the act of accepting with approval; favorable reception;
"its adoption by society"
"the proposal found wide acceptance"
a legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood; the adopted child is entitled to all privileges belonging to a natural child of the adoptive parents (including the right to inherit)
the appropriation (of ideas or words etc) from another source;
"the borrowing of ancient motifs was very apparent"
- The adoption of the new technology improved the production.
- This principle goes to reducing barriers to adoption.
- The word is now English by adoption.
- The adoption of this policy would relieve the unions of a tremendous burden.
- He was pleased by the adoption of a little girl.
- They resigned their child to an adoption agency.