- [U]代表; 利益 for, in the interests of, or as the representative of (sb else)
as the agent of or on someone's part (usually expressed as
"on behalf of"
"in behalf of"
"the guardian signed the contract on behalf of the minor child"
"this letter is written on behalf of my client"
for someone's benefit (usually expressed as `in behalf' rather than `on behalf' and usually with a possessive);
"in your behalf"
"campaigning in his own behalf"
"spoke a good word in his friend's behalf"
- The agent spoke on behalf of his principal.
- On behalf of my colleagues and myself I thank you.
- He agreed to testify on behalf of the accused man.
- I put up the proposal on your behalf.
- I made all these troubles in your behalf.
- I intervened on her behalf to try to get the decision changed.
- Jim gave the vote of thanks on behalf of the fellowship.
- They threatened to become distressed sellers of large volumes of debt securities where they had been the biggest investors or had held assets on behalf of others.
- on〔in〕 behalf of/on〔in〕 sb's behalf
为了某人的利益；为了某人because of sb; for sb
- behalf的意思是“代表,利益”,作“利益”解时表示“为了…的利益”，在英式用法中常用on behalf of...,在美式用法中常用in behalf of...。