- n. 鸡；鸡肉；胆小者
- adj. 懦弱的；胆小的
- vi. 失去勇气
- [C]小鸡 a bird that people keep on farms for its eggs and meat
- [U]鸡肉 the meat of cock or hen eaten as food
the flesh of a chicken used for food
a domestic fowl bred for flesh or eggs; believed to have been developed from the red jungle fowl
a person who lacks confidence, is irresolute and wishy-washy
a foolhardy competition; a dangerous activity that is continued until one competitor becomes afraid and stops
- He has a chicken farm.
- He is mending the wire mesh in front of the chicken coop.
- This soup tastes of chicken.
- There was fried chicken for dinner.
- Don't be a chicken.
- I was terrified, but I didn't want the others to think I was chicken.
- They thought I was chicken when I refused to go with them.
- The boy chickened out of climbing up the tree.
- I wanted to tell the boss what I thought, but I chickened out at the last minute.
- The hawk snatched the chicken and flew away.
- The new feed can fatten the chickens up quickly enough for market.
- The old man likes raising rabbits, chickens, dogs and horses.
- The farmyard was quiet, with just a few chickens scratching about.
- They had chicken breasts for supper.
- We all can eat off this large chicken for three days.
- You can render the chicken down to make stock for soup.
- For Christmas, we stuff the chicken with a mixture of bread and flavourings.
- chicken feed
为数甚微的款项; 小额钱币 paltry amount 〔sum〕
- count one's chickens (before they are hatched)
过于乐观 count on the outcome of sth before it has happened
- boil chicken 煮鸡
- bone a chicken 给鸡去骨
- cook chicken 烹鸡,煮鸡
- count one's chickens 数鸡
- dress a chicken 把鸡开膛洗净
- eat a chicken 吃鸡
- feed chickens 喂鸡
- kill a chicken 杀鸡
- open a chicken 把鸡开膛
- raise chickens 养鸡
- sell chickens 卖小鸡
- boiled chicken 煮熟的鸡
- fat chicken 肥胖的鸡
- roasted chicken 烤熟的鸡
- spring chicken 没有经验的年轻人,黄毛丫头
- young chicken 小鸡
- a brood of chickens 一群小鸡
- chicken可以指作为家禽的鸡,也可指作为食品的鸡肉。作“小鸡”解时是个体名词,可数; 作“鸡肉”解时则是物质名词,不可数。
误 The chicken laid an egg.
正 The hen laid an egg.
析 能下蛋的是成熟的母鸡,应该用hen; chicken是指小鸡,尚不到成熟期。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的chiken；最初源自古英语的cycen，意为小公鸡。
- cowardly 懦弱的
- lily-livered 胆怯的
- yellow 黄色的
- frightened 受惊的
- scared 害怕的
- reluctant 不情愿的
- fearful 担心的
- apprehensive 忧虑的
- jumpy 跳跃的
- craven 懦弱的
- meat 肉
- afraid 抱歉的
- coward 懦夫
- quitter 对工作半途而废的人; （...
- weakling 虚弱的人
- deserter 背弃者
- runaway 逃跑者
- scaredy-cat 胆小鬼
- volaille 鸡肉
- wimp 懦弱的人
- crybaby 爱哭的孩子
- Gallus gallus 原鸡
- white-livered 苍白憔悴的
- chickenhearted 胆小的
- yellow-bellied (鸟)腹部黄色的...