- [C] 院子 enclosed or partly enclosed space near or round a building or group of buildings, often paved
- [U] 码 unit of length equal to 3 feet or 0.9144 metre
a unit of length equal to 3 feet; defined as 91.44 centimeters; originally taken to be the average length of a stride
the enclosed land around a house or other building;
"it was a small house with almost no yard"
a tract of land enclosed for particular activities (sometimes paved and usually associated with buildings);
"they opened a repair yard on the edge of town"
the cardinal number that is the product of 10 and 100
a unit of volume (as for sand or gravel)
a tract of land where logs are accumulated
an area having a network of railway tracks and sidings for storage and maintenance of cars and engines
a long horizontal spar tapered at the end and used to support and spread a square sail or lateen
an enclosure for animals (as chicken or livestock)
- I was out in the back yard splitting logs.
- We planted some elms in the yard.
- Her carriage was the most beautiful one in the yard.
- He parked his car in the yard.
- His quiet home sits back in his yard.
- The trees formed a canopy over the yard.
- Three feet make one yard.
- Cloth is sold by the yard.
- Our yard is spacious enough for a swimming pool.
- There is a neat yard with a fence around it.
- Each individual house has its own yard.
- Our house has a garden at the front and a yard at the back.
- You cannot park the car in the front yard.
- There are some trees in the yard.
- The children are playing in the yard.
- I walked out into the yard and through the gate.
- When the goods arrived they were left in the railway goods yards.
- I work in the railroad yard.
- We play games in the school yard.
- His photographic memory enabled him to tuck away yards of facts.
- Can you still buy cloth by the yard in Britain?
- He was standing under a tree about ten yards away.
- We need three yards of sand.
- back yard 后庭院
- beautiful yard 美丽的庭院
- big yard 大院子,大庭院
- clean yard 清洁的庭院
- front yard 前庭院
- large yard 大院子
- marshalling yard (铁路)停车场,调车场
- square yard 平方码
- bee yard 养蜂场
- cattle yard 放牲畜的空地,牲畜栏
- chicken yard 养鸡场
- farm yard 农场
- goods yard 货物堆放场
- navy yard 〈美〉海军造船厂
- play yard 游戏场
- poultry yard 家禽养殖场
- prison yard 监狱院子
- railroad yard 〈美〉火车调车场
- railway yard 〈英〉火车调车场
- school yard 校园
- ship yard 造船场
- enclose in a yard 围入庭院内
- play in the yard 在院子里玩
- walk into the yard 走进院子
- by the yard 按码(计算)
- measure by the yard 按码量
- within a few yards 离这儿几码远
The railway line..was perfectly straight for a distance of over 700 yards.出自：Law Times
She bought a few yards of quilted fabric.出自：Yankee
- yard作“码”解时,是一种老式量度单位,用以表示长度、宽度、高度或深度,等于3英尺或36英寸或0.9144公尺,可略作yd.或yds.; yard与2以上的数词连用时有时可用其单数形式表示复数意义。
- yard, garden
- 这两个名词的共同意思是“园,院子”。其区别在于:garden指“花园”等植物的园,用复数时,也可表示“公园”; yard指房子前后的“院子”,房子与房子之间的“天井”“庭院”,也指家畜、家禽的围栏,圈栏等。例如:
- The garden needs cleaning up.这花园需要打扫整理。
- You can play outside, but you must not leave the yard.你可以在外面玩,但不能离开院子。
误 We buy cloth by a yard in England, not by the metre.
误 We buy cloth by yards in England, not by the metre.
正 We buy cloth by the yard in England, not by the metre.
析 英语中表示尺度或量度时,习惯用“by the+名词单数”结构。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的geard，意为圈起来的花园。