(sport) the mistake of occupying an illegal position on the playing field (in football, soccer, ice hockey, field hockey, etc.)
illegally beyond a prescribed line or area or ahead of the ball or puck;
"the touchdown was nullified because the left tackle was offside"
illegally in advance of the ball or puck
- This attenuates the offside signal.
- Fulham were left complaining vociferously about an offside flag that never came.
- The reason for this drill is to get the ball on your offside from the nearside.
- He was ruled offside by the referee.
- When the decisive goal is waived offside by another incorrect lines-blind.
- As soon as you hit the ball, you cross to the offside.