- =International Association of Poets, Playwrights, Editors, Essayists and Novelists 国际笔会
- [C]笔,钢笔 an instrument for writing or drawing with ink
- [S]写作 writing, especially as a profession
- [C]圈；围栏；畜栏 a small piece of land surrounded by a fence in which farm animals are kept
- vt. 用钢笔写 write with pen
- vt. 把…关入栏中 shut sb/sth in or as if in a pen
a writing implement with a point from which ink flows
an enclosure for confining livestock
a portable enclosure in which babies may be left to play
a correctional institution for those convicted of major crimes
produce a literary work;
"She composed a poem"
"He wrote four novels"
- The pen slips out of my fingers.
- Put down my pen and stop fiddling!
- He dipped his pen in the ink.
- She fumbled about in her handbag for a pen.
- The duke wrote a letter with a quill pen.
- He lives by his pen.
- The safest is the infantile bed that holds good pen.
- Look at how beautiful the pen is floating on the lake!
- She penned a few words of thanks.
- You may deposit your pen in the bag.
- I am sorry.I've broken your pen.
- George is clever with his pen.
- It is a bad mode of holding a pen.
- He lives by his pen.
- The pen is mightier than the sword.
- It was a translation from the pen of some obscure American writer.
- Pen it before you forget it.
- He penned a fair copy of the composition.
- Let's pen a notice of next Friday's meeting.
- Shepherds penned their flocks.
- She feels penned by her life as a housewife.
- I penned a few words to father today.
- He penned a note to Henry, asking him to entertain his guests.
- Please do not mind my penning these opinions to you.
- pen up (v.+adv.)
把…局限在…之内 make sb/sth limited in sth
pen sb/sth ⇔ up
The shepherd has penned up the sheep in the five acre field.
I wonder why he has penned the pigs up.
I'm tired of being penned up in the office all day.
- dip pen in ink 用笔蘸墨水
- draw pen against 笔伐…
- drive pen 书写
- fling one's pen down 扔下笔
- handle pen 握笔
- hold pen 握笔
- lay〔put〕 down pen 把笔放下
- put pen to paper 动笔写,下笔
- set pen to paper 动笔写,下笔
- take pen in hand 执笔在手
- take up pen 拿起笔
- try penin 在…方面试写
- eloquent pen 雄辩的文笔
- powerful pen 强有力的文笔
- ruling pen (制图用的)直线笔，鸭嘴笔
- sharp pen 锋利的笔
- the best pen 最优秀的作家
- the famous pen 名作家
- pen the flocks 把羊群关入栏中
Across the empty pens, the wet, rusty rails of the cattle market.出自： J. T. Story
Quinn did all his writing with a pen, using a typewriter only for final drafts.出自： P. Auster
They had somehow penned me into a corner.出自： P. H. Johnson
Edmund Spenser penned the immortal line.出自： A. Briggs
The astonishing document was penned by Alexander, alone at his desk.出自： P. Ustinov
- pen用作可数名词的基本意思是“笔”,泛指一种书写工具,多指钢笔,尤指用墨水写的笔。也可指“笔杆”“笔尖”,引申还可指“写作”“笔调”“笔法”,尤指“职业性的写作”。the pen有时可指“作品”或“作家”。
- pen前加介词in或with指具体的书写工具, pen前加介词by指抽象的书写方式、方法。
- pen, jot, write
- 这组词都有“写”的意思。其区别在于： pen指“用钢笔写”,暗含“用心写”的意味; jot指匆匆写下,用什么笔写并不限制,其后常接down; write的含义最广泛,是日常用语,与前两个词相比,显得更大方、庄重,多指“写信”。例如:
- He jotted her address down on his newspaper.他在报纸上草草记下了她的地址。
- The children are learning to write.孩子们正在学写字。
- pen, cage, coop, enclose, envelop, fence, wall
- fence主要指用栅栏拦开或围起来; cage指关在笼子里,有侮辱意味; coop指被关进笼子般的狭小地方,也指受到更加严格的限制; enclose指设置界限或屏障把某人或某物围在其中,也指把某物装进密封的容器; envelop强调把某物体完全包起来或整个封起来; pen指监禁在狭窄的地方或施加令人不快的限制; wall指筑墙围住或关入围有墙壁的地方。例如:
- After the tiger was caught, it was caged.老虎被捉住后关进了笼子。
- He was cooped up in a tiny room.他被关进小房间。
- The little park was enclosed on all sides by tall apartment building.那个小公园的四周被高高的住宅楼围起来了。
- Smoke from the burning room enveloped the whole building.着火了的那个房间冒出的烟遮蔽了整座大楼。
- The shepherd has penned up the sheep in the two acre field.牧羊人把羊群围在那块两英亩的土地上。
- We are going to wall the garden.我们要用围墙把花园围起来。
误 He wrote the composition with a pen and ink.
正 He wrote the composition with pen and ink.
析 with a pen表示“用钢笔写”,但当pen和ink连在一起用时,就变成一个统一的概念, a应该去掉。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的pene，意为羽毛笔；最初源自拉丁语的penna，意为羽毛。