- 由此,因而 by that means; by doing or saying that
by that means or because of that;
"He knocked over the red wine, thereby ruining the table cloth"
- They paid cash, thereby avoiding interest charges.
- He became a citizen, thereby gaining the right to vote.
- I have never been to that city; thereby I don't know much about it.
- Suppliers will lower the price to increase sales, thereby moving toward equilibrium.
- He became a British citizen, thereby gaining the right to vote.
- She wished to travel in Asia and thereby study the customs of the eastern countries.
- Thereby hangs a tale 其中大有文章...
Two great families would come together and thereby found a new line.出自：New York Times