- v. 持续；维持
- adj. 最近的；上一个的；末尾的；最后的
- adv. 最后；最近一次
- n. 最后来的人（或发生的事）；鞋楦(做鞋的模型)
- vi. 延续;继续;持久 go on;continue
- vi. 耐用;经久 remain of use, in good condition, or unweakened
- vt. 够…用,经受住 continue to be good or alive beyond the end of;endure
- [A]最后的,末尾的 coming after all others in time or order
- [A]最近的;刚过去的,上一个的 latest;most recent
- [A]唯一剩下的;最终的 only remaining
- [A]最不可能的,最不合适的 least likely or suitable
- [C]最后的〔最后提到的〕人〔物〕;最近的信 person or thing that is last or mentioned last
- 上一次,最近一次 on the occasion nearest in the past;most recently
- 最后 lastly
the temporal end; the concluding time;
"the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"
"the market was up at the finish"
"they were playing better at the close of the season"
the last or lowest in an ordering or series;
"he was the last to leave"
"he finished an inglorious last"
a person's dying act; the final thing a person can do;
"he breathed his last"
the time at which life ends; continuing until dead;
"she stayed until his death"
"a struggle to the last"
a unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds
a unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels
the concluding parts of an event or occurrence;
"the end was exciting"
"I had to miss the last of the movie"
holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes
"the last chapter we read"
coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining;
"the last time I saw Paris"
"the last day of the month"
"had the last word"
"waited until the last minute"
"he raised his voice in a last supreme call"
"the last game of the season"
"down to his last nickel"
occurring at or forming an end or termination;
"his concluding words came as a surprise"
"the final chapter"
"the last days of the dinosaurs"
most unlikely or unsuitable;
"the last person we would have suspected"
"the last man they would have chosen for the job"
occurring at the time of death;
"his last words"
"the last rites"
conclusive in a process or progression;
"the final answer"
"a last resort"
"the net result"
highest in extent or degree;
"to the last measure of human endurance"
"whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually"
not to be altered or undone;
"the judge's decision is final"
"the arbiter will have the last say"
lowest in rank or importance;
"in last place"
"I saw him last in London"
the item at the end;
"last, I'll discuss family values"
persist for a specified period of time;
"The bad weather lasted for three days"
continue to live through hardship or adversity;
"We went without water and food for 3 days"
"These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"
"The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"
"how long can a person last without food and water?"
- The hot weather lasted until September.
- The wind is changing round, so the storm won't last long.
- Economically, one tin of oil will last at least three months.
- I thought her last book was one of her best.
- I dreamt about flying last night.
- Why didn't you catch the last bus as I told you to?
- For most teachers, punishment is the last resort.
- He came last in the race.
- last for (v.+prep.)
持续,维持 go on, remain
last for sth
The performance lasted for three hours.
Those shoes didn't last for a month, and I'm going to take them back to the shop.
- last from (v.+prep.)
从…继续〔维持〕 continue from;endure from
last from sth to〔till〕 sth
The campaign lasted from June to October.
The demonstration lasted from dawn till dusk.
- last out (v.+adv.)
I think the car will just last out till we get to London.
Will the water supply last out through the summer?
储水量够整个夏天用吗?last out sth
The patient lasted out the attack of the disease.
Occasional food packages enabled him to last out the famine.
I don't think the old man can last out the winter.
He's very ill, and probably won't last out the night.
- at one's last gasp
垂死挣扎,最后的拼搏making one's final effort or attempt before exhaustion or death
- have the last word
最终决定,最后裁决make the final and decisive contribution to an argument, a dispute
- in the 〔one's〕 last resort
最后的手段,最后的凭借when everything else has failed
- the last lap
最后阶段final state of sth
- the last minute〔moment〕
最后一刻the latest possible time before an important event
- the last word
最新,最时髦most recent, fashionable
- at (long) last
终于in the end
- hear〔see〕 the last of
不必再与某人打交道;不必再考虑某人〔某物〕not have to deal with or think about sb/sth again
- to〔till〕 the last
坚持到底,直到最后一刻consistently, until the last possible moment
- last forever 永存
- last long 持续很久
- last briefly 简短地维持
- last interminably 没完没了地持续
- last unconsciously 无意识地维持
- last unreasonably 不合理地持续
- last out 坚持,经得起,活(一段时间)
- last about an hour 持续约一小时
- last for a couple of months (食物)够吃两个月
- last for an hour 持续一小时
- last for ten days 持续十天
- last from autumn to spring 从秋季持续到春季
- last from dawn till dark 从黎明一直持续到天黑
- last from one to three (会议)从一点开到三点
- last into September 持续到九月里
- last through the race 持续跑到终点
- last through the winter 持续整整一冬
- last throughout the year 持续整整一年
- last till the end of the month 持续到本月底
- last until September 持续到九月
- the last chapter 最后一章
- the last hope 最后的希望
- the last hour 最后时刻
- the last importance 极端重要
- the last prize 末等奖
- the last thing 最不可能的事
- drink up the last of wine 喝光最后一滴酒
We must have had a lot of wine because our lunch lasted long after everybody left.出自： L. Hellman
A short sharp war, which would last perhaps six months.出自： H. Bailey
Paul comes out last carrying an accordion.出自： E. O
- lastly adv. (列举时)最后；最后一点‖lasting adj. 持久的；恒久的