a stronghold into which people could go for shelter during a battle
- Here was a citadel in the Second World War.
- This citadel is built on high ground for protecting the city.
- Some of the rebels were killed in the act of storming the citadel.
- He made a citadel of personal excellence.
- They once were icons of integrity, citadels of civilization, bastions of benevolence.
- the citadel "城堡"
To collect all the remaining strength..in a mountain citadel.出自： C. Thirlwall
The French had had to evacuate their troops from the citadel in Aleppo.出自： W. S. Churchill
The university figured as the citadel of conservatism.出自： L. Trilling