- [C]地方法官,治安官 an official who judges cases in the lowest courts of law
a lay judge or civil authority who administers the law (especially one who conducts a court dealing with minor offenses)
- The thief was brought before the magistrate.
- The magistrate remanded him in custody for two weeks.
- The President is the chief magistrate of the United States.
- The traffic magistrate heard the man's explanation for getting a parking ticket.
- The man came up before the magistrate on a charge of theft.
The king was too eminent a magistrate to be trusted with discretionary powers.出自： D. Hume