- n. 力量；力；能力；权力；【数】幂；电力
- v. 使有力量；给 ... 提供动力
- adj. 电力的；力量的；权力的
- [S][U]权力,势力; 影响力 control over others; influence
- [U]政权 governmental control
- [U][C]权力,职权 right to act, given by law, rule, or official position
- [U]能力,天赋; 体力,力量 what one can do; ability to have physical effect; strength
- [U]功力,动力,功率 force that can be used for doing work, driving amachine, or producing electricity
- [C]强国,有权势的人〔团体等〕 a person, group, nation, spirit, etc., that has influence or control
- [C]幂,乘方 the number of times that an amount is to be multiplied by itself
- vt. 向…提供动力 supply power to especially a vehicle
- vi. 飞速行驶 move powerfully and fast
possession of controlling influence;
"the deterrent power of nuclear weapons"
"the power of his love saved her"
"his powerfulness was concealed by a gentle facade"
(physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done;
"danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
(of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power;
"being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage"
"during his first year in office"
"during his first year in power"
"the power of the president"
one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority;
"the mysterious presence of an evil power"
"may the force be with you"
"the forces of evil"
a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world
a very wealthy or powerful businessman;
"an oil baron"
supply the force or power for the functioning of;
"The gasoline powers the engines"
- A man should rely upon his own power.
- Such things aren't within the compass of my power.
- I intend to release my karma to give power away.
- Not that I don't want to help you, but that it's beyond my power to do so.
- The powers of the police need to be clearly defined.
- So you need to power up your lymph system.
- To power your camera you will need some rechargeable batteries.
- She's gone to some power lunch to discuss the deal.
- The power corrupted him, corroding his mind and poisoning his judgment.
- This country extends its power and influence into neighbouring countries.
- Our country has greatly increased in power and prestige.
- Now I've got him in my power,I can make him do anything I want.
- The natives were unwilling to be bent by colonial power.
- The whole matter boils down to a power struggle between the trade union and the directors.
- The chairman was forced to resign following a boardroom power struggle.
- Success in the peace talks crowned this government's period in power.
- The future of the island is bound up with the fortunes of the ruling power.
- The Progressive Party was returned to power, with an increased majority in the election.
- The President has exceeded his powers.
- The powers of a president are defined in the constitution.
- Many people think that the government exercises too much power over people's ordinary activities.
- The raising of 5000 yuan for the clinic was a task beyond their power.
- She equals him in mental power but not in physical strength.
- He felt as if he had lost his power of judgement.
- It is the power of speech which most clearly differentiates men from the animals.
- She is a woman of great intellectual powers.
- The girls exhibited great powers of endurance in the tug-of-war.
- The relics are credited with miraculous powers.
- So enormous was the hurricane's power that it carried away whole buildings.
- These new electric buses pick up their power from overhead wires.
- With abundant hydro-electric resources there is now power available for new industries.
- The engine is being specially adapted to increase its power.
- They've decided on building a power plant there.
- The power needs of the ship must be ascertained.
- To avoid a power cut, they decided to feed off an alternate generator.
- That country has become a super power.
- The two powers entered into boundary negotiations.
- However weak the nation may be, it will never bend to a greater power.
- How much is the sixth power of nine?
- The amount two to the power of three is written 23, and means 2×2×2.2
- Only certain directors in the company have the power to sign company cheques.
- The police and the army have been given special powers to deal with such a situation.
- They don't hold the power to hire or fire at will.
- The State Council exercises the function and power to appoint and remove administrative personnel according to the provisions of the law.
- My father has lost his powers to work.
- Every normal, healthy person has power to think.
- A car needs a lot of power to go fast.
- Those planes powered down and off the ramp.
- The racing car powered down the home straight.
- Atomic energy powers the submarine.
- All these modern educational aids are powered by electricity.
- Its radar equipment was powered by a nuclear reactor.
- do a power of good
对(某人)大有好处 be very beneficial to sb
do sb a power of good
Her holiday has done her a power of good.
A long cool drink would do us all a power of good!
- the powers that be
当权者,当权派 people who control an organization, a country, etc.
- attain power 获得权力〔政权〕
- break power 削弱势力
- come back into power 重新上台
- come into power 上台,开始执政
- control power 控制权力
- curb sb's power 抑制某人的权力
- define sb's powers 规定某人的权力范围
- destroy power 摧毁势力
- exercise power 运用权力,实施权力,行使权力
- extend power 扩大权限
- fall from power 失去权力
- follow power 顺从权力
- hand power over 把权力转让给…,对…有控制权〔支配权〕
- hold power over sb 对某人有支配权
- lose power 失去权力〔能力、动力〕
- misuse power 滥用权力
- reserve power to 保留…的权力
- return to power 重新执政
- secure power 夺取政权,牢牢掌握权力
- seize power 夺取权力
- supply power for 为…提供能源
- take power 取得权力
- take all power into one's hand 大权独揽
- transfer power 移交权力
- use power 运用权力
- worship power 崇拜权力
- belittle power 低估能力
- create power 产生动力
- develop power 发展能力
- enhance mental power 提高智力
- generate power 产生动力
- increase power 提高能力
- lessen power 减低能力
- strengthen power 加强能力
- underestimate power 低估能力
- weaken power 削弱能力
- cut off power 关上开关
- turn off power 关上开关
- turn on power 启动开关
- raise five to the third power 取五的三次方
- absolute power 绝对权力〔权威〕
- decision-making power 决策权
- executive power 行政权,执行权
- foreign power 外国势力,外国政权
- full power 全部权力
- legislative power 立法权
- political power 政治力量,政权
- bargaining power 讨价还价的能力
- bodily power 体力
- buying power 购买力
- civil power 民力
- creative power 创造力
- earning power 挣钱的能力
- economic power 经济实力
- electric power 电力,电能
- hydroelectric power 水力发电的电能
- imitative power 模仿力
- intellectual power 智力
- magic powers 魔力
- mechanical power 机械力
- mental power 智力,脑力
- national power 国力
- nuclear power 核能,核大国
- solar power 太阳能
- staying power 持久力
- supernatural power 超自然的力量
- vital power 生命力
- great powers 列强
- industrial power 工业强国
- military power 军队
- naval power 海军
- occupying power 占领国
- warring powers 交战国
- emergency power 紧急状态时的权力
- sovereign power 主权
- state power 国家权力
- world powers 世界强国
- animal power 畜力
- brain power 脑力
- fire power 火力
- horse power 马力
- labour power 劳动力
- man power 劳动力
- memory power 记忆力
- third power 三次方
- war power 军事能力
- water power 水力
- wind power 风力
- working power 工作能力
- beyond sb's power 为某人能力所不及
- in power 掌权的
- in one's power 在能力〔权力〕之内
- into power 当权
- balance of power 势力均衡,(国际)均势
- transfer of power 政权过渡
- out of sb's power 超越某人的能力
- sail under its own power 靠自身的动力航行
- within one's power 在能力〔权力〕之内
- power for good 做好事的能力
- power for machine 开动机器的动力
- power in hand 手中的权力
- power of expression 表达能力
- power of office 职权
- power of reading 阅读能力
- power of reasoning 推理能力
- power of thinking 思维能力
- power of thought 思维能力
- power of wind 风力
- power of work 工作能力
- power over 对…的控制权
- power over men 支配人的权力
Is it not in your power to open your eyes?出自： G. Berkeley
The red rays of the spectrum possess a very high heating power.出自： J. Tyndall
Mistrust of science has been strengthened by the latest revelations of its power to harm.出自： R. Hoggart
Material success had extinguished..the power of speculative thought.出自： J. Barzun
The police launch..was powered by two big Perkins engines.出自： A. York
Cold air..sweeps..across the country, powered by the prevailing westerly winds.出自：Nordic Skiing
- power作“权”“权力”“势力”“政权”“功力〔率〕”解是不可数名词; 表示“强国”“幂,乘方”时是可数名词; 表示“能力”时有时可用于复数形式,表示“体力,力量”解时通常用作不可数名词。
she used to have a powder of being late.
She used to have powder to be late.
- 有些表达方式中，power常用复数形式powers，如his powers of mind, his powers of observation, his powers as a novelist, a novelist at the height of his powers等。
- in power, in one's power
- 这两个短语意思不同:in power是“得势”或“上台”的意思,而in one's power作“有权力”或“在权力范围内”解。例如:
- If the renegade clique of that country were in power, it would have meant serious disaster for the people.如果那个国家的叛徒集团一得势,人民就要遭殃。
- It is in our power not to copy everything foreign.我们有权不全部照抄外国的东西。
- power, energy, force, might, strength, vigour
- A car needs a lot of power to go fast.汽车高速行驶需要很大动力。
- Every normal, healthy person has power to think.每一个正常、健康的人都有思维能力。
- He hasn't got enough strength to get out of bed.他没有足够的力气下床。
- At last his strength gave out.他的体力终于不支了。
- He has strength of character.他性格坚强。
- Union is strength.团结就是力量。
- We had to use force to get into the house.我们不得不强行进屋。
- Some of them forced their way into our office.他们中有些人强行进入我们的办公室。
- His arguments forced them to admit he was right.他的论据迫使他们承认他是对的。
- The thief forced her to hand over the money.贼强迫她把钱交出来。
- The army fought bravely, but it was crushed by the might of its powerful enemy.军队勇敢地战斗,但最终还是被敌人强大的势力所摧垮。
- They would have little chance to survive against our might.在我们的强大力量面前,他们几乎无法继续生存下去。
- The work was so difficult that it was beyond my might.这项工作太难了,它超出了我的能力。
- The competition is strong and we must study with all our might.竞争是强有力的,我们须尽全力地学习。
- He is full of vigour.他充满了活力。
- power指身体上、精神上或心理上的力量, 不管是表现出来的还是潜在的。
- strength指内部固有的力量，表示物质力量时，着重体格或构造健全、完善等方面的力量, 如体力强度等；表示精神力量时, 指持久、坚定、无畏、坚韧等。
误 They are great power in the country.
正 They are great powers in the country.
误 The new government will come into the power next month.
正 The new government will come into power next month.
析 表示“开始执政”应该说come into power, power前没有定冠词。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自盎格鲁法语的pouair；最初源自拉丁语的potis，意为强有力的。
- powerless adj. 无权力的；无力量的;对某事无能为力的‖powerlessly adv. 无权力地；无力量地‖powerlessness n. 无力；无能为力