a former executive department of the United States government; created in 1789 and combined with the Navy Department in 1947
- He applied to the War Department for a pension.
- The direction and weight of their assault was still unknown when I arrived at the War Department.
- The war department, recognizing this, gave to each theater commander considerable credits to be used when needed.
- We had few men capable of analyzing intelligently such information as did come to the notice of the War Department.
- The War Department had achieved a gratifying level of efficiency before the outbreak of war.
- Smith's report was not officially okayed by the War Department for Release until July 9.