refuse to accept;
"He refused my offer of hospitality"
refuse entrance or membership;
"They turned away hundreds of fans"
"Black people were often rejected by country clubs"
reject with contempt;
"She spurned his advances"
take a downward direction;
"The economy finally turned down after a long boom"
make lower or quieter;
"turn down the volume of a radio"
- Turn the heat down or your cake will burn.
- Please turn the radio down a bit.
- She petitioned her neighbor to turn down the radio.
- I turn down the offer.
- The board turn down all approach on the subject of merger.
- She turned down every offer of help.