not functioning properly;
"something is amiss"
"has gone completely haywire"
"something is wrong with the engine"
away from the correct or expected course;
"something has gone awry in our plans"
"something went badly amiss in the preparations"
in an improper or mistaken or unfortunate manner;
"if you think him guilty you judge amiss"
"he spoke amiss"
"no one took it amiss when she spoke frankly"
in an imperfect or faulty way;
"The lobe was imperfectly developed"
"Miss Bennet would not play at all amiss if she practiced more"
- Something is amiss when a boy does not eat for days.
- Everything goes amiss with him,he has certainly bad luck.
- Everything goes amiss with him. He has certainly bad luck.
- Perhaps crop husbandry is amiss.
- Is there anything amiss?
- Nothing has ever gone amiss since he took charge of the school.
- Something must have gone amiss. He's not here to meet us.
- A few words of introduction may not come amiss.
- If anything fell out amiss,they would reconsider it.
Our Archyers shet neuer arowe amys.出自： Caxton
It is good to speak dubiously about futurity. It is likewise not amiss to hope.出自： S. Johnson
Apt to see wrong and speak amiss.出自： H. Martineau
Ursula wondered if something was amiss, and if the wedding would yet all go wrong.出自： D. H. Lawrence
Slight dizzy spell this afternoon...I wonder if anything could be amiss with my hearing.出自： S. J. Perelman