- v. 移居；移民
- vt. 移居国外 leave one's own country to go and live in another country
leave one's country of residence for a new one;
"Many people had to emigrate during the Nazi period"
- I'll emigrate to the western woods.
- He's decided to emigrate and start a new life in America.
- Many people had to emigrate during the Nazi period.
- I don't like your plan to emigrate to Canada.
- emigrate from( v.+prep. )
离开(本国)移居到国外 leave one's own country in order to go and live in another country
emigrate from sth
In the present difficult conditions, many people are emigrating from Britain.
- emigrate to( v.+prep. )
迁居到 move oneself, one's family, and possessions to another country to start a new life
emigrate sb to sth
Many British doctors are emigrating to the United States.
- emigrate, immigrate, migrate
- 这三个词的共同意思是“移居”。emigrate侧重于“离开本国”; immigrate侧重于“进入另一个国家”,通常指长期迁移定居; migrate指人的“迁移”,可以是大群的人,也可以是个人,不一定非要从一国到另一国。
- ☆ 1778年左右进入英语，直接源拉丁语的emigrare，意为移居国外。