- [C]枪,炮 a weapon from which bullets are fired through a metal tube
- [S]起跑信号,发令枪声 signal to begin a race, given with a starting pistol
- vt. & vi. 开枪,开炮 shoot sb or fire the gun
- vt. & vi. 加大油门 step heavily on the accelerator
- a weapon that discharges a missile at high velocity (especially from a metal tube or barrel)
- large but transportable armament
- a person who shoots a gun (as regards their ability)
- a professional killer who uses a gun
- a hand-operated pump that resembles a revolver; forces grease into parts of a machine
- a pedal that controls the throttle valve;
"he stepped on the gas"
- the discharge of a firearm as signal or as a salute in military ceremonies;
"two runners started before the gun"
"a twenty gun salute"
- shoot with a gun
- He was clubbed to death with a butt of a gun.
- It's illegal to carry guns in our country.
- The soldier saw a gun jutting out from a bush.
- The gun has an elevation of 45 degrees.
- Two soldiers dismounted the gun from the base.
- I saw them gun down innocent women and children.
Guns are forbidden in China.
Rifles,pistols,revolvers and cannons are guns.
He shot a wolf with his gun.
The guns destroyed the enemy's position.
They painted the wall with a spray gun.
Wait for the gun!
He hired a gun.
He is the criminal who used a gun to rob people.
The driver gunned away home.
The pilot of the airplane gunned his engine for a sharp climb.
Two white-helmeted officers gunned their engines into life.
- a big〔great〕 gun
大人物,要人 important person
Several big guns from the headquarters are coming to see us today. 总部的几个大人物今天要来看我们。
- 大人物,要人 important person
- draw a gun on
以枪威胁某人 use a gun to threaten sb
I wasn't going to give him the money, but he drew a gun on me, so I had no choice. 我不想给他那笔钱,可是他用枪威胁我,于是我无可选择了。
- 以枪威胁某人 use a gun to threaten sb
- stick to〔stand by〕 one's guns
坚持自己的意见 refuse to change one's opinions
It should be an interesting argument, as both politicians are known for sticking to their guns, and neither is likely to give way to the other. 这次辩论一定很有意思,因为两位政治家都以坚持己见闻名,谁都不大可能向对方让步。
At first the boss would not give Mary the raise in pay she wanted, but she stood by her guns and he gave it to her. 一开始老板不想按玛丽的要求给她加薪,但她坚持不让,于是老板就让步了。
- 坚持自己的意见 refuse to change one's opinions
- under the gun(s)
全速 at full speed
They were working under the gun to get the bridge repaired before the rainy season set in. 他们全力以赴,以便在雨季到来之前把桥修复。
- 全速 at full speed
- gun down (v.+adv.)
用枪击伤,枪杀 shoot, kill or wound (sb) with a gun, especially without pity gun sb/sth ⇔ down
The criminal gunned the policeman down and escaped.罪犯枪伤了警察,逃走了。
The Japanese troops gunned down countless numbers of innocent Chinese when they invaded China.日本军队侵略中国后,枪杀了无数无辜的中国人。用于 be ～ed 结构
The guard was gunned down.卫兵被枪杀了。
- 用枪击伤,枪杀 shoot, kill or wound (sb) with a gun, especially without pity gun sb/sth ⇔ down
- gun for (v.+prep.)
搜寻(某人) try to search (sb)
Keep hidden, because they'll be gunning for you. 好好藏着,他们会搜寻你的。
伺机加害 try to find reasons for attacking or harming (sb)
I advise you to be very careful over the next several weeks,old Sanders is gunning for you. 我劝你今后几周里要特别小心,老桑德斯正在伺机害你。
Ever since I proved he'd made a mistake in the report the boss has been gunning for me, trying to get me dismissed. 自从我证实了上司的报告有误后,他一直伺机报复,设法要把我解雇。
追求,竭力谋求 try to seek sth
He went gunning for rabbits. 他打兔子去了。
They are gunning for support. 他们在寻求援助。
He is gunning for a rise. 他在想方设法升职。
- 搜寻(某人) try to search (sb)
- adjust a gun (将火炮等)调整好射击
- aim one's gun at 把枪瞄准…
- beat the gun 偷跑
- carry a gun 带枪
- clean a gun 擦枪
- draw a gun 拔出枪来
- fire a gun 开枪
- hold a gun 持枪
- hold a gun on sb 把枪对准某人
- hold a gun to sb's head 把枪口对准某人的脑袋
- jump the gun 提前行动,(赛跑时的)抢跑
- lay a gun 瞄准
- level one's gun at 用枪瞄准…,把枪对准…
- load a gun 装子弹
- man a gun 就位
- point a gun at sb 用枪对着某人
- shoot a gun 放枪,打炮
- shoulder a gun 扛枪,使枪上肩
- stick to one's guns 固守阵地,固执己见
- turn one's gun round 掉转枪口
- air gun 气枪
- BB gun BB 型气枪
- field gun 野战炮
- machine gun 机关枪
- magazine gun 连发枪
- ray gun 激光枪,射线枪
- shot gun 猎枪
- Tommy gun 〈口〉汤姆枪,冲锋枪
- starter's gun 发令枪
- warship with 16-inch guns 装备16英寸口径大炮的兵舰
- as sure as a gun 千真万确
- be made like a gun 造得结实
- under the gun 在严密监视之下
- gun down 枪杀
- gun for 用枪搜索捕杀,寻求,争取,伺机加害
They had two camel guns, small cannons which could be..fired from the backs of camels.出自：J. G. Farrell
Police 'gunned down innocent man by mistake.'出自：Times
- the gun表示用发令枪发出的起跑信号、发令枪声,作此解时,一般用单数形式。
- 在英国用法及美国传统用法中, gun不指“手枪”,而是指各种“枪炮”“武器”,以及狩猎队中持枪的“猎手”。在现代英语中, gun往往泛指“手枪”。
- gun, artillery, cannon
这组词都有“枪炮”“火炮”的意思。其区别是：gun指小型枪炮或其他枪状物、喷射器等; cannon指比较大型的、火力较猛的“大炮”“火炮”“加农炮”“榴弹炮”或战斗机上的“机关炮”; artillery是所有火炮,大炮的总称。例如:The gun sounded and the race began.信号枪一响,赛跑就开始了。The soldiers fired the cannon.士兵们发射大炮。They got an antiaircraft artillery from their enemy.他们从敌人那里缴获一门高射炮。
误 He shot his sister by a gun.
正 He shot his sister with a gun.
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语go的bbukde，意为枪，炮。
- gun:gun n. 炮, 枪, 手枪, 油门vi. 用枪射击, 用枪打猎, 加大油门快速前进vt. 向...开枪, 开大(引擎、汽车)的油门习惯用语a big gun [俚]大人物, 高级军官a great…