed in a car accident.
- I was almost killed in the fighting.
- I will kill you a goat.
- She says that she will kill me that pig when I come next time.
- He killed a pig for me.
- He stopped the car suddenly, killing the motor.
- kill by〔with〕( v.+prep. )
用…杀死,被…害死 kill (sb/sth) use sth
kill sb/sth by〔with〕 sth
She killed him by a hammer.
You will kill the child with kindness.
He killed his enemy with a spear.
The jewel thief killed one of the policemen with a knife.
You will have to kill these unwanted plants with poison.
He was killed by a heavy stone.
He was killed by famine.
She was killed by a fall from the horse.
- kill off( v.+adv. )
消灭; 把…一个接一个地杀死 kill (things or people) one at a time
kill sb/sth ⇔ off
The invaders killed off all the inhabitants of the town.
The flood of hunters killed off most of the buffaloes in that area.
This fever has been killing off many of the older people in the city.
The factory dumped wastes into the river and killed off the fish.
The low price they asked killed their competition off.
Changed circumstances killed these projects off.
The president suggested a new law to Congress but many members of Congress were against the idea and they killed it off.
The trees were killed off by the severe winter.
In this play, all the characters except one get killed off by the last act, so that we know which one is the murderer.
- kill a bill 否决议案
- kill a cat 杀死一只猫
- kill a dog 杀死一只狗
- kill a light 关灯
- kill a live circuit 切断通电电路
- kill a man 杀死一个人
- kill a petition 拒绝请愿书
- kill a policeman 杀死一个警察
- kill an engine 使发动机熄火
- kill animals 宰动物
- kill faith 使丧失信心
- kill hunger 充饥
- kill joy 扫兴
- kill proposal 否决提案
- kill sb's appetite 使某人毫无食欲
- kill sb's interest 破坏某人的情趣
- kill submarine 炸沉潜水艇
- kill time 消磨时间
- kill well 出肉率高
- kill accidentally 意外地杀死
- kill basely 卑鄙地杀死
- kill brutally 残忍地杀死
- kill completely 彻底杀死
- kill easily 轻易地宰杀
- kill ferociously 凶猛地杀死
- kill incessantly 不断地破坏
- kill infallibly 彻底地杀死
- kill insanely 疯狂地杀死
- kill instantly 立即杀死
- kill intentionally 有意地杀死
- kill pitilessly 无情地杀死
- kill savagely 野蛮地杀死
- kill slightly 悄悄地杀死
- kill uselessly 无效地破坏
- kill utterly 完全地杀死
- kill wantonly 胡乱地杀死
- kill off 完全除掉,使全死掉,使完全失去
- kill off all one's political opponents 把政敌全部除掉
- kill out 杀掉,除去,消灭,摧毁
Always being right up with the hounds..for fear that she might miss a kill.出自： R. Dahl
It'd do them good to watch their mother hunt and share a fresh kill.出自： R. K. Narayan
Bentley did kill his adversary dead.出自： J. C. Morison
He's dead because I killed him.出自： Le Roi Jones
Nearly killed myself on the tower ladder.出自： V. Canning
- kill与half, almost, nearly等修饰语连用时,可以表示“杀而未死,几乎杀死”。
- kill by, kill with
- kill by用于被动结构可引出动作的主体,而kill with则没有这种用法。例如:
- Cage was killed by the thief.凯奇被那个贼杀死了。
- kill, assassinate, die, execute
- 1.kill表示“杀死”,是中性词,一般指死于非命; die表示“死”,是中性词,一般指正常死亡。例如:
- He died three years ago.他三年前去世了。
- The attempt of assassinating the prime minister failed.刺杀首相的企图未能得逞。
- The man was executed for treason of his own country.那人因叛国罪而被处死。
- 2.kill的宾语可以是人或物,施动者也可以是人或物; die常用作不及物动词,不用于被动结构,可跟同源宾语。例如:
- She died a heroic death.她英勇就义了。
- The invaders murdered thousands and thousands of the natives.侵略者屠杀了成千上万的当地居民。
- kill, butcher, massacre, slaughter
- kill, hang, murder, shoot
- 1.kill是一般用语,指任何致死的行动,不能表示“杀而未死”; murder主要指用非法手段蓄意地、有预谋地杀害某人; shoot专指用枪打死或用非法手段暗杀某人,本词有“打(杀)而未必死”之义,故若强调“打(杀)死”时需要其他词的辅助,常见的结构有:
- shoot...and kill..., shoot...to death, shoot...dead等; hang特指“绞死或吊死”。例如:
- She killed him with a hammer.她用铁锤砸死了他。
- He was murdered by his brother.他被他哥哥谋杀了。
- He shot a lion with his rifle.他用步枪打中一头狮子。
- He was hanged for murder.他因杀人而被绞死。
- 2.kill的宾语可以用于人,也可用于动物、植物; shoot的宾语可以用于人,也可用于动物; murder, hang的宾语只用于人,不能用于动物、植物。例如:
- The frost killed the flowers.严霜使花枯死。
- He shot a bird and killed it.他打中了一只鸟,并且把它打死了。
- She murdered her husband.她谋杀了她的丈夫。
- He hanged himself in sorrow after his wife died. 他妻子死后,他在悲痛之下吊死了。
误 He killed the snake but it escaped.
正 He tried to kill the snake but it escaped.
误 Herself was killed by her last night.
正 She killed herself last night.
正 She was killed by herself last night.
误 We have killed all the invaders to death.
正 We have killed all the invaders.
析 kill有“杀而致死”的意思,因此to death是多余的。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的kullen，意为杀。