- [C]壁炉 a space built into the wall of a building,made of brick or stone,in which fires are set
an open recess in a wall at the base of a chimney where a fire can be built;
"the fireplace was so large you could walk inside it"
"he laid a fire in the hearth and lit it"
"the hearth was black with the charcoal of many fires"
- She edged her chair nearer to the fireplace.
- The fireplace flamed up the opposite wall.
- The fireplace smokes badly.
- The flames of the fire licked the sides of the fireplace.