- v. 决定；决心；确定；测定
- vt. & vi. (使)下决心,(使)作出决定 (cause to) make a firm decision to do sth; (cause sth to) be decided
- vt. 确定,测定 fix or find out exactly
- vt. 限定; 制定; 支配 have a controlling influence on; have a direct and important effect on
- vt. 影响; 决定 decisively influence; fix
establish after a calculation, investigation, experiment, survey, or study;
"find the product of two numbers"
"The physicist who found the elusive particle won the Nobel Prize"
shape or influence; give direction to;
"experience often determines ability"
"mold public opinion"
fix conclusively or authoritatively;
"set the rules"
decide upon or fix definitely;
"fix the variables"
"specify the parameters"
reach, make, or come to a decision about something;
"We finally decided after lengthy deliberations"
fix in scope; fix the boundaries of;
"the tree determines the border of the property"
settle conclusively; come to terms;
"We finally settled the argument"
find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort;
"I want to see whether she speaks French"
"See whether it works"
"find out if he speaks Russian"
"Check whether the train leaves on time"
- Chance will determine the outcome.
- I must now determine whether to meet him or not.
- I am determined to find out the rights and wrongs of this matter.
- An inquest was held to determine the cause of his death.
- They used geology to determine likely sites for new oil wells.
- He has not yet fully determined.
- The lease determines next month.
- The board determined company policy.
- Who determines the overall production plan?
- Shall we determine a date for the meeting?
- Do heredity and environment determine a man's character?
- The amount of rainfall determines the quality of the crop.
- The size of your feet determines the size of your shoes.
- Meaning determines usage.
- A decision sometimes determines the future.
- Have you determined the title of your essay?
- Have you determined the date of wedding?
- Let's determine the meaning of the word.
- It is often difficult to determine the meaning of a word without a context.
- The policeman wanted to determine all the facts.
- Scientists have determined the speed of light.
- We may determine the height of a mountain by trigonometry.
- Have you determined the cause of the explosion?
- It was in the public interest to determine exactly what happened.
- His future has not yet been determined, but he may study medicine.
- She had been shot, whether by accident or not was as yet not determined.
- What country is indicated by that name has not yet been definitely determined.
- He has determined to give up smoking.
- He himself had determined to give his own life to the same cause.
- He determined to view the rooms behind the office.
- He frowned and determined to inquire thoroughly into the matter.
- He determined to travel no further that night.
- We determined to offer him some assistance.
- He determined to go to Brazil.
- They determined to face the crisis cheerfully.
- He determined to win the first prize.
- He determined to become commander-in-chief of the forces.
- He determined to work harder.
- We determined to do this at any cost.
- I determine to be bold and speak the truth.
- They determined to stay there till the year was up.
- For a long time he was determined to propose to her.
- We are determined to defend our motherland at all costs.
- He is determined to come.
- He is determined to break away all the bad habits.
- We are determined to fulfil the task.
- I was determined not to say a word.
- They are determined to persevere in the fight.
- We are determined to get the work done before May 1.
- The fighters were determined to take the enemy's stronghold at any cost.
- The task was difficult, but they were determined to see it out.
- He is determined to stick out the race even if he finishes last.
- She was determined to live within her income.
- Once I'm determined to do a thing, no one can stop me from doing it.
- But Chichester was determined to carry out his plan.
- She was determined not to follow his advice.
- I was excited by their conversations and became determined to write for the paper, too.
- He rose determined to have it out with them.
- Have they determined when to start?
- He has determined how to overcome the difficulties.
- She asked for help in determining where to hang the picture in her new flat.
- He determined that his son shall have a good education.
- He has determined that nothing shall prevent him from going to work in the countryside.
- We must determine that the measure should be taken.
- He determined that he would go at once.
- He determined that he would visit Germany next month.
- He determined that he would become an engineer.
- He determined that the patient should undergo the operation.
- The police determined that no crime had been committed.
- From the facts, he was able to determine conclusively that the death was not a suicide.
- An X-ray determined that no bones were broken.
- My mother is determined that I shall marry Jack.
- He is determined that the patient should undergo the operation.
- We were determined that this should never be allowed to happen again.
- He was determined that no one should know anything about it.
- Tomorrow we shall determine whether we shall go abroad or not.
- Usage determines what is good English.
- He has not determined what he will study.
- Have you determined where you are going to spend the holidays?
- Have they determined where the new school will be built?
- What we notice determines what we do; what we do determines what we experience.
- Shall we determine what we are going to do next?
- We must determine where the conference will take place.
- We should first try to determine how much it is going to cost.
- It is difficult to determine what his real motive is.
- The judge will determine who is telling the truth.
- A period of trial is often needed to determine whether something is right or wrong.
- I determine him to be a fool.
- Her encouragement determined me to carry on with the work.
- His advice determined me to drink and smoke no more.
- She hasn't determined what friends to invite to her birthday party.
- What determined you to accept the offer?
- These circumstances determined him to give up the study of medicine.
- She is a very determined woman.
- He launched a determined attack on academic criticism.
- By determined attacks, we broke down the enemy's resistance.
- I left him, determined never to set foot in that house again.
- determine against (v.+prep.)
使(某人)决定不做 cause (sb) to make sb's mind to give up sth or doing sth
determine sb against sth/v-ing
That determined her against leaving home.
- determine by (v.+prep.)
视…而定 come to decision by sth
be determined by sth
The type of engine adopted is determined by the use to which it is put.
The boundaries are determined by the mountains and rivers.
Men's ideas are determined by religion.
Our plans must be determined by circumstances.
The meaning of a word is partly determined by its use in the particular sentence.
- determine on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
决定,决心 come to a decision; resolve on
determine on/upon sth/v-ing
We at last determined on this problem.
We determined on a new method.
I determined upon a course of action.
They determined on an early start.
They determined on retaliation.
He has determined on going tomorrow.
He determined on carrying out the experiment.
I determined on going abroad.
I have determined on going to Tibet after graduation.
He has determined on proving his friend's innocence.
He is determined upon writing about the truth.
- determine a company policy 确定公司的方针
- determine a date 确定日期
- determine a matter 决定某事
- determine ability 断定能力
- determine distances 测定距离
- determine the direction of wind 测定风向
- determine the facts 确定事实
- determine the size of a room 判断房间的大小
- determine the word's meaning 确定词义
- determine velocity 测定速度
- determine beforehand 事先决定
- determine definitely 明确作出决定
- determine firmly 坚决要做某事
- determine fully 完全决定
- determine happily 高兴地决定
- determine largely 大体上确定
- determine ruthlessly 无情地决定
The death of Edward III determined the crisis.出自： W. Stubbs
- determine的基本意思是确定事物的界限或范围,指经调查或认真思考后明确地判断事物的真伪、是非,或确定问题所涉及的范围、性质、内容等,即“作出决定”或“使…决定”。凡是被决定的事而绝无疑问者大都用determine来表示。determine还含有决定后加以坚持的含义。常用于法律或科技方面等。引申可作“限定; 制定”解。
- determine可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词、代词、动词不定式(而不是动名词)或表示命令、请求的从句作宾语,还可接以“to be+ n. ”或动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。
- determine接介词against可表示“使某人决定不做某事”; 接介词on〔upon〕可表示“决心…,下决心…”。
He has determined to propose a new method.
- determined是过去时，表示“当时决定”，had determined表示“那时已经决定”，was determined表示“有决心的”。要注意前面两个都表示的是“一时的”，不可以与for a long time等表示时间段的词连用；
He has determined that his son shall have a good education.
- determine to-v, be determined to-v
- 1.determine to- v 中的determine是谓语动词; 而be determined
- to- v 中的determined是determine的过去分词,用于系表结构。
- 2.determine to- v 可表示“决定做某事”的动作,也可表示“决心做某事”的状态; 而be determined to- v 只表示“决心做某事”的状态。
- 3.determine是瞬间动词,不可与表示一段时间的状语连用; 而be determined则可与表示一段时间的状语连用。
- 4.人们的行事方法往往一经determine(决定,动作)便be determined(下决心,状态)。
- determine, decide, fix, make up one's mind, resolve, settle
- 1.decide是普通用词,指经过讨论、思考消除分歧而对是非、优劣、取舍等问题“作出决定”; resolve强调信念的目的性; 而settle则强调最后的“决定”。例如:
- From that moment she resolved to trace the unknown element.从那时起,她决心找出这种未知的元素。
- He resolved that nothing should hold back.他决心不为任何阻碍所挫。
- The heavy rain might settle the changeable weather.这场大雨也许能使变幻不定的天气稳定下来。
- His advice determined me against further delay.他的劝告使我决定不再拖延。
- He is determined to break away all the bad habits.他决心改掉所有坏习惯。
- An X-ray determined that no bones were broken.经X光测定,没有发生骨折。
- Once the aim is fixed, we should not change it arbitrarily.目标一经确定,我们就不要随意改变。
- 4.make up one's mind指下决心做某事,不再改变。例如:
- Have you made up your mind about it?关于这件事,你拿定主意了没有?
- They have made up their minds to set off tomorrow afternoon.他们决定明天下午动身。
- determine, ascertain, discover, learn, unearth
- discover指经过调查、探索去发现已经存在或可能存在、事实上的东西,这种发现也可能出于偶然; ascertain很少指偶然的发现,侧重先前的无知与无把握,以及认真地去发现真理或真相; determine比ascertain更强调寻找事实或真理,以解决争端或争执,主要用于科学和法律方面; unearth指将隐藏的、被遗忘的、失去的或极其难以追寻的东西公之于众或暴露于世,常常强调发现以前所做的认真长期的调查; learn指获得知识,发现者一般没有或很少花多大力气。例如:
- The surgeon general has determined that cigarette smoking is dangerous to our health.卫生局长已确定吸烟危害健康。
- The question is to ascertain what the people really want.问题在于一定要弄清人们究竟需要什么。
- We discovered the powder consisting of harmful ingredients.我们发现这种粉末含有害成分。
- Projecting ourselves into the future world, we should learn as much as we can now.设想一下处身于未来的世界当中,我们现在就应该尽可能多学一点东西。
- They have unearthed the secret.他们已经发现了这个秘密。
- ☆ 15世纪后期进入英语，直接源自古法语的determiner，意为结束；最初源自古典拉丁语的determinare：de (分开） + terminare (分界），意为设定期限。