an area in hostile territory that has been captured and is held awaiting further troops and supplies;
"an attempt to secure a bridgehead behind enemy lines"
"the only foothold left for British troops in Europe was Gibraltar"
a place providing support for the foot in standing or climbing
an initial accomplishment that opens the way for further developments;
"the town became a beachhead in the campaign to ban smoking outdoors"
"they are presently attempting to gain a foothold in the Russian market"
- The idea has gained foothold.
- It is not easy to get a foothold as an anchorman.
- It may be many years before the new company can gain a secure foothold in the market.
- It isn't easy to get a foothold as an actor.
- He found a secure foothold and pulled himself up.
- The company is eager to gain a foothold in Europe.