- adj. 苦的；痛苦的；辛酸的；激烈的
- adv. 激烈地；极其
- vt. 使变苦
- n. 苦涩；苦酒；苦的东西
- 苦的,有苦味的 having a sharp taste like aspirin or unsweetened coffee; not sweet
- 难以接受的,引起悲伤的,不受欢迎的 difficult to accept causing sorrow; unwelcome
- 怨恨的,失望的 caused by, feeling or showing envy, hated or disappointment
- [A]严寒的,刺骨的 piercingly cold
- [U]苦啤酒 bitter beer strongly flavoured with hops
English term for a dry sharp-tasting ale with strong flavor of hops (usually on draft)
the taste experience when quinine or coffee is taken into the mouth
the property of having a harsh unpleasant taste
marked by strong resentment or cynicism;
"an acrimonious dispute"
"bitter about the divorce"
very difficult to accept or bear;
"the bitter truth"
"a bitter sorrow"
harsh or corrosive in tone;
"an acerbic tone piercing otherwise flowery prose"
"a barrage of acid comments"
"her acrid remarks make her many enemies"
"caustic jokes about political assassination, talk-show hosts and medical ethics"
"a sulfurous denunciation"
"a vitriolic critique"
expressive of severe grief or regret;
"shed bitter tears"
proceeding from or exhibiting great hostility or animosity;
"a bitter struggle"
causing a sharp and acrid taste experience;
"quinine is bitter"
causing a sharply painful or stinging sensation; used especially of cold;
"a biting wind"
extremely and sharply;
"it was bitterly cold"
- The medicine has a bitter taste.
- The defeat was a bitter pill to swallow.
- She wept bitter tears over the loss of her lover.
- Her voice took on a sudden bitter note.
- His story brought back our bitter past .
- The bitter quarrel ended their friendship.
- He is bitter in his condemnation of terrorism.
- It has stopped snowing, but there's a bitter cold wind.
- Green tea, unlike black tea, has not been oxidized and can easily turn bitter if not made properly.
- The star is called Wormwood, and a third of the waters was turned into wormwood and many people died because of the water which had turned bitter.
- He has tasted the sweets and bitters of life.
- A pint of bitter, please.
- I like the coffee to taste a little bitter.
- In the past, however, most medicines were very bitter tasting.
- bitter almonds 苦杏仁
- bitter apple 药西瓜
- bitter argument 激烈的争论
- bitter chill 刺骨的寒气
- bitter cold 刺骨的寒冷
- bitter complaints 愤恨的控诉
- bitter disappointment 极度的失望
- bitter end 最后，终结，死亡
- bitter enemies 死敌
- bitter experience 惨痛的教训
- bitter fighting 鏖战
- bitter foes 死敌
- bitter hardships 难以忍受的艰辛
- bitter hatred 刻骨的仇恨
- bitter lesson 痛苦的教训
- bitter man 不好惹的人
- bitter pill 不得不吞下的苦果
- bitter quarrel 激烈的争吵
- bitter sorrow 极度的悲伤
- bitter taste 苦味；后悔和不安的强烈感觉
- bitter wine 带苦味的葡萄酒
- bitter winter 寒冬
- bitter wound 重伤
- taste bitter 尝起来苦
All words..Failing to give the bitter of the sweet.出自： Tennyson
Woman is a Mixture of Sweets and Bitters.出自： E. Jong
All men are agreed to call vinegar sour, honey sweet, and aloes bitter.出自： Burke
Without sugar or cream it was bitter as gall.出自： M. Mitchell
Bitter and very toxic leaves which even goats will not sample.出自： Anthony Huxley