- [U]食物,养料 sth that living creatures take into their bodies to provide them with energy and to help them to develop and to live
- [C][U]食品,固体食物 sth solid for eating
- [U]资料,精神食粮 subject matter (for an argument or careful thought); that which helps ideas to start working in the mind
any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build tissue
any solid substance (as opposed to liquid) that is used as a source of nourishment;
"food and drink"
anything that provides mental stimulus for thinking
- What's your favorite food?
- I prefer vegetarian food.
- The scarcity of food forced prices up.
- They were shoveling food into their mouths.
- There is food and drink in plenty now.
- I doled out the food to all the children.
- The food should be kept at low temperature.
- Our bodies cannot go without food and water.
- He likes baseball and good food. He is a man after my own heart.
- She made a noise about the poor food.
- We scattered plates of food around the room before the party.
- The guests swarmed around the tables where the food was set out.
- The avocado is a valuable food.
- Oatmeal is a breakfast food.
- Foods high in cholesterol or saturated fat cause heart attacks.
- Hardly any fried foods agree with me now.
- He wrote out a long list of all the foods which were forbidden.
- He became food for fishes.
- food for thought
引人深思的事 sth worthy of careful consideration
- off one's food
〈俚〉无食欲的 lacking an appetite
- ask for food 讨饭
- buy food 购买食物
- cook food 做饭
- eat food 吃食物
- have food 吃东西
- look for food 寻找食物
- prepare food 准备食品
- provide food 提供食物
- receive food 得到食物
- refuse food 拒绝进食,不吃东西,绝食
- serve food 供应食品
- take food 吃东西
- throw up one's food 呕吐
- touch food 吃过东西
- turn from food 不想吃东西
- agreeable food 可口的食品
- canned food 罐头食品
- cheap food 便宜的食品
- Chinese food 中餐
- choice food 美味的食品
- conventional food 便饭
- cooked food 熟食
- delicious food 美味食品
- excellent food 精美的食品
- expensive food 昂贵的食品
- fast food 快餐
- fresh food 新鲜的食物
- green food for farm animals 耕畜的青饲料
- heavy food 难消化的食物
- high-priced food 高价食品
- left-over food 剩下的食物
- light food 容易消化的食物
- mental food 精神食粮
- natural food 天然食品
- plain food 清淡的饭食
- rich food 油腻的食品
- salty food 咸食物
- simple food 简单的食物
- soft food 软食
- well-cooked food 做得可口的饭菜
- Western food 西餐
- animal food 肉食品
- plant food 植物食品
- sea food 海鲜
- soul food 具有黑人风味的食品
- vegetable food 蔬菜食品
- western-style food 西餐
- without food 不吃东西
Want of food..the most efficient cause of the three immediate checks to population.出自： T. R. Malthus
After a day without food he began to grow hungry.出自： Scott Fitzgerald
- food表示某种可吃的食物时,为可数名词。a food指一种食物, foods指多种食物。
- food, diet, provisions, rations, table
- 这五个词都可作“食物”解。其区别在于:food是一般用语,在科学上指把植物作为营养的东西,常有plant food那样的用法; diet指惯常的或规定的食物,特指维持健康的定量或定质的食物,又指疗养时规定的食物,也指肉食或素食等食物。常指病人,犯人,减肥者等吃的食物; provisions意为“一批粮食”,指即时应用或储藏备用的食物; rations指配给的定量食物; table指陈列于桌上的食品,一般是较丰盛的。例如:
- Milk is the natural food for young babies.牛奶是婴儿的天然食物。
- I like a simple diet best.我最喜欢粗茶淡饭。
- I'm going to buy provisions for the holidays.我要去买一些假期所需要的食物。
- People in some countries live on rations.一些国家的人们靠配给的定量食物为生。
- He keeps a good table.他备盛宴以待客。
误 I don't like the foods served in this restaurant.
正 I don't like the food served in this restaurant.人口增加需要更多的食物。
误 More foods are necessary for an increasing population.
正 More food is necessary for an increasing population.食物供应不能满足他们的需要。
误 The supply of foods cannot meet their needs.
正 The supply of food cannot meet their needs.
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的fode，最初源自古英语的foda，意为食物，喂。