make larger or distend;
"The estimates were puffed up"
to swell or cause to enlarge,
"Her faced puffed up from the drugs"
"puffed out chests"
become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger;
"The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
"The critics puffed up this Broadway production"
- The doctors have taped up my swollen ankle.
- So, through the process of osmosis, the water moves into the saltier ocular tissues, which makes them swell up.
- The pups, their bellies swollen with regurgitated meat, are on the threshold of being physically strong enough to keep up with their pack in the field.
- That boy puffed up himself in front of the girls.
- The man cries up his son as the cleverest.