- vt. 包；折叠；交叉；拥抱
- vi. 翻倍；屈服；倒闭
- n. 折层；折痕
- 抱住， 拥抱，搂住
- 对折起来，交叠，摺叠， 对摺，折小，叠平
- vt. & vi. 折叠; 对折交叠 turn or press back one part of and lay on the remaining part; bend into two or more parts
- vt. 包围,包起,笼罩 enclose; wrap; cover
an angular or rounded shape made by folding;
"a fold in the napkin"
"a crease in his trousers"
"a plication on her blouse"
"a flexure of the colon"
"a bend of his elbow"
a group of people who adhere to a common faith and habitually attend a given church
a geological process that causes a bend in a stratum of rock
a group of sheep or goats
a folded part (as in skin or muscle)
a pen for sheep
the act of folding;
"he gave the napkins a double fold"
bend or lay so that one part covers the other;
"fold up the newspaper"
"turn up your collar"
incorporate a food ingredient into a mixture by repeatedly turning it over without stirring or beating;
"Fold the egg whites into the batter"
cease to operate or cause to cease operating;
"The owners decided to move and to close the factory"
"My business closes every night at 8 P.M."
"close up the shop"
confine in a fold, like sheep
become folded or folded up;
"The bed folds in a jiffy"
- Dark clouds folded the hills.
- I folded the handkerchief and put it in my pocket.
- The paper should be folded in half.
- The border guard folded his arms across his chest and glared the front.
- if a business folds, it closes because it is not able to make enough money.
- Does this table fold?
- Paper folds more easily than cardboard.
- The cloth doesn't fold well.
- A fan folds.
- This garden chair folds flat.
- I folded the letter and then put it into the envelope.
- The boy folded his dresses and put them away .
- Fold the napkins and put one by each plate.
- They are folding printed sheets for binding.
- The eagle folded its wings.
- Dark clouds folded the hills.
- The quilts and the blankets were neatly folded.
- The paper must be folded in half.
- He was sitting with his arms folded.
- He found some seeds folded in a little piece of paper.
- fold away (v.+adv.)
折叠起来挪开 be able to be bent for storage
fold sth ⇔ away
These doors are made in pieces that can be folded away against the wall.
This bed can be easily folded away.
- fold back (v.+adv.)
对叠起来 bend back; double back
fold sth ⇔ back
He folded back the page so he could remember the place.
- fold in1 (v.+adv.)
(烹调)把…加进去搅拌 add sth to sth and mix them
fold sth ⇔ in
It'll taste even better if you fold in some eggs.
Fold in two eggs and then cook gently for thirty minutes.
Fold in the beaten whites of two eggs.
- fold in2 (v.+prep.)
- fold up (v.+adv.)
(把…)折叠起来 bend so as to take a smaller space
The pain in her stomach was so sharp that she folded up.
In economic crisis, smaller enterprises are usually among the first to fold up.
She had known too many businesses folded up through bad management.
The business finally folded up last week.
The new restaurant folded up in less than a year.
The team folded up in the last part of the season.
He sat down on the chair, but it suddenly folded up under him.
The moment the clown appeared on stage, the audience folded up.
小丑一出现在舞台上,观众们个个笑得前仰后合。fold sth ⇔ up
Please fold up all the table-cloth and put them into the store-room.
He folded up his umbrella as he entered the room.
She folded up some shirts.
- fold a length of cloth 把一段布叠好
- fold a letter 把信叠起来
- fold a newspaper 把报纸叠好
- fold a tent 把帐篷叠好
- fold one's arms about sb's neck 抱着某人的头颈
- fold neatly 折叠整齐
- fold placidly 慢慢地搅拌
- fold tenderly 慈爱地抱着
- fold tensely 紧紧地抱住
- fold threateningly 即将倒闭
- fold unconsciously 心不在焉地搅拌
- fold voluminously 大部分倒闭
- fold wearily 支持不住
- fold back (使)向后折
- fold down 把(某物的)一部分或一半翻下或折起来
- fold down the corner of a page 把书页的角折叠起来
The thick woollen stockings..would not stay up but hung in folds round her ankles.出自： A. Gray
Her crooked fingers worked amongst the folds of her silken skirt.出自： G. Heyer
The effect was found to be several fold greater than of steam from the same quantity of fuel.出自： N. Arnott
He envies those who have learned, / when reading newspapers, / how to fold them.出自： W. H. Auden
There was the distant sound of folded sheep.出自： I. Murdoch
- fold用作及物动词时,接名词或代词作宾语,可用于被动结构; 也可接副词away, up或介词in, around, into 等短语作宾语补足语, fold也可用作不及物动词,这时主动形式常含有被动意义。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的faldan，意为折叠衣物。