- [C]堡垒,城堡 a strongly made building used for defences at some important place
a fortified military post where troops are stationed
a fortified defensive structure
gather in, or as if in, a fort, as for protection or defense
enclose by or as if by a fortification
station (troops) in a fort
- The men in the fort sallied at dawn.
- They built an adobe fort, which is now a museum.
- The enemy soon occupied the fort.
- The artillery was deployed to bear on the fort.
- The ambushed party held the fort desperately till reinforcements arrived.