- vt. 支持；承受；维持；认可；经受
- 扮演，能扮演（角色） ， 善于表演（性格）
- vt. 支撑; 维持; 支持 keep from falling or sinking; keep up; maintain
- vt. 蒙受; 遭受 suffer; undergo
- vt. 确认…有效; 准许 decide that (a claim, etc.) is valid; uphold
lengthen or extend in duration or space;
"We sustained the diplomatic negotiations as long as possible"
"prolong the treatment of the patient"
"keep up the good work"
undergo (as of injuries and illnesses);
"She suffered a fracture in the accident"
"He had an insulin shock after eating three candy bars"
"She got a bruise on her leg"
"He got his arm broken in the scuffle"
provide with nourishment;
"We sustained ourselves on bread and water"
"This kind of food is not nourishing for young children"
supply with necessities and support;
"She alone sustained her family"
"The money will sustain our good cause"
"There's little to earn and many to keep"
be the physical support of; carry the weight of;
"The beam holds up the roof"
"He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"
"What's holding that mirror?"
admit as valid;
"The court sustained the motion"
establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts;
"his story confirmed my doubts"
"The evidence supports the defendant"
- His hope for future sustained him.
- The ice will not sustain your weight.
- Some species may not be able to sustain the pressure from such prevalent raids.
- They had sufficient food to sustain life.
- The judge sustained his objection.
- The trucking company was able to sustain the severe fuel shortage .
- The pillars sustain the roof.
- The branches could hardly sustain the weight of fruit.
- Arches sustain the weight of the roof.
- Will this light shelf sustain the weight of all these books?
- The book's weakness is the author's inability to sustain an argument.
- He sustained a son at the university.
- His comforting words helped to sustain me in my faith during those dark days.
- Only the hope that the rescuers were getting nearer sustained the trapped miners.
- These provisions will sustain us for a week.
- He's not capable of sustaining shocks.
- The trucking company was able to sustain the severe fuel shortage.
- The pilot sustained severe injuries when his plane crashed.
- He sustained a severe blow on the head.
- The court sustained his claim that the contract was illegal.
- The facts sustain his theory.
- New data sustained our earlier findings.
- This book can sustain comparison with the classics.
- She was sustained by pride in her family.
- His claim was sustained by the court.
- The clapping was sustained for several minutes.
- sustain an attempt 经受尝试
- sustain a defeat 吃败仗
- sustain the injury 受到伤害
- sustain life 支撑生活
- sustain losses 蒙受损失
The excitement which had sustained him..had begun to ebb.出自： P. G. Wodehouse
There was something to sustain me over the next four weeks.出自： J. Braine
- sustain, bolster, brace, buttress, maintain, prop, support
- 这组词的共同意思是“支撑”。其区别在于:support指有基础或基座来承受某物的压力或重量,使其不坍塌或倒下,用于比喻可指能够经受住艰难困苦而不屈服; bolster指用垫枕等支撑物来支撑或承受负荷; brace指用支柱、支架来支住、撑牢某物,使其能抗住压力; buttress指用在建筑物应力点上加扶壁的办法来支住、加固某物,引申指用物质、金钱、事实等来支持某论点; maintain指保持某种状况或状态,给予所需的力量,以防力量、价值等有所损失; prop指支持需要立即加强或加固的事物; sustain强调始终不渝地支撑或保持。例如:
- This matter bolstered up his pride.这件事提高了他的自尊心。
- The struts are firmly braced.构架的支柱很牢固。
- She buttressed her argument with lots of solid facts.她用很多具体事实来支持她的论点。
- The state maintains the highways.政府养护公路。
- She propped up the baby's head by putting her hand behind its neck.她把手放在婴孩的头后,支撑他的头。
- She was sustained by pride in her family.对家庭的自豪感支持着她。
- sustain, experience, experiment, suffer, undergo
- 1.experience指人们“经历”过的事情,即生活中所遇到的事情或通过学习、实践取得经验的过程; experiment指科学家进行的试验或为了检验某种效果而进行的任何活动; suffer指体验到伤害和困苦; sustain指遭受苦难,但不一定有勇气或坚忍精神; undergo强调被迫经受不愉快的事或苦难,也可指经历时间。例如:
- The Chinese people have experienced untold sufferings under imperialist oppression.在帝国主义的压迫下,中国人民遭受了无数的苦难。
- They experimented on electricity.他们做电学实验。
- He seemed to have suffered a great deal.他好像受了很多苦。
- He has sustained a great loss by the death of his father.父亲死了,他遭受了巨大损失。
- He undergoes hardships.他备尝艰难。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的sustenir，意为忍受，支持；最初源自拉丁语的sustinere，意为支持。