英 [ˌaɪɑːr'eɪ] 美 [ˌaɪɑːr'eɪ]
- abbr. (英)爱尔兰共和军(=Irish Republican Army)
- abbr. (美)个人退休帐户(=Individual Retirement Account)
a militant organization of Irish nationalists who used terrorism and guerilla warfare in an effort to drive British forces from Northern Ireland and achieve a united independent Ireland
a retirement plan that allows you to contribute a limited yearly sum toward your retirement; taxes on the interest earned in the account are deferred
belligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong (personified as one of the deadly sins)
- The IRA ceasefire lasted for just 18 months.
- Goertz found the IRA exasperatingly amateur.
- President Bush Announces Combat Operations in Ira!
- Soon afterwards, Ira came storming into the clinic.
- Both Ira and Hilary love exercise.
- But in 1981 everyone could open an IRA.