- 因此,为此,所以 as a result; for that reason; so
- 故…,由此得出 as this proves; it follows that
(used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result;
"therefore X must be true"
"the eggs were fresh and hence satisfactory"
"we were young and thence optimistic"
"it is late and thus we must go"
"the witness is biased and so cannot be trusted"
as a consequence;
"he had good reason to be grateful for the opportunities which they had made available to him and which consequently led to the good position he now held"
- He was the only candidate; therefore, he was elected.
- We do not have enough money. Therefore we can not afford to buy the new car.
- I was ill, and therefore I could not come.
- He was very tired, and therefore he didn't give the market report.
- They therefore can do nothing good of themselves.
- The apartment house was being torn down; therefore we had to move.
- It rained; therefore the football match was postponed.
- The sentence can, therefore, be expected to be severe.
- I was ill, and therefore could not come.
- These birds are very rare and therefore protected by law.
- I have never been to the US and therefore I do not know much about it.
- I think, therefore I exist.
The love I had therefor.出自： W. Morris
Machines for resurfacing ice rinks and parts and fittings therefor.出自：Trade Marks Journal
- therefore, accordingly, consequently, hence, so, then, thereupon, thus
- 这组词的共同意思是“因此; 所以; 于是”,它们的区别是：
- 1.so, then和thus是一般用词; accordingly, consequently, hence, therefore和thereupon是正式用词。
- 3.accordingly, consequently, hence, therefore, thereupon和thus都表示因果关系。accordingly语气较缓和,常译为“于是”; consequently一般不强调因果间的必然联系,而只是根据逻辑推理得出的结果; hence表示合理的推断,指出原因及其必然结果,但更强调原因; therefore强调因果间的逻辑关系,多用于表示严密推理或精确论证的郑重场合,故常用在数学、逻辑学等领域; thereupon则指“作为…的结果”; thus的意思和hence, therefore相近,但更正式庄重。
- 4.accordingly常位于(分句)句首或句中; consequently, hence常位于(分句)句首; so只用于分句句首; then常用于分句句首,有时用于句末; therefore和thereupon常用于(分句)句首,有时用于句中; thus常用于(分句)句首。
- 5.consequently, hence, so, then, therefore和thereupon前有时可加and; accordingly前偶尔可加and; thus前一般不可加and。
- 6.hence常引导省略句; thus还可跟现在分词短语表示结果或目的。
- therefore, somehow
- 两者含义并不相同:therefore的意思是“因此”,上文要交代原因或理由; somehow的意思是“反正”,上下文无需说明原因或理由。例如:
- He is not honest; therefore I don't trust him.他不老实,因而我不信任他。
- Somehow I don't trust him.反正我不信任他。