- Mr Auster is a fine writer, but this is not his best work.
- So there are two forms of evasion really going on," Auster says.
- If there is something getting Auster's goat, it's American politics.
- He thought that the culture of forestallment including austereness, plain and cautiousness in life.
- It's the only autobiographical passage in the book, says Auster - unlike Brill he's not an insomniac, but like everyone has had sleepless nights.
- There is a cold and auster moonlight that tells the soul of its loneliness and desperate isolation, its insignificance or its uncleanness.