a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography)
a subject of study
a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve
a particular environment or walk of life
a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function
the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary
- Our army had liberated many occupied areas.
- The dialect is spoken principally in the rural areas.
- Winter is the best time for hunting in mountain areas.
- The culture areas are essentially coincident with language areas.
- When the rules for police procedure were laid down, a lot of grey areas remained.