- [U] 联合,结合,合并 the act of joining or state of being joined into one
- [C] 联盟,联邦; 工会; 俱乐部 a group of countries or state joined together; association or club formed by uniting parts, state, etc.
- [U] 和睦,一致 a state of agreement and unity
- [C] 结婚,婚姻 (unity in) marriage
an organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer;
"you have to join the union in order to get a job"
the United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War);
"he has visited every state in the Union"
"Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"
"the North's superior resources turned the scale"
the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes;
"the casual couplings of adolescents"
"the mating of some species occurs only in the spring"
the state of being joined or united or linked;
"there is strength in union"
the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce);
"a long and happy marriage"
"God bless this union"
healing process involving the growing together of the edges of a wound or the growing together of broken bones
a political unit formed from previously independent people or organizations;
"the Soviet Union"
a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets;
"let C be the union of the sets A and B"
the occurrence of a uniting of separate parts;
"lightning produced an unusual union of the metals"
a device on a national flag emblematic of the union of two or more sovereignties (typically in the upper inner corner)
the act of making or becoming a single unit;
"the union of opposing factions"
"he looked forward to the unification of his family for the holidays"
being of or having to do with the northern United States and those loyal to the Union during the American Civil War;
"a Federal infantryman"
of trade unions;
"the union movement"
"a union-shop clause in the contract"
- They had a sound basis of union.
- He was elected the leader of the union.
- He has changed his stance on monetary union.
- All the nationalities live together in perfect union.
- Nine States seceded from the Union government and established their own confederate government.
- Some of the union members did not want to picket.
- A democrat usually gets the union's endorsement.
- Union between the two countries would be impossible.
- In union there is strength.
- The president gave his speech on the state of the Union.
- The Student Union is〔are〕 holding election today.
- They lived in unspoiled union.
- God will bless this union.
- betray the union 出卖联盟
- break up〔dissolve〕 the union 解散工会
- cement the union 加强团结
- defend〔destroy, oppose, split, support〕 a union 保卫〔破坏,反对,分裂,支持〕联盟
- effect a union 实现联合
- encourage〔hinder, promote〕 the union of 鼓励〔阻碍,促进〕…的联合
- enter in〔establish, organize〕 a union 参加〔建立,组织〕联盟
- form〔join〕 a union 组织〔加入〕工会
- federal〔international, national〕 union 联邦〔国际,全国〕联盟
- happy〔perfect〕 union 美满〔完美〕的婚姻
- postal union 邮政工会
- powerful〔strong〕 union 强大的组织
- in union 共同,一致,融洽
The union of church and state.出自： E. Miall
The..member states..hope to achieve monetary union.出自：Which?
- union, junction
- 这两个词的共同意思是“连接”“接合”。junction指两者在某一点的“连接”“接合”,也可指道路等的会合点,尤指其中一条路在此终止,还可指河流、河道的合流处; union指两者“连接”“结合”“合并”“融合”在一起,强调相互交叉渗透。
- union, unity
- 这两个词都可表示“联合为一,结合为一”。前者强调结合或联合成的个体; 后者则强调由两个以上的人或物结合为一或联合成一个的单一体。
- ☆ 15世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的union；最初源自晚期拉丁语的unionem，意为统一、联合。