- n. 手；协助；手艺
- v. 给；传
- n. 汉德（英文姓）
- [C]手 either of the movable parts at the end of a person's arm, including the fingers
- [C](钟表等的)指针 a pointer or needle on a clock, machine, or measuring instrument
- [C]人手,员工 a worker
- [S]帮助,援助 help
- [C]字迹,书法 handwriting
- [C]有手艺〔技能〕的人 sb with skill, knowledge, or experience of the stated kind
- [S]鼓掌,拍手 encouragement given by clapping the hands; a burst of applause
- [C]掌握,控制 control, power, or responsibility
- vt. 递,交付 give or transfer sth with one's hand or hands
- vt. 传给 give or leave to people who are younger or live after
the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb;
"he had the hands of a surgeon"
"he extended his mitt"
a hired laborer on a farm or ranch;
"the hired hand fixed the railing"
"a ranch hand"
something written by hand;
"she recognized his handwriting"
"his hand was illegible"
"he wanted to try his hand at singing"
a position given by its location to the side of an object;
"objections were voiced on every hand"
the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time;
"I didn't hold a good hand all evening"
"he kept trying to see my hand"
one of two sides of an issue;
"on the one hand..., but on the other hand..."
a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece;
"the big hand counts the minutes"
a unit of length equal to 4 inches; used in measuring horses;
"the horse stood 20 hands"
a member of the crew of a ship;
"all hands on deck"
a card player in a game of bridge;
"we need a 4th hand for bridge"
a round of applause to signify approval;
"give the little lady a great big hand"
terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos);
"the kangaroo's forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting"
"give me a hand with the chores"
place into the hands or custody of;
"hand me the spoon, please"
"Turn the files over to me, please"
"He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
guide or conduct or usher somewhere;
"hand the elderly lady into the taxi"
- It was written by hand.
- He has a book in one hand, and a pen in the other.
- Do you want a hand?
- He's always willing to give a hand to anyone who asks.
- He has a light hand with pastry.
- Please hand me that book.
- She helped to hand round the dishes.
- Most of my clothes were handed down to me by my older brother.
- My left hand brushed the wall and found the doorknob.
- She put her hand on his shoulder and then drew it away.
- Her trembling hands betrayed her nervousness to him.
- They bound the boy's hands.
- When the Madam was carried away with the music of the opera, a thief's hand was getting at her jewellery.
- When the pilot reached hospital, it was found that tissue had been burnt away from his face and hands.
- We elected the captain of our football team by a show of hands.
- God has equipped man with two hands, which play an important role in his work.
- His hot pancakes are delicious, you buy them straight from the kitchen to eat in your hands.
- The dish was made of silver, beaten out by hand.
- He balanced the two rocks in his hands.
- The robber bore down on the old woman with a knife in his hand.
- He is generally acknowledged to have the finest collection of Dutch paintings in private hands.
- In his sleep he let the book fall out of his hand.
- The hour hand is smaller than the minute hand.
- The two hands on my watch are broken.
- She was at his right hand.
- We are short of hands.
- Our hands are on strike.
- Their factory has taken on 150 extra hands.
- You can hardly fancy what a capital hand she is at embroidery.
- The artist's work showed a master's hand.
- I'm a bad hand at making cakes.
- He is a poor hand at figures.
- I'm not much of a hand at painting.
- He writes a good hand.
- You had better practise your hand.
- He glanced at the envelope and recognized Eade's hand.
- Does your hand slope forward or backward?
- Apply in your own hand.
- Please excuse my bad hand.
- He helps poor people with a free hand.
- Do you think you can do with a helping hand?
- She did the work with a heavy hand.
- The new leader carried out reforms with a bold hand.
- He is a good hand with a gun.
- The hand gradually faded.
- The army went forth amid great cheering and hand.
- The comedian's joke elicited hand and laughter from the audience.
- It was given out that the strikers had decided to return to work, and place their dispute in the hands of their union.
- You're allowed a small case as hand luggage.
- A doctor and a nurse are handing my father from the ambulance.
- She handed me the timetable.
- Hand me that book, please.
- She handed him the list of names.
- Hand me the tools, please.
- With the words he handed Professor Wang a tube.
- As soon as I came out he handed me a bottle of salted water.
- Hand me two eggs.
- He handed each of them a shilling.
- It handed them a laugh.
- We were handed tickets at the entrance.
- Please hand my book to me.
- He handed the papers to the headmaster.
- He handed a letter to me when I went into the room.
- He penciled the number on a card and handed it to me.
- It was handed to me yesterday.
- He hands the old granny upstairs and downstairs every day.
- He handed the business over to me.
- a willing hand
对工作不挑剔的人 a man who expresses satisfaction
- an iron hand
铁腕人物 a man who controls the country
- ask for a (lady's) hand
向女人求婚 ask for sb as wife
- at hand
在手边,在附近,即将来临 near in time or place
- at first hand
直接地,第一手地 by direct personal experience, or that another person
- at second hand
- bind hand and foot
捆住手脚,使受束缚 bind both the hands and feet of sb; make sb unable to do anything
bind sb hand and foot
Such a slogan will bind us hand and foot.
If he signs that paper, he will be bound hand and foot.
- bring up by hand
用奶瓶喂大 feed an animal that has no mother so that it can live and grow
bring sb ⇔ up by hand
The lamb had to be brought up by hand.
- by hand
用手;亲自 using one's hand; in person
- change hands
转手 go from the possession of one person to that of another
- come to hand
到手; 收到 be received or obtained
- deal with from a weak hand
做得不得力 not do well on sth
deal with sth from a weak hand
Although he apparently has Moscow's back,Kenya is dealing with it from a very weak hand.
- dirty one's hands
败坏自己的人格 lower or hurt one's character or good name
- don't know what to do with one's hands
手足无措 be seized with panic
- eat out of one's hand
〈非正〉服服帖帖; 不给人惹麻烦 believe or obey sb without question; give sb no trouble
- fight hand to hand
短兵相接,打肉搏战 fight with enemies very near
- fling up one's hands
失去一切希望 lose all hopes
- fold one's hands
双臂在胸前合抱 bring one's arms together and cross them over one's chest
- force sb's hand
迫使(某人)做不愿做的事 force sb to do what he dislikes to
- get the upper hand (of)
压倒,制服 get control of power over sb/sth difficult
- give sb a free hand
让某人放手干 allow sb to do things in his or her own way
- give one's hand to
- grab sb's hand
抓住某人的手 catch sb by the hand
- grasp sb's hands
握着某人的手 shake sb's hands
- hand in glove
亲密地 very close or friendly
- hand in hand
手拉手; 密切合作 closely connected; accompanying each other
- hand over fist
大量而快速地 of making or losing money in great quantity and at great speed
- have a hand in
参与,有关系 join in; have a relation with sth
- have one's hands full
非常忙 be fully occupied; be very busy
- have the game in one's hands
有必胜的把握 be sure of success
- hold one's hand
不忍心 be not hardhearted
- hold sb's hand
帮助某人 help sb
- in hand
在手中,有关系 having a connection
- in one's own hands
在某人自己手中 control sth oneself
- join hands with
与…携手合作; 显示出与…的友谊 make a show of friendship with sb such as another nation
- lay one's hands on
动手打人 hit sb by hand
- lend a hand
〈口〉帮助,援助 help; assist
lend a hand
If we all lend a hand, it shouldn't take us long to get the job done.
All the packing has to be done; perhaps you'll lend a hand?
Lend a hand in carrying these chairs indoors, please.
They all lend a hand, and between them the thing is done.
We mustn't stand idly by without lending a hand.
我们不能袖手旁观,一点忙都不帮。lend sb a hand
Lend me a hand to shift this piano, will you?
Could you lend me a hand with these parcels?
He lent me a hand with the heavy boxes.
It will take me hours to check all these figures; I wish somebody would lend me a hand with them.
We got through the job sooner than we had expected, as we were lent a hand by a couple of boy scouts.
- live from hand to mouth
挣一点吃一点; 仅够糊口 live without saving for the future; have just enough
- many hands make light work
人多好办事 many people do thing that everyone is light
- on every hand
从各个方面 on all hand
- on hand
在手边,在附近; 在场 near in time or place; at present
- on the other hand
另一方面 as one point in the argument
- out of hand
终于 in the end
- out of sb's hand
不再由某人负责掌握 sb doesn't charge again
- play into sb's hands
助人损己; 给人可乘之机 do sth which gives one's opponents an advantage; be or do sth that another person can use against you; help an opponent against yourself
- play one's hand
- poke one's hand
伸手 dig one's hand into
- press sb's hand
握手shake hands with sb
- put one's hand to
着手做; 开始做 start working at; try to do
- raise a/one's hand to
体罚,打人be physically threaten
- raise one's hand
举手 lift hand
- reach one's hand across
把手伸过… stretch out a hand across sth
- reach out a/one's hand
伸出手 stretch forward a hand
- remove one's hand from
把手从…拿开 take hand away from sth
- request sb's hand in marriage
向某人求婚ask for a lady's hand
- rest on one of one's hands
支撑在一只手上 lean on one of one's hands; be supported by one of one's hands
- rub one's hands
搓手 move one hand backwards and forwards on the other hand
- rule with a firm hand
用铁的手腕来统治或管理 govern sth such as a group in a very severe way
- set one's own hand to
亲手处理 do sth oneself
- shake hands with
和…握手 grasp sb's hands
- sit on one's hands
拒绝工作 refuse to work
- take in hand
把…管起来 put sb/sth under control
take sb/sth in hand
When the Export Department began to fail,Mr. Smith took it in hand and made a success of it.
- try one's hand at
试图去做 try to do sth
- turn one's hand to
着手做; 开始做 start working at; try to do
- wait on sb's hand and foot
伺候(某人) serve sb
- wash one's hands of
退出,不过问 withdraw from or refuse to be responsible for
- win hands down
轻易地获得 win easily
- hand back (v.+adv.)
交还 return; give back
hand sth ⇔ back
Hand it back when through.
Please remember to hand back your room key before leaving the hotel.
The ticket was handed back to the passenger.
Examination papers will be handed back after the marks have been officially recorded.
- hand down (v.+adv.)
正式宣布,正式宣判 deliver; pronounce formally
hand sth ⇔ down
Please hand down the large dish from the top shelf.
请把那只大盘子从架子顶层递下来。hand sth ⇔ down
That folk song has been handed down through generations.
These customs have been handed down through the ages.
It has been handed down by generations of peasants.
This necklace has been handed down in my family.
He passed on to us all the skill that had been handed down in his family.
他把他家传的技术全部教给了我们。hand ⇔ sth down to sb/sth
Our fathers handed down these customs to us.
Our ancestors have handed a rich national culture down to us.
我们的祖先给我们留下了丰富多彩的民族文化。hand sb down to sth
They handed Grandma Li down to the ground floor.
他们搀扶李奶奶下楼到底层去。hand sth ⇔ down
The judge handed his decision down at noon.
- hand in (v.+adv.)
把…扶上车 assist to get up with the hand aboard a car
- hand it to (v.+pron.+prep.)
敬佩 respect sb
- hand off (v.+adv.)
用手推开某人 push sb away with the hand
hand sb ⇔ off
The player caught the ball and ran down the field, handing off any player from the other team who tried to stop him.
- hand on (v.+adv.)
传下来,传给下一代 hand down; pass down
hand sth ⇔ on to sb
Hand it on to others after you have read it.
Hand it on to each of your classmates when through.
In the early days, news was handed on from one person to another.
很早的时候,消息是靠逐人传递的。hand sth ⇔ on
The estate is handed on from generation to generation.
This ring was handed on from my great-grandmother.
- hand out (v.+adv.)
hand sb out of sth
As the lady stepped down from the carriage, the gentleman politely handed her out of the car.
当这位女士下车时,那男士有礼貌地把她扶下车。hand sth ⇔ out
The teacher is handing out the first paper—Chemistry.
The teacher was handing the examination-papers out when a telephone call was for her.
She helps hand out the pamphlets in the street.
They handed out leaflets in the streets.
Text and worksheets are handed out, and students are asked to read the questions given before reading the article.
读文章以前把课文和作业纸发给了学生,并要求他们读所给的问题。hand sth ⇔ out to sb
The teacher handed the new books out to his students.
We shall hand out these written statements to the reporters.
我们将把这些书面声明发给记者。hand sth ⇔ out to sb
Mrs. White likes to hand out advice to the young people, whether they want it or not.
The police handed out punishment to those who stole bicycles.
对于偷窃自行车的人,警方给予惩罚。hand sth ⇔ out
He handed out the goods and his children took them away.
I'll stay by the car and hand the boxes out to you, so that you can carry them into the house.
The besieged garrison managed to hand out for ten days, after which their supplies became exhausted.
This is your friend John, is it?And where does he hand out?
- hand over (v.+adv.)
让予,移交 give control or possession of; give sth to another person; transfer power, control, responsibility. etc.
- hand round〔around〕 (v.+adv.)
把…递给; 分发给众人 distribute among a gathering
- hand up (v.+adv.)
上交,呈交 deliver up
hand sth ⇔ up
Hand the paintbrush up to Father on the ladder.
父亲在梯子上,把油漆刷子递给他。hand sb ⇔ up
I shall need you to hand me up on this difficult slope.
我需你扶我上这个陡坡。hand sth ⇔ up
He handed up the indictment to the supreme court.
Your request will be handed up to the board of directors.
- accept sb's hand 接受某人的求婚
- ask for a lady's hand 向某个女人求婚
- bear a hand in 在…中出一把力
- bind hand and foot 捆住手脚
- bite the hand that feeds one 恩将仇报
- burn one's hand 烧伤手
- change hands 易手
- check one's hand 拒绝做某事
- clap one's hand 拍手
- come to hand 到手,收到
- cup one's hand 拱着手掌
- cut one's hand 割破手
- decline sb's hand 拒绝某人的求婚
- deliver by hand 专人递送
- dig one's hand into 把手伸入…
- fall into sb's hands 落入某人之手
- force sb's hand 迫使某人,强迫某人
- gain a lady's hand 求得某女士同意结婚
- get a big hand 大受欢迎
- get one's hand 使自己熟悉技能
- get sth off one's hands 摆脱某事物,卸掉对某事的责任
- have a hand 很会…
- have an open hand 慷慨大方,大手大脚
- have one's hands free 没有事情可做,空着手
- have one's hands full 手头工作很忙
- hold one's hands 迟迟不下手,观望
- join hands 手拉手
- kiss one's hand to 向…飞吻
- lay one's hands on 得到,抓到,对…动武
- lend a hand 帮助,帮忙
- lift a hand 动手,帮忙
- offer one's hand 伸出手
- oil sb's hand 贿赂某人
- put one's hand to 承担…,着手做…
- raise one's hand against sb 打某人,威胁某人
- reach one's hand out for sth 伸手拿某物
- set one's hand on 着手干…
- set one's hand to 着手干…
- shake hands with sb 同某人握手
- show one's hand 摊牌,表明自己的真正意图
- stay one's hand 住手,不做某事
- strengthen sb's hands 使某人采取极有力的行动
- take a hand in 参与
- throw in one's hand 放弃,退出(竞争)
- throw up one's hands 绝望
- tie sb's hands 使某人无能为力
- try one's hand at sth 尝试一下,试试身手
- turn one's hand to sth 承担某事,着手做某事
- wash one's hand 解手,洗手
- wash one's hand of sth 洗手不干某事,不再做某事
- wave one's hand at〔to〕 sb 向某人挥手示意
- win a lady's hand 求得某女士同意结婚
- write a good hand 写得一手好字
- employ hands 雇工
- hire hands 雇工
- give sb a hand 帮助某人
- brown hands 晒黑的手
- gentle hands 温柔的手
- large hands 宽大的手
- strong hands 粗大有力的手
- thin hands 纤细的手
- weak hands 软弱无力的手
- good hand 字写得好
- small hand 一般书写体
- first hand 第一手的,直接的
- second hand 第二手的,间接的,用过的,旧的
- good hand at 善于…的人
- green hand 生手
- new hand 新手
- old hand 老手,技术熟练的人
- poor hand at 不善…的人
- white hands 不从事劳动的人
- at the hands of doctors 医生给予的
- by hand 手工
- hold sb by the hand 握住某人的手
- lead sb by the hand 拉着某人的手领路
- pull sb by the hand 拉着某人的手
- take sb by the hand 抓住某人的手
- from hand to mouth 仅够糊口地
- hand in hand 手拉手,共同地
- in one's hand 在手里
- take the business in hand 承担这件事
- a pair of hands 一双手
- off hand 立即,当下
- on hand 手头
- under sb's hand 由某人签署的,在某人保管之下
- with a heavy hand 粗手粗脚地,严厉地,高压地
- with clean hand 廉洁地
- strike sb with one's hand 用手打某人
- with one's own hand 由某人亲自
- hand bewilderingly 使人迷惑地传递
- hand cautiously 小心地交出
- hand confidentially 秘密地传递
- hand conscientiously 诚心诚意地给
- hand constantly 连续地传递
- hand cordially 真心诚意地交出
- hand delicately 灵敏地传递
- hand dexterously 熟练地传递
- hand discreetly 谨慎地给
- hand earnestly 诚挚地交出
- hand erroneously 错误地传递
- hand felicitously 恰当地传递
- hand generously 大度地交出
- hand methodically 有条理地传递
- hand immediately 立刻交出
- hand impressively 令人难忘地传递
- hand incompetently 不适当地交出
- hand intelligently 明智地交出
- hand intentionally 故意地给
- hand passively 被动地交出
- hand selectively 有选择地传递
- hand systematically 有条理地传递
- hand unanimously 一致交出
- hand unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地交出
- hand back 把(某物)交还给某人,使某人重新获得
- hand back the government to the people 把政权还给人民
- hand down 把(某物)传递给下面的人,提出或公开声明
- hand down a decision 公布一项决定
- hand in 把(某人)扶上车,把(某物)递交给负责人,提交
- hand off 用手推开对手
- hand on 把(某物)传递给某人,给他人传递(消息),把…移交他人
- hand out 分发,散发,免费提供
- hand out copies 分发文本
- hand over 把…移交他人
- hand round 把…递给,分发给众人
- hand round the letter 把那封信给大家传阅
- hand up 把…递上去,把…提交给上司
She started to count off the fingers of her left hand.出自： V. S. Naipaul
The hand he gave to Jeremy was disagreeably sweaty.出自： Aldous Huxley
His hands palm-upwards on its grained surface.出自： M. Amis
If you can command these elements to silence,..we will not hand a rope more.出自：Tempest , Shakespeare
- hand用在“with+ adj. ”短语后,往往可将具体意义转化为抽象意义。
- 表示“与某人握手”时,用shake hands with sb,此时hand用复数。
at hand，by hand，in hand，on hand，to hand，at one's hands，in one's hands同(up)on one's hands几种表达方式的比较：at hand一般表示“近在手边”，但在美国的商业信件中表示“收到”。 by hand表示“用手”，如made by hand表示“手工做成的”。in hand表示“在所有中的，进行中的或控制中的”，在英国的商业信件中表示“收到”。on hand在英美两国都表示“在所有中的或有待处理的”，在美国还可表示“在场的”。at one's hands表示“受某人的的动作的影响地”，in one's hands表示“受某人的管理，保存或控制的”。(up)on one's hands表示“受某人的照顾或处理”。
The holidays are at hand.
Your letter is at hand.
Jack has only a little money in hand.
Your letter is to hand.
Jack has only a little money on hand.
There was a foreigner on hand at the time of the accident.
She received something at his hands.
The child is in my hands.
I have a family (up)on my hands.
He handed me his book.
I have pleasure in handing you the enclosed cheque.
- give/lend sb a hand表示“帮助某人”，而with one's hand表示“亲手……”。
- at hand, by hand, in hand, on hand, to hand
- 1.by hand表示“用手”“亲自”。例如:
- Are your socks knitted by hand or machine-made?你的袜子是手工织的还是机器织的?
- 2.to hand为商业信札里的用语,表示“(信)已收到”。例如:
- Yours to hand.来函收悉。
- Your letter is to hand.来函收悉。
- 3.in hand多用于引申义,可表示“(局势)在控制中”“(工作)在进行中”,也可表示“(钱、物、时间)在手中”,即可供使用。例如:
- The situation is now in hand.局势现在控制住了。
- The printers say that Tom's book is now in hand and will be ready by the beginning of next month.印刷厂说,汤姆的书目前正在印刷,下月初可以印完。
- 4.at hand可用于空间指“在手边”“在附近”,也可用于时间指“即将来临”,多与系动词be的一般时态连用。例如:
- I couldn't look up the spelling of the word, as I hadn't a dictionary at hand.我没法查这个词的拼写,因为我手边没有词典。
- He lives close at hand.他住在近处。
- The great day is at hand.这个伟大的日子就要到来。
- 5.on hand可用于空间指“在手边”“在附近”,也可用于时间指“即将来临”,须用于将来时, on hand可引申表示“出席”“在场”。例如:
- I always like to keep a certain amount of money on hand, in case of an emergency.我总喜欢手边留一定量的钱,以备不时之需。
- at sb's hands, in sb's hands, on sb's hands
- 1.at sb's hands表示“受折磨”。例如:
- The captive suffered much harsh treatment at his jailers hands.那个犯人受到狱卒许多残酷的折磨。
- I did not expect such unkind treatment at your hands.我没料到你会如此无情。
- 2.in sb's hands表示“在某人手中”“由某人处理”。例如:
- The documents are in my solicitor's hands.文件由我的律师保管。
- The matter is in your hands.这事要由你决定。
- As regards the next move,I am in your hands entirely.关于下一步我完全听你的。
- 3.on sb's hands表示“由某人负责”。例如:
- I have an empty house on my hands.有一所空房子要我照管。
- I don't know how Mrs. Jones manages with three growing children and an invalid husband on her hands.琼斯夫人有三个未成年的孩子和一个残废的丈夫要照看,我不知道她怎么应付得了。
- with a heavy hand, with a high hand, with a strong hand
- 这组短语的意思并不相同。其区别在于:with a high hand的意思是“专横的”; with a strong hand的意思是“用高压手段”; with a heavy hand的意思是“滥用一气”。例如:
- Well,I don't like him; he deals with everything with a high hand.是嘛,我不喜欢他,他做起事来总是专横。
- These bosses used to put the strike down with a strong hand.这些老板以往总是用高压手段来压制罢工。
- We are very short of water, so don't use it with a heavy hand as you usually do.我们用水短缺,因此不能像平时那样滥用一气。
- with open hands, with open arms
- with open arms的意思是“热情地”, with open hands则是“花钱大手大脚地”的意思。例如:
- We welcomed these foreign guests with open arms.我们热情地欢迎这些外宾。
- Susan spends her money with open hands.苏珊花钱大手大脚。
- lift a hand, lift one's hand
- 这两个短语的意思并不相同。其区别在于:lift a hand意思是“举手之劳”; 而lift one's hand意思是“举手”。例如:
- Please lift a hand to turn it over.请费心把它翻一下。
- The prisoner lifted his hand and pleaded not guilty.这个犯人举手来诉说自己无罪。
- hand on, on hand
- 这两个短语结构相同,词序不同,含义用法也不同。前者意为“传递”,是“ v.+adv. ”型短语动词,其后接传递的东西作宾语,再加to引出传给的对象。后者是“ prep.+n. ”型短语,作“在手头”解时在句中常用作状语,而作“在场”解时常用作表语。例如:
- Please hand on the magazine to Sybil. 请把这杂志传给西比尔。
- I have a great deal of important work on hand.我手头有许多重要的工作要做。
- Please be on hand at 11 sharp.请在11点整到这里来。
- hand in, in hand
- 这两个短语结构相同,词序不同,含义用法也不同,前者意为“上交”,是“ v.+adv. ”型短语动词,其后接上交的东西作宾语。后者是“ prep.+n. ”型短语,作“在手头”解时在句中常用作状语。例如:
- Each student has to hand in a composition.每个学生都要交一篇作文。
- I still have some money in hand.我手头还有些钱。
- lay a hand on, lay hands on
- 1.lay a hand on指“打一下”,而lay hands on则起码“打两下或两下以上”。试比较:
- Nobody has laid a hand on me yet.
- Nobody has laid hands on me yet.
- 2.lay hands on还可表示“找到”“弄到”,而lay a hand on无此义。
- Well,I should give my hand on the bargain.
- The young lady has given her hand to his request.
- 这位年轻的姑娘已经同意他的求婚请 求了。
- Your letter has come to hand.
- The key I lost this morning has come to my hand.
- Master Lu is an old hand in our factory.
- Mr. Wu is a green hand.
误 My every hand can lift the stone.
正 Each of my hands can lift the stone.
析 hand 作名词指一个人的手时,不可用every, none, any, all 作限定词。庆祝的日子临近了。
误 The day of celebration is in hand.
正 The day of celebration is at hand.
析 短语at hand意思是“在手边,在眼前”; in hand意为“在手里”。我抓住他的手。
误 I grabbed him by hand.
正 I grabbed him by the hand.
析 在表示“抓住某人的手”时, hand前要用定冠词the。他很聪明,但在另一方面,他又犯了许多错误。
误 He is clever, but in the other hand, he makes many mistakes.
正 He is clever, but on the other hand, he makes many mistakes.
析 on the other hand是固定短语,表示“另一方面”,其中介词on不可换为in。昨天谈到的每件事都跟我们决定要做的事情有直接关系。
误 Everything that was said yesterday bears in first hand on what we decide to do.
正 Everything that was said yesterday bears at first hand on what we decide to do.
析 at first hand为固定短语,意思是“直接地”,其中介词at不可换为in。他把手伸到衣兜里摸,试图找到那把钥匙。
误 He dived the hand into his pocket in an attempt to find the key.
正 He dived his hand into his pocket in an attempt to find the key.
误 Mr. Wood is a young hand in our factory.
正 Mr. Wood is a green hand in our factory.
析 a green hand为固定短语,意思是“生手”“新手”。那男孩双手抱着孩子。
误 The boy carried a baby in his hands.
正 The boy carried a baby in his arms.
正 The boy held a baby in his arms.
误 He handed the ticket-collector for his ticket at the entrance of the station.
正 He handed the ticket-collector his ticket at the entrance of the station.
正 He handed his ticket to the ticket-collector at the entrance of the station.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的hond；最初源自原始日耳曼语的khanduz，意为手，控制。
- foot 脚