- n. 方向盘；车轮；旋转；周期
- vi. 旋转；转动；改变方向
- vt. 用车运；转动；给 ... 装轮子
- [C] 轮,车轮,机轮 disc or circular frame that turns on an axle, as on carts, cars, bicycles, etc. or as part of a machine, etc.
- [S] 驾驶盘,舵轮 the steering wheel of a car or guiding wheel of a ship
- [U] [C] 旋转,旋转运动 circular movement
- vi. 转动,旋转; 转身 turn suddenly or change direction; move in a wheel
- vt. 推,拉 move (a wheeled object) with the hands
a simple machine consisting of a circular frame with spokes (or a solid disc) that can rotate on a shaft or axle (as in vehicles or other machines)
a handwheel that is used for steering
forces that provide energy and direction;
"the wheels of government began to turn"
a circular helm to control the rudder of a vessel
game equipment consisting of a wheel with slots that is used for gambling; the wheel rotates horizontally and players bet on which slot the roulette ball will stop in
an instrument of torture that stretches or disjoints or mutilates victims
a wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals
change directions as if revolving on a pivot;
"They wheeled their horses around and left"
wheel somebody or something
move along on or as if on wheels or a wheeled vehicle;
"The President's convoy rolled past the crowds"
ride a bicycle
- They found her slumped over the steering wheel.
- Nobody can roll back the wheel of history.
- The wheel sheared off and fell to the ground.
- A wheel must have a shaft on which it may rotate.
- The sails of the windmill were wheeling round.
- Its monstrous wings seem to wheel in the leaden air around me.
- Will you wheel him away because he can't walk?
- The wheel is revolving about its axis.
- This wheel engages with that wheel and turns it.
- He wound the cord round a wheel.
- Luckily we were not going very fast when the wheel spun off and the car crashed into the fence.
- The wheel slipped from my frozen hand, and the car went right across the road.
- He took the wheel and steered the ship into port.
- The driver sat patiently behind the wheel.
- Those who can't afford wheels must hitch a ride.
- How come he's such a big wheel in England?
- John put a spoke in his brother's wheel.
- If you join us, everything will go on wheels.
- He wheeled and faced his opponent squarely.
- Pigeons wheeled over the eaves.
- The eagle wheeled in the sky.
- The car wheeled along the highway.
- Wheel the bike to the nearest repairing shop
- The beetle wheels his droning flight.
- The patient was wheeled into the operating room.
- Wheeled cab was drawn by a horse.
- behind the wheel
掌管,控制 in control
- set the wheels in motion
使车轮运转起来 make a start to a process
- take the wheel
开车,驾驶 drive the car
- wheels within wheels
错综复杂的情况 complicated setup in which small parts affect the other parts round them
- wheel and deal
洽谈,商量,讨价还价 negotiate or bargain in a clever, often dishonest way
- wheel about〔around,round〕 (v.+adv.)
急速转身; 突然改变主意 turn round rather sharply; change one's opinion to the opposite view rather suddenly
He wheeled about and faced his opponent squarely.
He wheeled around suddenly.
He wheeled round and went abruptly out of the room.
The sails of the windmill were wheeling round.
Whatever made the chairman wheel about like that?
- wheel away (v.+adv.)
(把…)推走 put (sb/sth) away from a place
The carriage wheeled away.
马车辘辘而去。wheel sb/sth ⇔ away
I shall be glad when she wheels the old man away.
Someone wheeled away my bike from the front of the house.
- wheel in (v.+adv.)
把…推入; 引…入内 push sb/sth into sth; lead sb as enters
wheel sb in
If he's arrived at last, do wheel him in!
The patient was wheeled in and the surgeon prepared to operate.
- wheel up (v.+adv.)
推动,拉动 move (a wheeled object) with the hands
wheel sth ⇔ up
The nurse wheeled the table up.
The nurse wheeled his dinner up to the bed.
- wheel about 突然转身,来回盘旋,突然改变看法
- wheel around 突然转身,来回盘旋,突然改变看法
- wheel in 把…推进来,把…引入
- wheel off 推走
- wheel out 把…运走
- wheel round 旋转
Now, in old age, when he expected little, looked forward to less, the wheel had come full circle.出自： S. Middleton
The gates..to the Elysian fields may..wheel back on their adamantine hinges.出自： F. Harrison
Summer is wheeling slowly towards its end.出自： fig.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的hweol，意为车轮。