- [S]十字架 the frame made of a long vertical piece of wood with a shorter horizontal piece joined to it near the top
- [C]十字形饰物 any object, structure, or picture in this shape
- [S]画十字的动作 cross-shaped sign made with the right hand as a Christmas religious act
- [S]杂交品种; 混合物 animal or plant that is the offspring of different breeds or varieties; mixture of two different things
- [U]痛苦,苦难 pain; suffering
- vt. & vi. 穿过,越过,渡过 go across; pass from one side to the other side
- vt. & vi. 交叉,相交; 错过 intersect; miss
- vt. 反对,阻挠; 使受挫折 oppose; be against ; be reversed
- 坏脾气的,易怒的 bad-tempered; angry easily
- 相反的,反向的 contrary; opposite
- a wooden structure consisting of an upright post with a transverse piece
- a marking that consists of lines that cross each other
- a representation of the structure on which Jesus was crucified; used as an emblem of Christianity or in heraldry
- any affliction that causes great suffering;
"that is his cross to bear"
"he bears his afflictions like a crown of thorns"
- (genetics) an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock; especially offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties or breeds or species;
"a mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey"
- (genetics) the act of mixing different species or varieties of animals or plants and thus to produce hybrids
- extending or lying across; in a crosswise direction; at right angles to the long axis;
"cross members should be all steel"
"from the transverse hall the stairway ascends gracefully"
- annoyed and irritable
- travel across or pass over;
"The caravan covered almost 100 miles each day"
- meet at a point
- hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of;
"What ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing September surge"
"foil your opponent"
- fold so as to resemble a cross;
"she crossed her legs"
- to cover or extend over an area or time period;
"Rivers traverse the valley floor"
"The parking lot spans 3 acres"
"The novel spans three centuries"
- meet and pass;
"the trains crossed"
- trace a line through or across;
"cross your `t'"
- breed animals or plants using parents of different races and varieties;
"cross a horse and a donkey"
"Mendel tried crossbreeding"
"these species do not interbreed"
- It's very dangerous for children to cross the busy street.
- Meet me at the point where the two paths cross.
- The experts in the zoo tried to cross a leopard with a lion.
- He crosses me in everything.
- We can cross his name off the list as he's not coming.
- My mother crossed an acquaintance on the street.
- He has been crossed in his plans.
- She wore a small silver cross on a chain round her neck.
- If you can't sign your name, make a cross instead.
- You must bear the cross of your disability.
- There was an accident yesterday at the cross part of three roads.
- Finally, it turned out to be a result cross to our purpose.
- He was very cross because his roommate took his umbrella without getting his permission.
- A mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey.
- Studies on Generic Cross between Solanum lycopersicoides and Lyco-persi con sp.
Jesus died on the cross.
Kehr wore a tiny golden cross.
They mark them with a red cross.
There is a wooden cross on his grave.
He was awarded a cross for gallantry in combat.
I could not write my name, so I make the sign of the cross.
The reader has to indicate, with a cross or a tick, the answer.
Mother told me to cut the cloth on the cross.
A mule is a cross between a mare and a donkey.
The drink tasted like a cross between coffee and hot chocolate.
This play is a cross between farce and tragedy.
We all have our cross,I suppose.
I'll meet you where the roads cross.
The roads cross at the People's Square.
They crossed from England to France.
We have to cross the railway line by the foot bridge.
The bridge crosses the river at its narrowest point.
Line A crosses line B at right angles.A
If I cross his path,I'll tell him to return the book.
We crossed each other on the way.
Cross me and you'll regret it.
He becomes very angry if anyone crosses him.
He crossed me in everything.
The river is crossed by a bridge.
The cross and hungry children came in.
She gave me a cross look.
The strong cross wind makes it difficult for our boat to leave harbour.
I'm sorry I was cross at you yesterday.
It's no good getting cross at her.
Mother was really cross with me when I broke the window.
For goodness' sake, don't go near her, she's as cross as too sticks.
- cross off1 (v.+adv.)
划掉 remove (sth) by drawing a line through it cross sth ⇔ off
The teacher crossed off his name from the list.老师从名单上划掉他的名字。
- 划掉 remove (sth) by drawing a line through it cross sth ⇔ off
- cross off2 (v.+prep.)
从…中划掉 remove (sth) from sth by drawing a line through it cross sth off sth
I'll cross your name off the list.我将把你的名字从名单上划掉。
- 从…中划掉 remove (sth) from sth by drawing a line through it cross sth off sth
- cross out (v.+adv.)
勾掉,划掉 draw a line through (writing) to remove it cross sth ⇔ out
Cross out the last four names, they're not members any more.划掉最后四个名字,他们不再是这里的成员了。
Why did you cross out the last line of your letter?你怎么把信中的最后一行划掉了?
Cross out the numbers when you hear them.划去你听到的那些数字。
- 勾掉,划掉 draw a line through (writing) to remove it cross sth ⇔ out
- cross over (v.+adv.)
横〔越〕过(河等); 穿过(道路、屋子等) move across a river, road, room, etc. cross over
Cross over at the traffic lights, where the road is safe.在交通指挥灯那儿过马路,那儿安全。cross over to sth
He crossed over to the window to see if it was still misty.他走到窗户那儿,看看是不是还有雾霭。
If we had a boat we could cross over to the island.如果有条船的话,我们就可以越过大海到那个岛上去。
〈主英〉改变立场 change one's loyalty, especially political cross over
They crossed over and joined the Opposition.他们改变立场加入了反对党。cross over to sb
The Minister has threatened to cross over to the other side if the government refuses to accept his decision.那位部长威胁说,如果政府拒绝他的决定,他就要改而加入反对派。
- 横〔越〕过(河等); 穿过(道路、屋子等) move across a river, road, room, etc. cross over
- cross with (v.+prep.)
与…一起横〔越〕过(马路等) move across (usually a road) with (sb/sth) cross with sth
Cross with care at the traffic lights.横穿马路时要留心看交通指挥灯。cross sth with sb
The children must cross the road only with a teacher or parent.孩子们必须和老师或父〔母〕亲一起过马路。
使…与…杂交 unite (an animal or plant) with (a different kind of animal or plant) to produce a mixed kind of new young or new plant cross sb/sth with sb/sth
Is it possible to cross a tiger with a lion?能不能让老虎和狮子交配?
If you cross soft wheat with hard wheat you can produce flour suitable for making bread.如果你把软麦和硬麦杂交,你就可以生产出适于制作面包的面粉。
与(某人)发生(友好的)争论 start a difference of opinion, often friendly, with (sb) cross swords with sb
They cross verbal swords with each other.他们彼此唇枪舌剑地交锋。
A member of the club crossed swords with the boss at the beginning of the meeting.会议刚开始,一位俱乐部成员就与老板争论起来。
- 与…一起横〔越〕过(马路等) move across (usually a road) with (sb/sth) cross with sth
- cross the Rubicon
孤注一掷,破釜沉舟 stake all on a single throw; cut off all means of retreat
I began to steady the palsy of my nerves and to feel that the Rubicon was crossed. 我开始镇定下来,觉得大势已定。
- 孤注一掷,破釜沉舟 stake all on a single throw; cut off all means of retreat
- cross to
与…相反 opposite to
It was just a result cross to our purpose. 这恰恰是与我们的目的相反的结果。
I have an idea cross to theirs. 我有一个与他们的主张相反的想法。
- 与…相反 opposite to
- erect a cross 树起十字架
- mark a cross 标十字记号
- mark one's cross 画押,画十字
- bear one's cross 忍受苦难
- carry one's cross 忍受苦难
- follow the cross 信基督教
- go on the cross 走上邪路
- take up one's cross 忍受苦难
- Geneva cross 红十字
- Greek cross 希腊式十字架
- Latin cross 拉丁式十字架
- boundary cross 十字形标界
- the Distinguished Service C- 十字勋章
- the Iron C- 铁十字勋章
- cross a bridge 过桥
- cross a cheque 画线于支票上
- cross a horse 跨上马
- cross a river 过河
- cross a street 过街
- cross an area of land or water 跨越某地区或水域
- cross knife and fork 刀与叉十字交叉放着
- cross one's arms 两手交叉
- cross one's fingers 交叉十指
- cross one's heart (宣誓时)在胸前画十字,向某人保证
- cross one's mind 想起
- cross one's palm 贿赂
- cross oneself 在胸前画十字
- cross path 碰见(某人)
- cross swords 争论,辩论
- cross the border 越境
- cross the finish line 越过终线
- cross the sea 过海
- cross boldly 勇敢地越过
- cross carefully 小心地越过
- cross cautiously 小心地越过
- cross freely 自由地穿过
- cross gloomily 忧闷地穿过
- cross piously 虔诚地画十字
- cross rapidly 迅速地越过
- cross slowly 慢慢地穿过
- cross steadily 稳稳地跨过
- cross suddenly 突然地越过
- cross unreasonably 毫无理由地反对
- cross off 划掉,删去
- cross off sb's name 划掉某人的名字
- cross out 划掉,删去
- cross over 横越,投奔敌方
- cross up 使受挫折,欺骗
- cross up the whole plan 把整个计划打乱了
- cross at 在…交叉
- cross by 由…穿〔越〕过
- cross oneself for fear 因害怕而在胸前画十字
- cross from 从…渡过
- cross sb in everything 处处与某人作对
- cross sb in his wishes 与某人意愿相违
- cross in love 失恋
- cross in the post 在邮寄途中错过
- cross into another territory 越过…而进入别国领土
- cross sth off the list 把…从名单上划掉
- cross each other on the way 在途中互相错过
- cross over a river 渡河
- cross over to 横渡到,转投另一方
- cross through China 横穿中国
- cross to an island 渡至一岛上
- cross to the other side of the street 从地道过街
- cross one animal with another 使一种动物与另一种动物进行杂交
- cross swords with 与…争论〔辩〕
- feel cross 感到不高兴
A small opal cross on her ample bosom.出自：A. Wilson
How many cross issues baffle the parties.出自：fig.
I have..crossed the t's and dotted the i's.出自：Thackeray
Hermione..crossed off the days on her calendar.出自：E. Bowen
cross在英国常指代cross the English Channel，表示为“渡过英吉利海峡到法国去”。
He crossed to Paris to see his father.
- cross the Rubicon源出古罗马凯撒公元前49年孤注一掷率军渡过卢比孔河与庞贝决战。
- cross用作形容词的基本意思是“坏脾气的,易怒的”,一般用于非正式文体。常与介词with〔at〕连用表示“对某人生气”,与about连用表示“对某事感到生气”。cross还可表示“相反的,反向的”,常用于指风的方向; 与介词to连用时,则往往表示与某一抽象事物的方向相反,如思想、观念等。
- cross one's heart, cross one's mind, cross oneself
这三个短语的意思不同,短语cross one's heart和cross oneself的意思是“在胸前画十字”,用来表达忠诚、老实,用于本义; 而cross one's mind的意思是“突然想起”,用于比喻义。例如:The prisoner crossed his heart and said that he was innocent.这个犯人在胸前划了个十字,说自己是无辜的。She crossed herself as she left the church.她离开教堂时,在自己身上画十字。It never crossed my mind that he might refuse the request.我从未料到他会拒绝这个要求。
- cross, across
- across through cross
- My house is across the harbour，in the vicinity of the Kowloon Park．
- They live across the Central Plaza.
- Everyone shouts "kill it" when a rat is seen to run across the street．
- He has crossed the border into another territory．
- Many steel arch bridges cross the Mississippi in its lower reaches．
- They have crossed over to Japan．
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的cors；最初源自古典拉丁语的crux，意为高而圆的柱子。
- v.(动词) go across traverse transit frustrate oppose thwart
- adj.(形容词) annoyed ill-natured irritable testy
- CROSS:Church Related Online Software Systems教堂的相关网络的软件系统
- CROSS:Cross Support Service交叉支持服务
- CROSS:Centres Regionaux Operationnels de Surveillance et de SauvetageRegionaux中心。Sauvetage Operationnels德监视
- cross:cross n. 十字, 交叉, 十字架, 十字形物adj. 交叉的, 相反的, 乖戾的v. 使交叉, 横过, 勾划, 错过, 反对, 杂交 英英解释:名词cross:1. a wooden stru…