- vt. & vi. 投; 掷; 扔; 抛 cause to fly through the air by a jerk of the arm
- [C]投,掷,抛 acting of throwing
- [C]投掷的距离 distance to which sth is or may be thrown
the act of throwing (propelling something with a rapid movement of the arm and wrist);
"the catcher made a good throw to second base"
a single chance or instance;
"he couldn't afford $50 a throw"
the maximum movement available to a pivoted or reciprocating piece by a cam
bedclothes consisting of a lightweight cloth covering (an afghan or bedspread) that is casually thrown over something
casting an object in order to determine an outcome randomly;
"he risked his fortune on a throw of the dice"
propel through the air;
"throw a frisbee"
move violently, energetically, or carelessly;
"She threw herself forwards"
get rid of;
"he shed his image as a pushy boss"
"shed your clothes"
place or put with great energy;
"She threw the blanket around the child"
"thrust the money in the hands of the beggar"
convey or communicate; of a smile, a look, a physical gesture;
"Throw a glance"
"She gave me a dirty look"
cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation;
"switch on the light"
"throw the lever"
put or send forth;
"She threw the flashlight beam into the corner"
"The setting sun threw long shadows"
"cast a spell"
"cast a warm light"
to put into a state or activity hastily, suddenly, or carelessly;
"Jane threw dinner together"
"throw the car into reverse"
cause to be confused emotionally
utter with force; utter vehemently;
"throw accusations at someone"
organize or be responsible for;
"hold a reception"
"have, throw, or make a party"
"give a course"
make on a potter's wheel;
"she threw a beautiful teapot"
cause to fall off;
"The horse threw its inexperienced rider"
throw (a die) out onto a flat surface;
"Throw a six"
be confusing or perplexing to; cause to be unable to think clearly;
"These questions confuse even the experts"
"This question completely threw me"
"This question befuddled even the teacher"
- Pick out some good apples from the box, and throw away the rest.
- The trees threw long shadows across the lawn.
- It's your turn to throw the dice.
- He threw the stone in the air.
- My nephew lives only a stone's throw from my house.
- What are the requirements for the throw itself?
- You throw, and I'll catch.
- He throws well.
- He can throw a hundred yards.
- Don't throw stones.
- He threw his last four grenades.
- A cannon throws shells.
- The fire engine throws a long stream of water.
- The wrestler threw his opponent.
- The horse threw the rider.
- I am not going to let the setback throw me.
- A cicada throws its slough.
- A snake throws its skin.
- The mare has just thrown a foal in the stable.
- His strange behaviour had greatly thrown her.
- The examination question threw me and I couldn't answer it.
- This problem is hard enough to throw the teacher.
- The road signs threw the driver.
- The news of her death really threw me.
- Star basketball players have accepted bribes to throw games.
- He almost threw a fit when he saw the bill.
- He hoped to see the plan fail and looked for a chance to throw a monkey wrench into the machinery.
- Just because you can't do what you want there's no need to throw a wobbly.
- He threw me the ball.
- Throw the poor dog a bone.
- The crowd threw the criminal a furious look.
- He threw me a curve about the hiring.
- He was thrown a book.
- He threw some coins to the beggar.
- The woman threw grain to the chicken.
- He threw the door open and walked in.
- The castle was thrown open two days a week.
- The competition was thrown open to the public.
- He made a nice throw.
- There was a good throw!
- He was the first place in the discus throw.
- They live about a stone's throw from my father's.
- The stronger wrestler won the first throw.
- She achieved a throw of sixty metres in the javelin event.
- throw about (v.+adv.)
〈口〉盛气凌人,骄横跋扈 be domineering (using one's authority or power)
throw sth ⇔ about
Don't throw waste paper about in the park.
不要在公园里乱扔废纸。throw one's weight about
I'm tired of him throwing his weight about , who does he think he is anyway?
- throw aside (v.+adv.)
把…扔在一旁 cause to pitch aside
throw sth ⇔ aside
The boy jumped up and threw aside his cap.
He threw aside all good proposals.
- throw at (v.+prep.)
投向,掷向 cast sth at sb/sth
throw oneself/sth at sb/sth
He threw a fierce look at me, so I wondered what I had done wrong.
Make sure that you behave very correctly towards the officer, or he's likely to throw the book at you for disobedience.
No politician will win the votes of serious-minded people if all he does is throwing mud at his opponent.
John is very attractive and I understand why you've fallen in love for him, but there's no need to throw yourself at him.
- throw away (v.+adv.)
浪费; 错过 waste; fail to take advantage of
- throw back (v.+adv.)
迫使某人依靠某事物 force sb to rely on sth
throw sth ⇔ back
A spectator threw the ball back to the players.
一个观众把球掷回给球员。throw sth ⇔ back
The cold he caught threw back his recovery from rheumatism.
感冒拖延了他风湿病痊愈的时间。throw sb back on sth
The shortage of gas has thrown us back on the use of bicycles.
Her friends had deserted her, and she was thrown back on her own resources.
- throw by (v.+prep.)
把…扔在一旁 cause to pitch aside
throw by sth
Maybe she'll be thrown by like a scrap of paper.
Spears are thrown by hand.
- throw down (v.+adv.)
抛弃,拒绝 cast off; reject
- throw dust in sb's eyes
- throw in1 (v.+adv.)
把…插入讨论、计划等bring into a discussion, a plan, etc. as an addition
throw sth ⇔ in
If you buy a television set, the store will throw in a microphone.
If you're set on buying the house, we'll throw in the carpets and curtains at no extra cost.
如果你决定买房子,我们将免费赠送地毯和窗帘。throw sth ⇔ in
The diplomat threw in a joke, and the tension was instantly relieved.
那位外交官插进一个笑话,紧张的气氛顿时缓和下来。throw in that-clause
She threw in that she must resign.
- throw in2 (v.+prep.)
认输 admit defeat or loss
throw sth in sth
At 10 somebody threw a bomb in a street there.
After reading the letter, he threw it in the waste-paper basket.
他看了信之后,把它扔进了废纸篓。throw in the towel
After taking a beating for five rounds, the boxer threw in the towel.
- throw into (v.+prep.)
把…扔进…; 投身于work busily at
throw sb/oneself into sth
The girl threw a stone into the well.
Despite the difficulties he threw himself into the research.
The enemy threw 200,000 men into his Yanan assault.
Far from retreating, he threw all his time and energy into secret revolutionary work.
This threw the reactionary police into utter panic.
The first waterfall they passed threw her into ecstasy.
Anyone who refused to bow before Gessler was thrown into prison.
The meeting was thrown into disorder.
Their regiment was thrown into action at once.
The country was thrown into a state of anarchy.
- throw off (v.+adv.)
摆脱 get rid of; free oneself from
- throw on (v.+prep.)
穿上 put on
throw sth on sth
The trees throw a shadow on the grass.
树木在草地上投下了阴影。throw cold water on sb/sth
Don't throw cold water on them.
Most people thought little of his suggestion and threw cold water on him.
He wasn't discouraged when they threw cold water on his ideas.
他们对他的想法浇冷水时,他并不泄气。throw doubt on sth
In doing so,he had thrown doubt on some people's religious beliefs.
他这样做,使人们对某些人的宗教信仰产生了怀疑。throw light on sth
This information throws light on the mystery of the President's death.
But there was nothing to throw light on the connection between the two men.
It threw light on the mentality of his former friend.
These findings are very valuable for they throw much light on the history of textile art.
Your investigation has thrown light on this question.
The scientist's experiments have thrown great light on the amazing ways honeybees communicate in their dark hives.
Illustrations throw light on the text.
图解是帮助说明正文的。throw on sth
He threw on his gown.
- throw out (v.+adv.)
提出(暗示、建议等) put forth or offer as a hint or suggestion
- throw over (v.+adv.)
放弃,背弃 abandon; give up
throw sb/sth ⇔ over
They felt inclined to throw the whole thing over.
He thought it wasn't right to throw people over.
- throw to (v.+prep.)
摔倒在地 pitch sb/sth to sth
throw sb/sth to the ground
Why did you throw the boy to the ground?
He seized the man and threw him to the ground.
- throw together (v.+adv.)
仓促地集成; 集拢; 集合 assemble hastily; bring together
throw sb/sth ⇔ together
That conference has thrown them together again.
Chance threw us together at a party.
I'm glad you liked the meal—it was just something I threw together at the last minute.
She made supper from leftovers she had thrown together.
That last textbook of his seems to have been thrown together.
They were thrown together by a common interest.
- throw up (v.+adv.)
浪费,荒废 waste; fail to take advantage of
throw sb/sth ⇔ up
Come to the bottom of the ladder and throw up the other brush, will you?
The passing car threw up a cloud of white soot.
The machine threw up great heaps of earth.
The baby loved being thrown up into the air and safely caught again.
这个婴儿喜欢被抛起来再被稳稳地接住。throw up one's hands
His mother threw up her hands in despair when the boy failed yet another examination.
That's the last time I'm trying; I throw up my hands!
She entered the room, then threw up her hands in horror at the terrible sight that met her eyes.
He got terribly drunk and was throwing up for most of the night.
他喝得烂醉,呕吐了大半夜。throw sth ⇔ up
Mike got sick and threw up everything he had eaten.
He took the medicine but threw it up almost immediately afterwards.
他把药吃了下去,但几乎立刻又吐出来了。throw sth ⇔ up
John threw up his job to go to Africa as a missionary.
She threw up a promising career as a model to get married.
A career such as that is not one that should be thrown up without serious thought.
这种职业不是那种可以不经慎重考虑就放弃掉的职业。throw up v-ing
Rod has decided to throw up playing squash because he's getting too old for it.
罗德决定不再玩壁球,因为玩这个他年纪太大了。throw sth ⇔ up
Let's use this wood to throw up a shelter for the night.
The builders threw up some temporary huts for the victims of the earthquake.
建筑工人们为地震灾民建成了一些临时住的棚屋。throw sb/sth ⇔ up
The conference has thrown up a number of interesting problems.
Our country has thrown up a number of great writers.
He threw up several ideas on the construction of the dam.
他为水坝的建造出了一些主意。throw sth ⇔ up
You shouldn't throw up a chance like that!
Don't throw up your education by leaving now.
- throw a bomb 扔一颗炸弹
- throw a bone 扔根骨头
- throw a bridge 架起一座桥
- throw a bullet 发射子弹
- throw a dance 开舞会
- throw a foal 产下一只小马
- throw a furious look 投以愤怒的目光
- throw a good opportunity 失去了一个好机会
- throw a microphone 赠送一只麦克风
- throw a monkey wrench 破坏
- throw a party 开联欢会
- throw a punch 出拳
- throw a vote 投票
- throw cold water 泼冷水
- throw its skin 蜕皮
- throw its slough 蜕皮
- throw one's girlfriend 抛弃了女朋友
- throw some coins 丢去几个硬币
- throw the ball 扔球
- throw the book 扔本书
- throw the boy 把小孩摔倒
- throw the discus 掷铁饼
- throw the grenades 投出手榴弹
- throw the hook 脱钩
- throw the manuscript 扔手稿
- throw the opponent 摔倒对手
- throw the stone 掷石头
- throw the tools 扔工具
- throw waste paper 扔废纸
- throw well 投掷得很好
- throw adroitly 熟练地投掷
- throw angrily 愤怒地投射
- throw ardently 积极地施加
- throw blindly 盲目地狂欢
- throw bravely 勇敢地摆脱
- throw briskly 轻松地投掷
- throw carelessly 粗心地投掷
- throw casually 漫无目的地投掷
- throw completely 彻底地难住
- throw conclusively 最后地投掷
- throw confidentially 秘密地投掷
- throw conscientiously 诚心诚意地投掷
- throw curiously 不寻常地投掷
- throw dangerously 危险地投掷
- throw dejectedly 沮丧地投掷
- throw desperately 不顾一切地投掷
- throw dispassionately 不带偏见地投掷
- throw eagerly 急切地投掷
- throw formidably 望而生畏地投掷
- throw furiously 愤怒地投掷
- throw grotesquely 可笑地投掷
- throw heartily 由衷地投掷
- throw heartlessly 无意地投掷
- throw horizontally 水平地投掷
- throw hurriedly 仓促地投掷
- throw impartially 不偏不倚地投掷
- throw impressively 大胆地投掷
- throw inconceivably 难以置信地投掷
- throw inexhaustibly 大量地投掷
- throw insistently 引人注意地投掷
- throw listlessly 无精打采地投掷
- throw methodically 有条理地投掷
- throw promptly 适当地投掷
- throw purposely 有目的地投掷
- throw quickly 迅速投掷
- throw readily 做好准备投掷
- throw recklessly 轻率地投掷
- throw satisfactorily 满意地投掷
- throw significantly 意味深长地投掷
- throw simultaneously 同一时间投掷
- throw skeptically 心存怀疑地投掷
- throw skillfully 技术高超地投掷
- throw spectacularly 特殊地投掷
- throw spontaneously 自然地投掷
- throw successively 连续投掷
- throw systematically 系统地投掷
- throw unconsciously 不知不觉地投掷
- throw uneasily 不易投掷
- throw unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地投掷
- throw unkindly 非善意地投掷
- throw violently 强有力地投掷
- throw money about 挥金如土
- throw weight around 滥用权势
- throw aside 把…摔在一边
- throw effort away 努力白费了
- throw invading troops back 打退入侵的军队
- throw clothes off 把衣服脱下
- throw clothes on 把衣服穿上
Downe himselfe he layd Upon the grassy ground to sleepe a throw.出自： Spenser
There they were, a stone's throw away from her.出自： R. Frame
The empty boat thrawed i' the wind.出自： D. G. Rossetti
- throw sth to sb, throw sth at sb
- 二者区别在于：前者是“把某物扔给某人”,含有让某人接住某物的意味,是善意的; 而后者的意思是“把某物向某人扔去”,含有寻衅的意味,是恶意的。试比较：
- The boy throws a bone to the dog.
- The boy throws a bone at the dog.
- throw oneself into, throw oneself on
- 这两个短语的意思不同：前者作“奋力投入”解; 而后者作“委身于”“任人摆布”解。例如:
- All the students have thrown themselves into the campaign to learn from Lei Feng.全体同学都投入到学雷锋运动中。
- Take your destiny into your own hands, and never throw yourself on the mercy of others.要自己掌握自己的命运,绝不能听他人摆布。
- throw up, blame for
- 二者均含有“因坏事而责备某人”的意思, throw up常用于美式英语中,而blame for常用于英式英语中。
- throw, cast, fling, hurl, pitch, toss
误 The stranger threw stones to the dog.
正 The stranger threw stones at the dog.说着这些话,猴子便将那块大石头朝鳄鱼扔去。
误 With these words, the monkey threw that big stone to the crocodile.
正 With these words, the monkey threw that big stone at the crocodile.小孩丢豆子给鸽子吃。
误 The children threw some peas at the pigeon.
正 The children threw some peas to the pigeon.
析 throw sth at sb/sth 的意思是“把某物向某人扔去”,含有寻衅的意味,是恶意的。表示“给饵料”要用throw...to。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古英语的rawan，意为扭动，歪曲。