- [C]镇,集〔市〕镇 a large area with houses and other buildings where people live and work, usually smaller than a city and larger than a village
- [S]城镇居民 all the people who live in such a place
- [U](市镇的)商业中心或闹市区 the business or shopping centre of a town
- an urban area with a fixed boundary that is smaller than a city;
"they drive through town on their way to work"
- the people living in a municipality smaller than a city;
"the whole town cheered the team"
- an administrative division of a county;
"the town is responsible for snow removal"
- United States architect who was noted for his design and construction of truss bridges (1784-1844)
- The town was invaded by reporters.
- It's a great convenience to live in town.
- Would you rather live in a town, or in the country?
- The town has been designated a development area.
- He lived in a town beside the sea.
- The town boasts four swimming pools.
- We are well served with gas in this town.
- The whole town is talking about it.
The town lies on a hill.
This town has a charm you couldn't find in a big city.
The little town had been torn to pieces by the enemy's guns.
What a hole that town is!
My home town is a beautiful town.
The fire was the worst disaster ever to hit the town.
The police beat the town for the fugitive.
The old couple will attempt to leave the town as soon as possible.
High flood waters put the town in danger.
They have visited four towns here.
It was all the loot taken by soldiers from the captured town.
There are many lanes in the town.
Would you rather live in a town or in the country?
He is a man of great influence in this town.
I have noticed a number of improvements in this town since I was here last.
The young man found a well paid job in a small town.
He drew a sketch map of that town.
The rainstorm caused floods in the low-lying parts of the town.
For the well-to-do a summer holiday out of town is not uncommon.
How far is it to the nearest town?
We must not fail to acknowledge his services to the town.
We were doing shopping in town.
The landlord left his home for jobs in town.
I decided to cycle into town instead of taking the bus.
We are going to town tomorrow morning.
He is spending the weekend in town.
The whole town knows of it.
The whole town are furious about the council's education policy.
I prefer the country to the town.
- go to town
〈口〉以极大的精力或热情做…(尤指滥花钱) do sth with great vigour or enthusiasm, especially by spending a lot of money
I only asked him to tell me briefly how it works but he went to town and spent a quarter of an hour explaining it in the minutest detail. 我只要他简单地告诉我这怎么用,可是他详细地把它讲解了一刻钟。
You ordered a new cooker, fridge and washing machine?You really went to town! 你订购了新的炊具、冰箱和洗衣机了吗?你真够大手大脚了!
- 〈口〉以极大的精力或热情做…(尤指滥花钱) do sth with great vigour or enthusiasm, especially by spending a lot of money
- on the town
〈美口〉在城里寻欢作乐(尤指夜间) enjoying oneself with food, drink, entertainment, etc., especially at night
He spent last night on the town—no wonder he's got a headache this morning. 他昨晚在城里寻欢作乐——怪不得今天早晨他头痛。
For a birthday treat they took him out on the town. 他们为庆祝他的生日请他去城里娱乐场所玩。
- 〈美口〉在城里寻欢作乐(尤指夜间) enjoying oneself with food, drink, entertainment, etc., especially at night
- blow town 突然离开城市
- build a town 修建一个城镇
- come to town 到市区,到场,露面
- destroy a town 摧毁一个城镇
- develop a town 发展一个城镇
- dislike a town 不喜欢一个城镇
- go down town 到市中心区去
- go to town 进城,以极大的精力或热情做…
- go up to town 上城里去,〈英〉上伦敦去
- lay out a town 设计一座城镇
- leave the town 离城
- like a town 喜欢一个城镇
- live in a town 住在一个城镇里
- occupy a town 占领一座城镇
- paint the town red 狂欢,痛饮,胡闹
- rebuild a town 重建一个城镇
- ruin a town 毁灭一个城镇
- seize a town 夺取一座城镇
- spring up town 建立城镇
- upset the town 使市民心烦意乱
- visit a town 参观一个城镇
- beautiful town 美丽的城镇
- big town 大城镇
- busy town 热闹的市镇
- clean town 清洁的城镇
- deserted town 久已荒废没有居民的市镇
- developing town 正在发展中的城镇
- great town 伟大的城镇
- growing town 扩大中的城镇
- industrial town 工业市镇
- large town 大城镇
- little town 小城
- local town 当地的城镇
- many towns 许多城镇
- modern town 现代化的城镇
- new town 新的城镇
- old town 老的城镇
- sleepy town 沉睡的城镇
- small town 小镇
- whole town 全城
- coast town 沿海市镇
- country town 村镇
- county town 县城
- home town 故乡
- market town 集镇
- model town 模范市镇
- steel town 钢都
In time to catch the next train up to Town.出自：J. S. Winter
In the little town of Kail..there were three..markets.出自：A. Gordon
He had gone into town.出自：D. Lessing
Down the steep hill into the centre of town.出自：Day Lewis
- town也可作“市区,商业区,闹市”“(一个地区的)主要城市”解,此时是不可数名词,一般不与冠词连用。其前常加down, in, into, to等词,表示“往〔在,到〕城里”。in town在英式英语里常指“在伦敦”。
- the town有时还可指“都市生活”。
- town, city
这两个词的共同意思是“城市”或“城镇”。其区别在于:1.city一般指规模较大或较重要的城市; town则一般指比city规模较小的城镇。例如:The big city bewildered the old woman from the countryside.大城市把乡下来的老奶奶弄糊涂了。The old couple will attempt to leave the town as soon as possible.这对老夫妇想要尽快离开这个小城。2.city在美国比在英国更常用,大小相当于英国的town的市镇在美国都可以叫做 city ; 而town则在英国比在美国更常用,一个在美国可以称之为city的都市,在英国仍可叫做town。3.town有时也可指城市的商业中心区,还可用以指整个城镇居民。例如:The whole town knew of it.全城(居民)都知道这件事。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的utn，意为庄园。
- town:town n. 市镇, 城镇Google提供的广告习惯用语come to town 到城里来 到场, 露面 成为普通人, 变得平凡 出生down town (从郊区或郊外高地)进城 [美]城市的商业区…